iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

Saw for firewood/cleanup

Started by snonut12, June 25, 2006, 08:40:08 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

snonut12

For years I have been debating to get a Stihl saw or two. I always have been using my dad's Echo saws (probably about 15-20 years old) but it's about time to get my own. It will be a Stihl because that is what my local dealer carry and all of my two stroke equipment are Stihl ie: trimmer, blower, split-shaft for broom, hedge, pole saw, etc. It will be used primarily for both firewood cutting and storm cleanups. It is not something that I will be cutting everyday, but I am the type of guy who like to buy the best product, but not necessarily the biggest and most powerful product available. I think I would like two saws, one for limbing and another one for bucking and felling. I am not familar with the term bucking but from what I have researched, I believe it meant to cut the tree trunks into pieces, such as for firewood cutting, correct?

I am looking toward the 260 Pro and it is a toss up between the 440 and 460. It appears that 260 Pro and 460 have all same features. Only difference I found from 440 is that it does not have winter/summer shutter. What is the purpose of the shutter and is it something to consider? I am from the northeast so it does get cold here in the winter. So what do you think of my saw choices? They probably are a little more than what I need, but sometime it's better to have more than what you need now, right? But if you seriously think that the mid-range saw (260-310) will be plenty, then please comment. Let me know what you think/recommend and also what size bar I should run. Thanks.

sawguy21

The 460 is much more powerful than the 260 and will easily handle a 24" bar with 3/8 chain. Is that enough for your felling/bucking needs? I assume you are dealing with larger hardwoods. The 260 would be great for the smaller jobs.
The shutter is for cold weather use, opening it directs warm air around the carburetor to prevent icing.
You mention the 310, it and its siblings, the 290 and 390, are semi pro farm/ranch saws and not pro like the others you are considering.
Hope this helps.
old age and treachery will always overcome youth and enthusiasm

Ianab

You dont mention tree sizes? If 18" is a big tree in your area you can probably handle everything with a 260 and 18" bar. (they are a very good saw for the size)
Bigger trees? yeah a 440 / 460 with a bigger bar will make life much easier, and the 260 will make a great limbing saw.
Having 2 saws is also a good idea if you end up getting a bar pinched while limbing, you have another saw to cut the first one out of the tree. Dont ask how I know this  ;) :D
The MS310 and other farmboss models are OK, but not as good as the pro saws you have mentioned. They are fine for part time firewood cutters etc, and if you are on a budget may be the right saw for the job, but you will like the pro saws better.
The air shutter is really only an issue if you cut in near or below freezing weather. Mine never gets moved from the summer setting, if it gets that cold here I go home  :D

Cheers

Ian
Weekend warrior, Peterson JP test pilot, Dolmar 7900 and Stihl MS310 saws and  the usual collection of power tools :)

sawguy21

If I only cut when it was above freezing, I would not get a lot done :D :D Over 30C here today, the saw is in the shed.

snonut12

I guess I am in the norm, I work whether if its 10F or 90F out here. ;D But seriously in either way it does get a bit uncomfortable but once I get working I don't notice it too much.  ;)

Anyway, we have various type of trees around here in New York, such as maple (most common), pine, walnut, locust, spruce, willow, and some others that I don't even know what it is, so it's pretty mostly hardwood. Sizes varies from just a few inches up to 4 feet (and perhaps more in some spots). From what I've cut in the past, I'd say the average is around 18", but I've cut some bigger that needs double cutting.

I've used someone's else 026 and it seems to be a bit underpowered for bucking larger than 8" (probably because of the hardwood) so that's why I am thinking about either the 440 or 460, but I would think that they are too big for limbing and small trees in which the 260 would suit better. You made a good point about having two saws in case one of 'em get pinched. Been there done that.  ;)

oldsaw

You are on the right path.  If you can afford the 260 and the 460, go for it.  If you can do the 260 and the 440, you will still be happy.  I'm not as convinced on the 361 as I am on the 440/460, but many on here say very good things.  Don't know your percentage of limbing vs bucking/felling, but if I were to have only one saw, the 440 would probably be the one for me.  460 would work great too.  Not too big for limited limbing.  Hell, I use my 066 for limbing if I have the 24" bar on it...done it with the 36", but that wasn't fun at all.  Too nose heavy...and too heavy overall.

Mark
So many trees, so little money, even less time.

Stihl 066, Husky 262, Husky 350 (warmed over), Homelite Super XL, Homelite 150A

gumnut

I am a tad surprised that you had no joy with the 260 on logs over 8". I have a 16" bar on older 026, and it goes like a train in hard as the hobs of hell eucalyptus up to 14-15", and then eats them up when I make a few ripping cuts to make the splitting possible.

I reckon you want the same out of a saw, and have the same ideas re quality as me, and I reckon the 260 would be the gear to go for.

My other saw is an 084, and I must admit it spends most of its time in the truck, or otherwise I'd end up with arms like popeye. I will admit, not much slows it down but.

Pullinchips

If you have the cash i would say go for the bigger of the 2 the 440/460 i have cut wood for the family for seveal years and used my uncles 026 w/18" bar though it would cut well and did every thing it was asked, it was slower and in bucking large oak logs 14"+ it would slow down.  I decided when i bought a saw to get one for wood bigger that i would ever cut or the biggest i would cut either way i would be covered.  I settled on the 390 yes its not the 440 (which cost a good bit more) but i usually only cut brush around the farm to clean up and limb the woods road and around deer stands then during fire wood season it gets used a lot.  It has never been underpowered for any thing i have cut in the 2 seasons i have used it and it will cut circles around my uncles 026 (although he does not keep his chains as sharp as mine).  The 390 has similar power to the 440 but just with more weight and it pulls a 3/8 chain not the .325 chain of the 026.

Hope this helps as i beleive i was in your shoes to i was considering saws in the very same to as you about a year and a half ago, i went with the bigger and have not been dissappointed.

-nate
Resident Forester
US Army Corps of Engineers: Savannah District

Clemson Forestry Grad 2004
MFR Clemson University 2006
Stihl MS 390

snonut12

Thank you everyone for your suggestions. I think I will go with the 260 Pro with 18" bar and .325" chain, and 460 with 25" bar and 3/8" chain.

oldsaw

So many trees, so little money, even less time.

Stihl 066, Husky 262, Husky 350 (warmed over), Homelite Super XL, Homelite 150A

sawguy21

;D You should be very happy

Thank You Sponsors!