iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

Adze for carving wood bowls

Started by opticsguy, February 03, 2019, 12:37:28 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

opticsguy

Just started a new hobby, yup, another one . . . .    Started carving wooden bowls, and thinking now I might need a small curved adze to speed things up.  My bowls are kind of like a dough bowl, long, about 26" x 12" x 4"  

Am looking at the Narex version, mostly because there is a store just across the border, an hours drive away that has these in stock.  Online there are many options for adzes from about $35 from Bulgaria up and beyond $400.  The Narex comes in about $90.  Your experience and recommendations please?  Or just a bigger chisel and a bigger hammer?

Thank you.
TK 1220 band mill,  1952 Ford F-2, 1925 Dodge touring, too many telescopes.

LaneC

I am not sure about right name brand to get. I was going to get into at one time but passed. I would still like to do it, but if I spent all that time and energy on one and it cracked, I would go nuts :D. There are a lot of good you tube videos on the subject and it sure looks rewarding. I remember the Gransford burks or something like that. They make top of the line axes and all, but I am sure there are others out there. Good luck on the bowl making.
Man makes plans and God smiles

twar

Yes, Gränfors Bruk, makes a straight as well as a gutter adze. I don't have an adze, but I do have a couple of their axes. They're quite pricey, but they are hand-forged in Sweden with the smith's initials stamped on the tool. They really hold an edge and you've got it for life--but they are pricey.

low_48

I'd suggest you read and watch anything by Dave Fisher. Fine woodworking has been running information and articles by him. He's an amazing craftsman! The one video suggests the Hans Karlsson adze, but looks to be extremely hard to get.

red

Google  how to make adze  there is lots of info
Honor the Fallen Thank the Living

Thank You Sponsors!