iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

I didn't know you could put the blade on inside out .....

Started by richhiway, November 23, 2019, 07:26:39 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

richhiway

I was loading a short fat Maple on the mill today and when it rolled off the tractor forks it flipped up and rolled through the stops at an angle off the back of the mill. I wouldn't have believed it if I didn't see it.

Then I cut a few cuts with the nine degree blade I had on, flipped the log over. I was kind of excited to cut the rest because the first boards were so pretty. Went in the shed and picked out a new four degree blade, put it on the mill. Found out they don't cut good inside out and backwards.

Turned the blade around, cut some pretty slabs. When I was edging the last two boards they flipped out of the stops and knocked the blade off. Put the blade back on and finished up.

Some days are more interesting then others!
Woodmizer LT 40
New Holland 35 hp tractor
Stihl Chainsaws
Ford 340 Backhoe

donbj

That's what happens when you're wondering what's for dinner when you're changing a blade :D
I may be skinny but I'm a Husky guy

Woodmizer LT40HDG24. John Deere 5300 4WD with Loader/Forks. Husky 262xp. Jonsered 2065, Husky 65, Husky 44, Husky 181XP, Husky 2100CD, Husky 185CD

Chuck White

Oh yea, most of us have done that, it's just that some won't say it happened!  :embarassed:

I don't know about the backwards issue, but the inside-out happens quite often, but it's just not talked about much!
~Chuck~  Cooks Cat Claw sharpener and single tooth setter.  2018 Chevy Silverado and 2021 Subaru Ascent.
With basic mechanical skills and the ability to read you can maintain a Woodmizer  LT40!

Southside

On the advice provided to me by counsel I am invoking my 5th amendment right to remain silent... :-X  :D
Franklin buncher and skidder
JD Processor
Woodmizer LT Super 70 and LT35 sawmill, KD250 kiln, BMS 250 sharpener and setter
Riehl Edger
Woodmaster 725 and 4000 planner and moulder
Enough cows to ensure there is no spare time.
White Oak Meadows

thecfarm

I drew some teeth on my mill,so I can tell which way the blades goes. ;D
Model 6020-20hp Manual Thomas bandsaw,TC40A 4wd 40 hp New Holland tractor, 450 Norse Winch, Heatmor 400 OWB,YCC 1978-79

YellowHammer

I had a blade flipped backwards and put it on the mill in front of customers.   That was a little embarrassing.  It happens.  
YellowHammerisms:

Take steps to save steps.

If it won't roll, its not a log; it's still a tree.  Sawmills cut logs, not trees.

Kiln drying wood: When the cookies are burned, they're burned, and you can't fix them.

Sawing is fun for the first couple million boards.

Be smarter than the sawdust

terrifictimbersllc

Teenage son of customer once pointed it out to me.  Same kid sold a waste slab to a passersby later for $50.  ::)
DJ Hoover, Terrific Timbers LLC,  Mystic CT Woodmizer Million Board Foot Club member. 2019 LT70 Super Wide 55 Yanmar,  LogRite fetching arch, WM BMS250 sharpener/BMT250 setter.  2001 F350 7.3L PSD 6 spd manual ZF 4x4 Crew Cab Long Bed

Nebraska

I've heard they make funny noises, get funky hot smokey fast,  as well as cutting like garbage.  I think read that somewhere. Yeah that's it. Sometimes they cut better when you tension them as well... I read that here some where too.

Southside

They scream in white oak like a pig with a goat standing on its back.....
Franklin buncher and skidder
JD Processor
Woodmizer LT Super 70 and LT35 sawmill, KD250 kiln, BMS 250 sharpener and setter
Riehl Edger
Woodmaster 725 and 4000 planner and moulder
Enough cows to ensure there is no spare time.
White Oak Meadows

Sixacresand

Just yesterday, I installed a brand new flipped T7.  When I took it out of the flat pack some how it flipped.  

I was in a hurry to beat the rain and wasn't paying attention to details.    

BTW, The customer saw it all. I do flawless milling when no one is looking.   :D
"Sometimes you can make more hay with less equipment if you just use your head."  Tom, Forestry Forum.  Tenth year with a LT40 Woodmizer,

richhiway

Woodmizer LT 40
New Holland 35 hp tractor
Stihl Chainsaws
Ford 340 Backhoe

kelLOGg

My mistakes never happened because I work alone, too. ;D But once in front a customer a blade popped off because I forgot to tension it. Before I could tension it I got distracted again, then resumed the demonstration with the un-tensioned blade.  >:(

Cook's MP-32, 20HP, 20' (modified w/ power feed, up/down, loader/turner)
DH kiln, CatClaw setter and sharpener, tandem trailer, log arch, tractor, thumb tacks

Cedarman

Had a new guy put a chain on chainsaw and couldn't get it to cut.  Obvious he put it on backwards.  He could not figure out what was wrong until I pointed it out.  He didn't work out as good help.  It wasn't that he put it on backwards.  Been there, done that.  It was that he couldn't figure out what was wrong.
I am in the pink when sawing cedar.

SawyerTed

I've learned a lot of things can and will happen and the odds go up with audience size!
Woodmizer LT50, WM BMS 250, WM BMT 250, Kubota MX5100, IH McCormick Farmall 140, Husqvarna 372XP, Husqvarna 455 Rancher

Sixacresand

As embarrassing as an inverted smoking blade is running out of gas in a cut.
"Sometimes you can make more hay with less equipment if you just use your head."  Tom, Forestry Forum.  Tenth year with a LT40 Woodmizer,

Thank You Sponsors!