boring machine question

Started by zelpatsmot, February 13, 2012, 06:24:52 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

zelpatsmot

Hi everyone

I've located a beam machine for sale that is in 'almost good shape'

It's a snell similar to this one ...

When you go to reverse the tool out of a mortise it 'slips' gears sometimes

It appears the gear rack has either worn a bit or it has been shifted further away from the gears.

I think I could fasten the gear rack closer to the gears and that would eliminate the problem, thoughts? experiences?

thanks in advance

beenthere

Bushings worn? or need to add some bushings where there is wear?

Maybe add a shim washer to tighten up the gears?
south central Wisconsin
It may be that my sole purpose in life is simply to serve as a warning to others

Macgyver

I'm pretty sure my older machine has oval shaped holes that mount the rack that will allow you to loosen them to adjust the rack position in or out with respect to the climbing gear on the horizontal shaft.  When you say "reverse the tool out of the mortise", do you actually reverse the direction that you're cranking the handles?  Also, how loose is the climbing gear on the horizontal shaft?  if it's really loose, it could definitely be causing some issues, and it might be possible to remove it, and add a sleeve to tighten up the ID.
Smile! It confuses people

Jim_Rogers

Normally to lift the sliding carriage head out of the timber with the bit, you turn the handles one full turn in reverse to back the tip of the lead screw out of the bottom of the hole.
This reduces the amount of pressure put onto the lifting gears.
It is possible that this was not done by previous users. Thus wearing some of the gears.

We usually slide that lift gear over to the rack gear and turn the handles in the normal boring direction to lift the sliding head up.

If there is some wear then it maybe necessary to move the rack gear slightly forward so that it engages with the round lifting gear correctly.

As mentioned there maybe oval holes. If not you may need to do something else in order to move it forward just a little bit.

Jim Rogers
Whatever you do, have fun doing it!
Woodmizer 1994 LT30HDG24 with 6' Bed Extension

Thank You Sponsors!