iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

Loading/Handling Logs with a tractor.

Started by WV TreeTopper, February 07, 2020, 06:03:02 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

WV TreeTopper

Hey hows it going everybody? I have a 60 horse Newholland Work Master that I use to load logs with. Currently I am without a grapple bucket so I am wrapping to chains around the bucket on the tractor with a set of basic logging tongs . This is the way I have been doing it since day one and it works great but I am on and off the tractor 1000 times a day. I know a grapple bucket would be best but not quit ready to spend 1000 - 1500 on one. Was just curious if there were any other methods or tools to make it a bit smoother other than forks. I have a tree service and have to deal with tight spots loading logs a good bit which forks do not work well with. 

Nebraska

I have a very similar sized tractor and I use the tongs and chains   method or slide pallet forks under the log to move. The forks  work  fine as long as you are on level ground and can balance the log and go slowly. A grapple bucket is a better answer and its on my short list of equipment wants/needs. 

A-z farmer

We have grab hooks welded on our buckets in at least three spots and we use at lest 2 chains for picking up anything.We also use pallet forks and Zimmerman hay forks for moving logs .Everyone must use caution when using chains because I watched a tractor tip over sideways with my dad operating it because the chain slid on the bucket in 1965.

WV TreeTopper

are the grab hooks your talking about mounted on top of the bucket and swing freely so you can grab stuff with out getting of the tractor?

Magicman

There are times when this works very well.  That is a 20' log.

End tongs salvaged from junked logging tongs.
Knothole Sawmill, LLC     '98 Wood-Mizer LT40SuperHydraulic   WM Million BF Club Member   WM Pro Sawyer Network

It's Weird being the Same Age as Old People

Never allow your "need" to make money to exceed your "desire" to provide quality service.....The Magicman

Old Greenhorn

WHo made the grapple fingers for their bucket last year? Neat build. Can't find the thread.
Tom Lindtveit, Woodsman Forest Products
Oscar 328 Band Mill, Husky 350, 450, 562, & 372 (Clone), Mule 3010, and too many hand tools. :) Retired and trying to make a living to stay that way. NYLT Certified.
OK, maybe I'm the woodcutter now.
I work with wood, There is a rumor I might be a woodworker.

DennisK

WV Sawmiller

@Nebraska ,

He already said he was sawing in WV so the "level" ground issue will not apply. :D

I don't have nearly as big a tractor set up as you do. My little FEL bucket has 2 forks that bolt to the sides of the bucket  and extend 20" past the front of the bucket. I use a couple of Hitch type pins to quickly connect and disconnect the forks. These are what I use to smaller logs that my rig will lift or to unload the sawed boards on to when I remove them from the mill. Could you fabricate and use something like this? The grapple would likely be easier to use and safer to hold the log down. I don't have a set/pair of log tongs but I think David Poston uses them on a loader to quicker and efficiently lift logs off trailers and such. He has them on a short chain and lowers them in the middle of the log then when he lifts they grab the log. When he unloads they disconnect when the weight is removed. Generally a one-man operation. I liked the looks of that better than using 2-single hooks.

You can see where the back side of the forks connect to the bucket and extend past this slab.
Howard Green
WM LT35HDG25(2015) , 2011 4WD F150 Ford Lariat PU, Kawasaki 650 ATV, Stihl 440 Chainsaw, homemade logging arch (w/custom built rear log dolly), JD 750 w/4' wide Bushhog brand FEL

Dad always said "You can shear a sheep a bunch of times but you can only skin him once

samandothers

I have a grapple on a 40 hp tractor.  It handles majority of the log I have loaded.  A few rather long or large diameter have dragged on the ground to the point where I can use load ramps and cable on my manual LT35.  Your tractor would have more lift ability.  
I really like my grapple and would repeat buy if needed.  I will use grapple to load logs and collect the waste in to go to burn pile.  It doubles as a great device for cleaning up brush from downed trees, stacking logs and building the brush/fire piles.  IT works well for picking up and moving rocks too, something I'd think you'd need to do.  Mine is 5 foot wide and I have to be a bit careful to center log when grabbing it to avoid torqueing the loader.  I have a 3rd function valve toggle switch on the loader handle that I can control the loader and grapple without moving my right hand.   Grapples are heavy so pay some attention to the weight of the unit as it can rob some of your lift ability.  I would not be without it, mine stays on my tractor most all the time. 
I have forks I set near where I off load the finished boards.  I just uncouple two hoses for grapple and the two quick attach handles and reattach to forks to move boards.  Very handy process for me.

Good luck in your evaluation.

Woodpecker52

Pair of pallet forks on a homemade frame for quick attachment,

works great on logs or finished product.
Woodmizer LT-15, Ross Pony #1 planner, Ford 2600 tractor, Stihl chainsaws, Kubota rtv900 Kubota L3830F tractor

Nebraska

I kinda was thinking about the lack of flatness when I mentioned that. I'm pretty sure that WV would be about as big as Nebraska if you flattened it out.  :D
I have clamp on bucket forks for my smaller tractor too but don't use them for any thing big, but  mounting them in side like that is interesting. It would be more ridgid.

47sawdust

If you are concerned about the length of the forks,most are at least 42'', why not fab some stubby forks that would slide into a receiver on the bucket,Save a lot of on/off the tractor time
Mick
1997 WM Lt30 1999 WM twin blade edger Kubota L3750 Tajfun winchGood Health Work is my hobby.

Tom the Sawyer

WV TreeTopper,

Does your New Holland have a quick-attach mount for your forks/bucket?  Several companies make a mounting plate for quick-attach that has a receiver mount.  Normally you would add a hitch ball and move trailers with it.  You can also get a shackle mount that fits a 2" receiver and hang your tongs from that.  That way they are centered, the are much closer to the mounting pins which preserves your lifting capacity.  One company's plate is just over 100 pounds, free shipping, and under $200.  They also have a heavier version.
Receiver Mount Plate Attachment v2 

I have a similar plate mounted on my skidsteer for moving trailers and the mill around.  When I pull logs from clients' trailers (if they have sides or fenders), I use tongs suspended from a receiver mount on my forklift forks.  I don't know what the device is called but it has two fork pockets welded with cross bars and the front one has a 2" receiver mount.  That does give me the range to reach halfway across the trailers, but that also puts the lift point at the tip of the forks, which reduces lift capacity somewhat.
07 TK B-20, Custom log arch, 20' trailer w/log loading arch, F350 flatbed dually dump.  Piggy-back forklift.  LS tractor w/FEL, Bobcat S250 w/grapple, Stihl 025C 16", Husky 372XP 24/30" bars, Grizzly 20" planer, Nyle L200M DH kiln.
If you call and my wife says, "He's sawin logs", I ain't snoring.

crowhill

I have a Kubota M-4900 4 wheel drive with a bucket and it has one remote on the rear. My solution was to purchase a "tooth bar" for the cutting edge of the bucket, it's held in place by one bolt on each end of the bucket. They come the length of your buckets width. Then I purchased a product called "the thumb" which is bolted to a flat bar welded on the top of my bucket. It's hydraulic and I run it off the rear remote. I've been using the set up for about six years and been very happy with it. The cost wasn't bad, I think around $500 total. The tooth bar is the full width of the bucket with the thumb being about 18" wide supports the logs very well. Mostly cut 12' & 16' foot logs up to 24" in diameter and are handled easily with my tractor. I found them on the web.
TimberKing B-20, Kubota M-4900 w/FEL with tooth bar, hyd thumb and forks, Farmi winch, 4 chain saws.

tawilson

I welded an angle iron across the top of my bucket and cut slots in it to hang chains from. Then hung a chain from each edge in a vee with a set of skidding tongs in the middle. Adjust the length of the chain so the ring on the tongs hit the lip of the bucket. Then you can make the tongs rotate 90 degrees by rolling the bucket forward and back. Let's you grab logs from the end or the middle. Then when you lower it hit the ring with the bucket and it pops off. I could move logs all over without getting off the tractor.
Tom
2017 LT40HDG35 WIDE
BMS250 and BMT250 sharpener/setter
Woodmaster 725

moodnacreek

A grapple bucket is often not the way to do it. We bought one years ago and it sits in the weeds, almost no hours on it. That top baler/ clamp just gets in the way. If you don't believe me watch the jockeys in a log yard sorting logs. Once you learn to use pallet forks it is much faster and you don't have to take the grapple of to do lumber. 

Kwill

This is a older pic but this is how I load my logs. Built the grapple about a year ago. Works great for loading the mill
Built my own hydraulic splitter
Built my own outdoor wood stove
Built my own log arch
built my own bandsaw sawmill
Built my own atv log arch.
Built my own FEL grapple

Old Greenhorn

There it is! Here is the build thread: https://forestryforum.com/board/index.php?topic=104223.msg1620238#msg1620238 
I have always admired that build and it came to mind as soon as this subject broke but I could not find it. My search skills are pretty poor.
 Nice job Kwill.
Tom Lindtveit, Woodsman Forest Products
Oscar 328 Band Mill, Husky 350, 450, 562, & 372 (Clone), Mule 3010, and too many hand tools. :) Retired and trying to make a living to stay that way. NYLT Certified.
OK, maybe I'm the woodcutter now.
I work with wood, There is a rumor I might be a woodworker.

Kwill

Quote from: Old Greenhorn on February 07, 2020, 10:00:44 PM
There it is! Here is the build thread: https://forestryforum.com/board/index.php?topic=104223.msg1620238#msg1620238
I have always admired that build and it came to mind as soon as this subject broke but I could not find it. My search skills are pretty poor.
Nice job Kwill.
One of my best projects. Use it almost daily
Built my own hydraulic splitter
Built my own outdoor wood stove
Built my own log arch
built my own bandsaw sawmill
Built my own atv log arch.
Built my own FEL grapple

Thank You Sponsors!