iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

How to run a grapple

Started by postville, December 13, 2011, 06:59:09 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

postville

After years of watching truckers use a grapple to load logs, I had my first try today. Not so easy!
I am looking for tips. The machine I used was a Gehl 6635 skid steer with a Valby 50 inch rotating grapple.
I got the job done but the pile was a mess. Also tore off a lot of bark which this customer wants intact.
Grabbed a lot of grass, ends of stack not real even.
Logs were small so I tried to grab 3 or 4 at a time.
So any tips? Bob
LT40 25hp Kohler, Gehl 6635, Valby grapple, Ford 4600, Farmi winch, Stihl saws

Maine372

practice practice practice. its easier from the seat of a truck mounted loader where you can see whats going on. if you are in the seat of a skidsteer looking up at the pile its harder.

dont be in a hurry. slow is smooth and smooth is fast. if its important that the bark stays on using a rope or nylon sling may be the better method.

smwwoody

practice, practice and then practice some more.

think about a hot cup of coffee sitting open close to you try to be smooth enough not to spill the coffee on you.  that is the same advice I gave my kids about driveing in the winter time "drive like you have a hot cup of coffee on the dash".  My oldest son told me for one he didn't like coffee and for two he wasnt dumb enough to set it on the dash if he did.

Woody
Full time Mill Manager
Cleereman head rig
Cooper Scragg
McDonugh gang saw
McDonugh edger
McDonugh resaw
TS end trim
Pendu slab recovery system
KJ4WXC

Gary_C

A few tips:

Always grab the logs in the middle. It's difficult to set them down right when one end is hanging down.

Never leave a log lay crossed with other logs in the pile. It will come back to bite you if you do. Sometimes you can get the logs all aligned by droping the closed grapple on top of the pile and they will straighten out. And sometimes that will make a mess.

Don't try to build up your pile too much in one spot. Those danG'ed round things will roll down to the low spots and really make a mess. You're just going to have to pick them up again.

With a swinging boom loader much of the even ends in the pile is from banging the grapple on the sides of the pile to even them up. With a loader you must drive into the ends of the pile from both sides to even the logs up. Not easy to do and time consuming.

A good loader operator can make it LOOK easy, but it's sure not. I am NOT one of those guys. I'm one that makes a lot of funny faces sitting in the cab while I'm trying to be a good operator.  :D :D

Never take life seriously. Nobody gets out alive anyway.

Bobus2003

Practice and patience is ticket to learning to use a grapple.. Though i never understood the use of a by-pass grapple on a skid-steer.. Seems like the slow and hard way

Gary_C

Oh and another thing. You cannot be a good operator and memorize the control functions. You just have to train your hands to make the logs go where your eyes are looking. If you have to think about what each control movement does, you will never be a good operator. And some people just cannot do that and never will be good at being an operator.

So that has to be your goal as you practice. Teach yourself to not have to think of each movement.
Never take life seriously. Nobody gets out alive anyway.

OntarioAl

As  Gary says practice practice practice until you and the machine become one, and operation of the controls becomes a reflex action.
Hint as you start to close the grapple on the wood lift up.
The action of the closing grapple arms will roll the wood up and into the grapple. The closing and lifting at the same time is akin to the timing between clutch and gas pedal when driving a vehicle with a standard transmission,
As as you master this technique you will be able to pick wood off the ground without the sod comming along for the ride.
Hope this helps
Al
Al Raman

Norm

Gary's post reminded me of trying to tell someone what the controls on my excavator did. I just plain couldn't without actually having my hands on them. After a while you'll be the same with the grapple.

Todd

Go slowly! ( I found that having a log swinging towards the cab of the truck I just bought focused me in ways i had thought impossible!) If you get the chance, move things around in the open and without rushing, just pick them up and put them down...make piles and then take the piles apart....like anything else, practicing without pressure makes it a little easier.
Making somthing idiot-proof only leads to the creation of bigger idiots!

postville

Thanks for the replies.
It is beautiful to see a truck driver with 25 years of practice make a perfect load.
After a month or so I'll let you know how things are coming.
We have had warm weather, after the ground freezes or we get some snow, I think it will go better. Bob

postville

Well I have used the grapple enough to wear off some paint and have gotten to where I can grab a load and leave the grass. Lifting up while grabbing really helped.
Next question- when building your load on the truck when do you put on the sweeps and crooked logs? Do you mix them in or save them for towards the top? They will buy them where this load is going as they saw them into oval plaques for taxidermy and wood craft products.
Bob

OntarioAl

Bob
Up here badly swept and crooked wood never made it out of the bush (except as firewood in the back of a pickup).
It made loading a pain in the butt and it caused issues with load security while in transport and generated a "voids" deduction at the mill. (stack scale method of payment).
The way I read your posts the customer doesn't want the bark damaged and will take swept and crooked logs so I am assuming we are dealing with a valuable hardwood say Walnut. on second thought might be white pine (nice to know you can market this material)
I would definately not bury them in the load it will not endear you to the operator unloading at the mill and would cause more damage to the bark. You could ask the customer how they would prefer to receive it.
Again I am assuming a lot but  for limited amounts I would create a pocket in the top of the load and add additional tie downs as required for load security.
I hope this helps
Al
Al Raman

postville

Al, The load is basswood.
Made two loads today and found the advise about building the ends (or sides) up and filling in the middle worked. Best logs against the bunks and fill in the center.
Previously I loaded with forks and may go back to that, less damage to the bark. Fortunately they are hungry for logs and were glad to see me show up. We still are soft down here and the bigger skidders can't get out in the woods. I have a Ford 4600 and Farmi winch so I can get around OK.Bob

Thank You Sponsors!