iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

My Trip

Started by Autocar, March 29, 2013, 04:06:44 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Autocar

I had gotten drawn in Greenswamp unit three, theres three units A,B,C mine was C. theres only eight hunters in each unit with a total acreage of 38,000 plus  It couldn't of came at a better time I was tired of hauling wood to the furnace and it was winter every day here. I drove to Florida last Friday on I-75 here spring break was on plus spring vacation for younger kids going to the vaction parks the road was bumber to bumber 70 miler per hour plus. Suppose to be relaxing I was wrapped tigher then a eight day clock but just thinking of warmer weather kept me going forward. I get down to Dade City and to my hunting location and its 95 degrees I drove out in my area and scouted around about a hour later a storm rolled in and it rainned like there was no tomarrow. The clouds looked to me like a tornado could pop out any minuite. It started cooling off and by the next morning it was thirty and every day after that it was thirty, frost evey morning I froze in my old camper with my sleeping bag and two blankets. As I dressed at four in the morning to go hunting I looked like a cotton ball I had so many cloths on. I had located one tom with two hens and a  another real good looking spot. On my way back to the camp site a tom crosses the road in front of me and that make a third spot. So opening morning they unlocked the gate at five Iam the second one in line I get my paper card from the guard and away I go, on my bumber is a pickup so I get to my spot eight miles later I had located the first day of scouting and pull in. Just like a bullet this guy rips in beside me bails out of his truck and starts running down the right of way, what the well the words I said dosen't matter now. So I backed out and backed tracked seven miles where I had seen the tom cross the evening before. Just about day light two toms gobble I waited for the close one to fly down when he hit the ground I made a call well he went nuts and we played games till ten. The next day I tried it again only for the tom to win again I was only aloud to hunt there four days I tried everything but the kitchen sink on him only to get to close on the final day and jumped him off his roast. I saw diamond back rattlers laying on the trails sunning them selves in the afternoons ,lost count on how many hogs and allagators I saw. This one old sow had three little pigs about the size of a two pound coffee can every day I would see her every day there was one less little pig. I kind of figured that a boar was killing them so he could breed her again but not sure. Just to hear all the birds and owls was a good time for me know traffic noise had a good time. Coming home was better I figured I was ahead of the traffic by a day leaving on Thursday but was wrong again this time it was motor homes and vans with old people well people that looked a little like me going home for the summer. Not sure whos more nuts the young people of the old folks,but made it home safe and I have some more memorys of the turkey that beat me again.
Bill

coxy

glad you had a good time  but i always say its easyer to go to walley world thay cant fly a way  :) :)

beenthere

Wow, all that way just to get to hunt turkey for four days? Are there no turkeys in Ohio?

Sure glad you had a good time when you were hunting. Great to see some action.

I plan to go out back in a couple weeks with the bow. Last year missed, but as you found out, it is the excitement that counts a lot.
south central Wisconsin
It may be that my sole purpose in life is simply to serve as a warning to others

Autocar

Season dosen't start till the 22 of April here, Florida it starts the 15 of March still get a rush when they gobble  ;D
Bill

snowstorm

if you want a turkey bill come up here. the guy across the road feeds them. so most days there is at least 50 of them. there are a lot of wild turkeys in maine. way to many

thecfarm

I forgot when the turkeys started to show themselves in Chesterville. I saw some down at my Aunts,about 15 minutes from here before I saw any here. Maybe 2004??? I have about 12-14 at at time. One year was kinda funny. We kept seeing about 10 at a time. That's all we thought we had. Than one day we saw 10 behind the house and 10 in the lower field. There was bunches down around Augusta,Lewiston,Auburn area. Very common to see 20 in a row years ago. In fact I never knew they could fly until they came here.   ::)  I always seen them walking in single file driving down the road. I never saw them in flight.
Model 6020-20hp Manual Thomas bandsaw,TC40A 4wd 40 hp New Holland tractor, 450 Norse Winch, Heatmor 400 OWB,YCC 1978-79

Thank You Sponsors!