iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

hedgelaying usa

Started by Butlerslogs, January 05, 2015, 02:53:50 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Butlerslogs

Hi im from the uk and was wondering, do they lay hedges in america?

Jeff

I had to google it as I was not acquainted with the term. I've never seen it in the great lakes region, but this is a big country. 

Tell us about it! It looks interesting. :)
Just call me the midget doctor.
Forestry Forum Founder and Chief Cook and Bottle Washer.

Commercial circle sawmill sawyer in a past life for 25yrs.
Ezekiel 22:30

Southside

Had to look it up myself, have never seen it, but looks like it would work quite well. 
Franklin buncher and skidder
JD Processor
Woodmizer LT Super 70 and LT35 sawmill, KD250 kiln, BMS 250 sharpener and setter
Riehl Edger
Woodmaster 725 and 4000 planner and moulder
Enough cows to ensure there is no spare time.
White Oak Meadows

Butlerslogs

Basically hedges in the uk are usually on banks of dirt, there either attacked with a flail topper or laid. with laying a hedge you thin out the hedge getting rid of any dead or dieing timber and undergrowth like brambles (we usually use a top handle chainsaw for this!) then the fun begins! you get in the middlle of the hedge and look were you can lay what tree. when you lay a tree you cut two thirds of the way into the bottom of the tree in a diagonal fashion down wards! you then push the tree over CAREFULLY!! and keep the stump intact, once youve done this you go along and crook the timber down! the trees will start to
OFFSITE IMAGES NOT ALLOWED.
something like this!

Southside

Is there a particular type of tree that this is better suited for?  I was thinking of our tulip poplar, but it would be bare in the winter, not sure if these are intended to stay green all year or not. 
Franklin buncher and skidder
JD Processor
Woodmizer LT Super 70 and LT35 sawmill, KD250 kiln, BMS 250 sharpener and setter
Riehl Edger
Woodmaster 725 and 4000 planner and moulder
Enough cows to ensure there is no spare time.
White Oak Meadows

beenthere

Looked it up as well, and this video tells a bit about it.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=iGncS_lojlI

Reminds me of the experiences the Allied forces had with the hedgerows in France that were so hard to get through, until they finally outfitted the tanks with plows to bust through them.

Don't see much if any of that activity in the USA.
south central Wisconsin
It may be that my sole purpose in life is simply to serve as a warning to others

Butlerslogs

Ash or blackthorne is ok but willow is the best! theres also a diffrent lay style in each diffrent county in the uk!

treeslayer2003

i have a buddy in Scotland that does it, i learned just a little from him........can't seem to think of any of the terms he used at the moment......

pleach?

treeslayer2003

Butlerslogs

pleach is where you strip out any unwanted timber!

mad murdock

I have seen videos of hedgelaying competition, It is quite the art.  I haven't ever seen a live hedge over here in the states.  It is a good idea though, especially for keeping smaller herd animals.
Turbosawmill M6 (now M8) Warrior Ultra liteweight, Granberg Alaskan III, lots of saws-gas powered and human powered :D

Jeff

Just call me the midget doctor.
Forestry Forum Founder and Chief Cook and Bottle Washer.

Commercial circle sawmill sawyer in a past life for 25yrs.
Ezekiel 22:30

treeslayer2003

47sawdust

I was wondering when someone was going to comment on the way Jeff's looking.
Looks like he's getting into the purple drank a little heavy.
Might be time for an intervention,suppose we ought to have Poston pay him a visit
Mick
1997 WM Lt30 1999 WM twin blade edger Kubota L3750 Tajfun winchGood Health Work is my hobby.

submarinesailor

Quote from: 47sawdust on January 06, 2015, 05:05:40 PM
Might be time for an intervention,suppose we ought to have Poston pay him a visit

It's way too cold for him to go that far north. :D ;D :o :D ;D :o :D ;D :o ;)

Bruce

rjdankert

Quote from: Butlerslogs on January 05, 2015, 02:53:50 PM
Hi im from the uk and was wondering, do they lay hedges in america?

We do, but I have not seen one in my area (SW Michigan).  Of course that doesn't mean they are not around.  What I have seen are Osage Orange planted for fence rows.

From Wikipedia:  "The sharp-thorned trees were also planted as cattle-deterring hedges before the introduction of barbed wire . . .".

Sorry I could not figure out how to post a link.  If you are interested search for "osage orange" or "hedge apple".

Thank You Sponsors!