iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

Starting a new Sawmill Business

Started by RaginCajun, July 25, 2009, 06:04:18 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Magicman

Let's try this picture posting bit.  This is the second cabin that I described above.  I cut and donated all of the lumber and helped build it.

Knothole Sawmill, LLC     '98 Wood-Mizer LT40SuperHydraulic   WM Million BF Club Member   WM Pro Sawyer Network

It's Weird being the Same Age as Old People

Never allow your "need" to make money to exceed your "desire" to provide quality service.....The Magicman

farmboy1tn

beenthere

That cabin looks downright comfortable. Looks to be room for a mill out in the back lean-to.  :)
south central Wisconsin
It may be that my sole purpose in life is simply to serve as a warning to others

RaginCajun

yellowrosefarm

As mentioned, logs from tree service guys are fairly easy to get, but remember that most are "yard" trees which means that a very high percentage will contain metal of some sort. Concrete isn't unheard of either as they used to fill cavities with it. A lot of times, the tree would heal over and everyone who knew about it has moved on. Just be careful sawing any log that came out of Harry Homeowners yard.

Magicman

Quote from: yellowrosefarm on August 09, 2009, 10:26:07 PM
a very high percentage will contain metal of some sort. Concrete isn't unheard of either.

How very true.  I have a contract that the customer and I both sign before each job.   Each of us gets a copy.  It clearly states each of our responsibilities.  It states that if a hit a foreign object, it cost $20.  A customer last week coughed up $60.  Sometimes the blade can be resharpened....sometimes not.  Either way, I still had "down time" changing the blade and then pulling the nail, etc.  I've never had a customer complaint.  I have had them roll that log off and not finish sawing it.
Knothole Sawmill, LLC     '98 Wood-Mizer LT40SuperHydraulic   WM Million BF Club Member   WM Pro Sawyer Network

Never allow your "need" to make money to exceed your "desire" to provide quality service.....The Magicman

bandmiller2

Good idea with the contract Majic,every homeowner I've ever asked has said no nails but when you tell them they will be paying for the bands their not so sure.That is a big advantage with a bandmill your damage is limited to a band,hopefully an old one.With the headrig I scan em pretty close.Frank C.
A man armed with common sense is packing a big piece

Magicman

I have a metal detector wand and use it when the customer is not there.  If the customer is there, using the detector would/might shift some of the responsibility to me.  On the log that I mentioned above with 3 nail strikes, he was standing there and witnessed each nail strike.  If I had gotten the detector out, then he may have decided that I should find them and let him off of the "hook".  To me, it 's business.  Those are his nails.....not mine.

backwoods sawyer

Quote from: Magicman on August 10, 2009, 02:59:47 PM
I have a metal detector wand and use it when the customer is not there.  If the customer is there, using the detector would/might shift some of the responsibility to me.  On the log that I mentioned above with 3 nail strikes, he was standing there and witnessed each nail strike.  If I had gotten the detector out, then he may have decided that I should find them and let him off of the "hook".  To me, it 's business.  Those are his nails.....not mine.
Exactly. I have not had good results with metal detectors and they take time to operate. On an hourly job the use of a metal detector could cost the customer more the cost of the saws. However I am lenient on what requires a blade charge, and will reduce the charge if the saw can be sharpened, and the customer feels you gave them a break.   
Backwoods Custom Milling Inc.
100% portable. . Oregons largest portable sawmill service, serving all of Oregon, from our Backwoods to yours..sawing since 1991

Thank You Sponsors!