iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

new husky

Started by ktowne030311, February 27, 2015, 12:23:37 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

ktowne030311

Just added a husqvarna 395xp to my collection 8). Took it as partial trade for an atv I was selling. Can this saw run a stihl bar and chain? what's the biggest i can run?
Here's some pics

[img width=640
https://forestryforum.com/gallery/albums/userpics/37572/20150219_112218_Danby_Rd.jpg[/img]

McCulloch 5-49, Ms290/390 frankenstein, 030av, 051av

old guy

First off, why do you want to? do you have a Stihl bar & chain to use up?
It takes a little modification to the bar to make it work. If you just want to run Stihl chain, buy the same size chain from Stihl and put it on the Husky bar.
  Nice looking saw by the way.
   John

HolmenTree

No modification to the Stihl bar needed. You just need an adapter clip or spacer to put on the Husqvarna bar studs to fill the gap.
Most cases you will need a longer loop of chain then what the bar calls for to fit the Husky

I run 28 32 and 36" b/c on my 395XP Like the 28" the best for all round cutting..
Making a living with a saw since age 16.

SawTroll

Quote from: HolmenTree on February 27, 2015, 12:48:44 PM
No modification to the Stihl bar needed. You just need an adapter clip or spacer to put on the Husqvarna bar studs to fill the gap.
Most cases you will need a longer loop of chain then what the bar calls for to fit the Husky

I run 28 32 and 36" b/c on my 395XP Like the 28" the best for all round cutting..

And/or you can grind the slot in the bar longer.  ;)
Information collector.

HolmenTree

Yeah but then you'd have to drill a new oil hole too.......hard to do on most bars with their hardened rails.

I just put my 066- 28" bar on my 395 the other day . Only had to add 1 extra drive link count to the loop and a S bar pad adapter for the slot.  ;)

SawTroll

Quote from: HolmenTree on February 27, 2015, 02:04:09 PM
Yeah but then you'd have to drill a new oil hole too.......hard to do on most bars with their hardened rails.

Are tou sure of that? Never heard of it before, although the topic has been up a zillion times on different saw forums?  ???
Information collector.

old guy

Yeah I wasn't thinking clearly when I posted, I had to make the slot a little longer on  an 18" Stihl bar to put it on my 372. :-\

JOHN

SawTroll

Quote from: old guy on February 27, 2015, 05:09:00 PM
Yeah I wasn't thinking clearly when I posted, I had to make the slot a little longer on  an 18" Stihl bar to put it on my 372. :-\

JOHN

I bet you had to, as I experienced the same!  :)
Information collector.

HolmenTree

Here's some pics of my 395 with a Stihl 28" bar. Notice on the bar  28" and 91 DL stamped on it.
Normally a Husqvarna takes 2 extra drive link chain then what Stihl specs for their bar. But I want to be able to swap the bar chain between the 2 saws so rather then make a 93 DL loop I made a 92DL.
Now notice I didn't have to file out the bar slot, still room for adjustment for a 93DL chain. Depending on the Husqvarna saw , different bar brands in the 3003 Stihl mount and if you run a 8 pin 3/8 sprocket or not, you may have to drill an extra oil hole.
In my case with a 8 pin sprocket and if I had used a 91 DL chain with the Stihl bar slot filed ahead then the oil hole would be covered up with a new chain put on.

gary courtney

HolmenTree

For the adapter clips?
I'll have to look in my inventory for a bag of them with a tag on it.May no longer be available
I had these since 1989 when I worked for Stihl Canada.  I was pushing the "new" at the time 044AV to Husqvarna endusers , notably the 268XP that was the competition  for the 044.
We'd switch over b/c's with the adapters.

The big block 395XP has a slightly wider bar stud placement so a simple modification to the adapter clip with a pair of needle nose pliers makes it fit fine.

Thank You Sponsors!