iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

V Groove 2x6 on a Shaper

Started by Don P, September 08, 2018, 11:08:25 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Don P

A friend is building his house and has been milling much of the material. He had sawn and KD'd a bunch of 2x6 for the upstairs subfloor but wanted an exposed V groove ceiling below. We couldn't find any stock cutters or knives so ordered a corrugated head and a few sets of blank steel. I had done this kind of work... 35 years ago with something better than a bench grinder and cutoff wheel jury rigged on it. But it worked. We also got a power feeder for the shaper. At some point someone had a baby feeder on it so I made an adapter plate so we wouldn't have to drill more holes in the shaper top.

They ran 1400lf today 8)

JRWoodchuck

That is fantastic! What steel did you use for the cutters? Just HSS? Where does someone pick up a corrugated head? Just recently got a shaper and would like create some of my own cutters.
Home built bandsaw mill still trying find the owners manual!

Ljohnsaw

:P
I was trying to find at least a 1" T&G set but the best I could find was about .8"
John Sawicky

Just North-East of Sacramento...

SkyTrak 9038, Ford 545D FEL, Davis Little Monster backhoe, Case 16+4 Trencher, Home Built 42" capacity/36" cut Bandmill up to 54' long - using it all to build a timber frame cabin.

Don P

We were pretty jazzed it worked so well.
I was surprised there wasn't a stock knife or cutterhead set but couldn't find one.
The shaper head I used is here;
http://www.grizzly.com/products/2-Moulding-Head-with-3-4-Bore/D1700
These are the HSS knife blanks;
http://www.grizzly.com/products/2-Backout-Relief-Knife/G3821

You can buy knife stock, and heads elsewhere. I know of 2 different corrugated patterns so do make sure they match if you shop around.

tacks Y

Nice job on the cutters. So you made them with a cut off wheel? Just laid them out and cut away? I see some one had a grinder for these but wanted 500 for it so still thinking. If I had more room it might make it home.

Larry

Color the knife steel with layout fluid.  Make a template from thin plastic.  Lay the template on the steel and trace around it with a scribe.  Use a chainsaw sharpening wheel (other specialized wheels available) to cut it out.  You only get a one knife finish cut which is fine in most cases.

I've been using one of those aluminum shaper heads before Grizzly cloned them.  I usually use a custom knife grinding company.  Fax them a picture of what I want and I have the cutter in a few days.

All manner of heads are available.  Charles Schmidt Co. among many others has tooling and knife steel.
Larry, making useful and beautiful things out of the most environmental friendly material on the planet.

We need to insure our customers understand the importance of our craft.

Thank You Sponsors!