iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

Gotta love the rain

Started by tyb525, August 04, 2009, 02:31:13 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

tyb525

They day after I pull the mill out of the barn in preparation for a job this weekend (so it would be easier to get the logs on), and while I am stacking boards, it pours. It came out of nowhere. It was partly cloudy this morning, then bam, as I was stacking, it was like I was taking a shower.  >:( :D
LT10G10, Stihl 038 Magnum, many woodworking tools. Currently a farm service applicator, trying to find time to saw!

Toolman

:D It's been that way since April in this area. I can't remember a year that has rained so darn much. I about fell out of my chair the other day when the weatherman said we are still a few inches below normal for the year. ???
"A government big enough to give you everything you want, is strong enough to take everything you have" (Thomas Jefferson)

WDH

I would love to have a little bit of that rain right now.  There is either too little rain or too much rain.  Hardly ever is it just right.   

Maybe if I leave a bunch of lumber outside the shed, it will rain here too ;D.
Woodmizer LT40HDD35, John Deere 2155, Kubota M5-111, Kubota L2501, Nyle L53 Dehumidification Kiln, and a passion for all things with leafs, twigs, and bark.  hamsleyhardwood.com

Cedarman

WDH, I bet Louisville would love to send some of the 6 1/2" rain they got in one hour today. Lots of pictures of Darwin Award candidates that drove around barriers and drowned their cars.  We missed the first round but got the second.  Ground is saturated.
I am in the pink when sawing cedar.

JV

We didn't get a drop again.  Last spring we needed a boat to plant but this summer has been dry.  You guys in S. Indiana are welcome to send us some.

Richard, I saw some of those yoyos on TV.  However, Mother Nature has a way of taking care of them.  It's called "thinning the herd."   :D
John

'05 Wood-mizer LT40HDG28-RA, Lucas 613 Swing Mill, Stihl 170, 260 Pro, 660, 084 w/56" Alaskan Mill, 041 w/Lewis Winch, Case 970 w/Farmi Winch, Case 850 Crawler Loader, Case 90XT Skidloader, Logrite tools

backwoods sawyer

If you are driving thru Oregon and see some guy packing a board between the barn and a stack of wood, doing a rain dance, you will know why.
Backwoods Custom Milling Inc.
100% portable. . Oregons largest portable sawmill service, serving all of Oregon, from our Backwoods to yours..sawing since 1991

WH_Conley

Anybody heard from Pigman? The weather map showed it hitting hard in his neighborhood, east of Louisville. I figure he has been around long enough to know not to drive out in it though.
Bill

Meadows Miller

Gday

Ty when you are wet Your WET Dad tought me that one  ;) ;D he use to just say work hard n you'll stay warm Mate  ;) :D :D the only thing i dont work in is heavy driving rain when it blowing a bloody gale  :o :( >:(  we have had a little rain just pachy stuff a day here n there i still mannaged to get the Acco bogged to the axles tho the other week it took 3 hrs digging n pulling with the kobota to get it 6' feet  :) :( ::) then i just went n got my mates 120hp 4x4 massy took 15 min the next morning  ;) ;D 8) 8) the drive into the yard dont look to good now tho  ;) :D :D

I bet your thinkin saw shed about now  ;) :D ;D keep it up mate

Have a goodone

Reguards Chris

4TH Generation Timbergetter

tyb525

See, I have a barn to put the mill in, its just hard to get the logs in, and when I do get them in there i can only fit 2-3 20" in at a time. I'm thinkin a lean-to built onto the barn, so there aren't any walls in the way. :)
LT10G10, Stihl 038 Magnum, many woodworking tools. Currently a farm service applicator, trying to find time to saw!

Meadows Miller

Ty
That would be about the the best way to go about it for a start mate  ;) ;D 8) just wish i had a barn to put one on  ;) :D I like the the quote at the end of of your toy i mean tool list  ;) i think it comes with the game mate  ;) :D ;D 8)
Chris
4TH Generation Timbergetter

Handy Andy

It's August, but there's a chance for rain tomarrow, so I'm waitin till Thursday to put hay down.  It's way late, last cutting of alfalfa got rained on about 6 times, but hate getting prairie hay wet.  Strange to have this much rain on the edge of the desert in July.  Usually we get 6 weeks with no rain July and August.  Usually rains first week of September.
My name's Jim, I like wood.

Old Hilly

Well, I'm up near Port Macquarie, NSW, OZ. and I am trying to work out what season it is. Been outside working on a new workshop. It's suposed to be winter and I'm outside in short trousers, no shirt and sweating! Havn't had a decent frost this year, we normally have had at least 5 or 6 by now and the ground is just starting to dry out after all the rain we had about 3 weeks ago. Normally it's as dry as an old boot at this time of year.
Mate of mine in Ohio rekons it's getting cool again, could be an early winter. Has the world gone mad or is this just something odd that happens once in a lifetime and we have only just realised it?

SwampDonkey

Well believe it or not with all this rain, we are still 8" less than last year. I believe their figures incorporate snow melt though. But it rained all last summer after the end of May. This week has been a dry one, for the first time this summer.  Good thing the local farms are not heavy clay based or the farmers would be a lot worst off. ;D
"No amount of belief makes something a fact." James Randi

1 Thessalonians 5:21

2020 Polaris Ranger 570 to forward firewood, Husqvarna 555 XT Pro, Stihl FS560 clearing saw and continuously thinning my ground, on the side. Grow them trees. (((o)))

bandmiller2

Now everything is blamed on global warming. when i was young they blamed the bomb,mayby nature does what it DanG well pleases. Frank C.
A man armed with common sense is packing a big piece

Cedarman

Welcome Old Hilly, there's got to be a story behind the name.  We love to hear about places like yours.  Don't be a stranger.
I am in the pink when sawing cedar.

WH_Conley

Hey, Bandmiller2, my grandmother blamed the weather on rockets punching holes in the atmosphere. :D
Bill

Magicman

We still need rain to catch up for the year.  I'm just having to schedule saw jobs between storms.  When I'm home, "she" has me doing "wifey" jobs.... :D
Knothole Sawmill, LLC     '98 Wood-Mizer LT40SuperHydraulic   WM Million BF Club Member   WM Pro Sawyer Network

It's Weird being the Same Age as Old People

Never allow your "need" to make money to exceed your "desire" to provide quality service.....The Magicman

backwoods sawyer

Quote from: Magicman on August 06, 2009, 08:36:25 AM
We still need rain to catch up for the year.  I'm just having to schedule saw jobs between storms.  When I'm home, "she" has me doing "wifey" jobs.... :D
Get a good slicker and work on the rainy days too.

I think winter has arrived early, The polar ice cap must be growing. Last week we were in the 110's this week we are in the 70's, brrrr, and I had to wear a jacket because I was cold.
Backwoods Custom Milling Inc.
100% portable. . Oregons largest portable sawmill service, serving all of Oregon, from our Backwoods to yours..sawing since 1991

SwampDonkey

You ain't working hard enough. I have a brush saw right here that will warm ya up while you mow a few trees down. :D
"No amount of belief makes something a fact." James Randi

1 Thessalonians 5:21

2020 Polaris Ranger 570 to forward firewood, Husqvarna 555 XT Pro, Stihl FS560 clearing saw and continuously thinning my ground, on the side. Grow them trees. (((o)))

Thank You Sponsors!