iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

Kids Highchair

Started by Ianab, September 12, 2007, 09:53:08 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Ianab

Actually got some time in the shed and have almost finished Lara's high chair.

Decided to go with something different  ::)
This is just a test fit of the parts, although the base, upright and back support are all glued up. The various dovetails will probably need bit of epoxy to hold things together, but the chair as a whole seems very solid. It's sitting in place with no glue at least  :D

Now.. go and see if I can work out what order it to assemble the pieces in  ::)

Cheers

Ian
Weekend warrior, Peterson JP test pilot, Dolmar 7900 and Stihl MS310 saws and  the usual collection of power tools :)

Fla._Deadheader

All truth passes through three stages:
   First, it is ridiculed;
   Second, it is violently opposed; and
   Third, it is accepted as self-evident.

-- Arthur Schopenhauer (1788-1860)

pigman

I like it. 8)  The open base will make it easy to clean up all the food that will end up on the floor when she starts feeding herself. ;D

Bob the father of four
Things turn out best for people who make the best of how things turn out.

getoverit

WOW that is unique. I like it !!  Good job!!!
I'm a lumberjack and I'm ok, I work all night and sleep all day

TexasTimbers

That, is totally cool. Is there some significance to the design? It does not look like an abstract thought or accidental desing on the shape of the back.
The oil is all in Texas, but the dipsticks are in D.C.

Ianab

Thanks guys.  :)

I just wanted to build something different, so sat down and sketched out some ideas. The back has come out looking a bit like a Celtic cross, but thats just how it worked out.

Cheers

Ian
Weekend warrior, Peterson JP test pilot, Dolmar 7900 and Stihl MS310 saws and  the usual collection of power tools :)

TexasTimbers

Ian I just had a thought. Tikes like to sling their backs against the back of their highchairs when they are real tired/hungry/grumpy. I would suggest extending that back of that floor member. I know you designed it that wau to go flush against the wall but you need to sacrifice a little for safety here because inevitablty the chair is not going to be right agaisnt the wall that one time when you grandbaby decides to slam the back. And the force they can generate would suprise you! I know you don't want that treasure hitting the floor and i ain't talkng about the chair. :)

It would not be much of a step to lengthen the frame member. It would challenge your design ideas and inline joinery but it would be a cool addendum once you have settled on the joinery. I already know exactly what I would do. Want to know ???

TexasTimbers

Just had another thought. How about a flip out extension for when the chair is not against the wall?

Ianab

I understand where you are coming from...  :P
Thats basically the reason there is a rear support at all. But all the weight of the chair and child is cantilevered in front of the support post, so I think the balance will be pretty good. Of course I'm going to conduct some wobble tests before it goes into use, and will modify as needed ;) Comparing it to MY old highchair that my mother still had in the cupboard, it actually has a wider foot print than the shop bought chair, and the rear support is probably about the same distance behind the the centre of gravity.

Dont worry, I'[m not going to take any risks with the little one  ;)

Cheers

Ian

P.S. It's for Lara, my daughter  ;) My boys are teenagers now, but I'm not a Grandad... just yet  :D

asy

Ian, the chair is just gorgeous, but, please allow me to echo Kev's fear.

I had one of those big monster high chairs that raises up and down, and comes off to be a stand-alone-chair, real top-of-the-line thing. But, even with all the weight in that (and there was a fair amount) my son STILL managed to get it nearly toppling on occasion when he was tired and cranky and throwing himself around in it (gosh, I must have been trying to get him to eat DanG veggies or such!).

I know you've 'done this before' but hey, we wouldn't be us if we didn't try to 'help'. ;)  ::)

asy :D
Never interrupt your opponent while he's making a mistake.
There cannot be a crisis next week. ~My schedule is already full..

metalspinner

That is really cool! :)

What is the species?  Does the tray slide in and out?

As far as cleaning the floor around the chair goes...get a dog! :D :D
I do what the little voices in my wife's head tell me to do.

Thank You Sponsors!