iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

Oppinions on cabinet panels?

Started by hackberry jake, February 14, 2019, 01:06:17 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

hackberry jake

Smooth raised panel or flat bead board?
https://www.facebook.com/TripleTreeWoodworks

EZ Boardwalk Jr. With 20hp Honda, 25' of track, and homemade setworks. 32x18 sawshed. 24x40 insulated shop. 30hp kubota with fel. 1978 Massey ferguson 230.

Bruno of NH

Lt 40 wide with 38hp gas and command controls , F350 4x4 dump and lot of contracting tools

Jeff

Just call me the midget doctor.
Forestry Forum Founder and Chief Cook and Bottle Washer.

Commercial circle sawmill sawyer in a past life for 25yrs.
Ezekiel 22:30

tule peak timber

persistence personified - never let up , never let down

bwstout

home built mill

WLC

I'm in the flat panel camp as well.  Biggest question is which one do you like better?
Woodmizer LT28
Branson 4wd tractor
Stihl chainsaws
Elbow grease.

samandothers

Of the two, raised.  But if flat panel is in the mix I'd go with flat.  Add some pins/dowels in the corners ;D!  

Don P

Looks like mockernut smiley_devil. I like the raised panel as well. If we're preferring I like the beveled raise with a sharp shoulder myself. I made one set with sapwood frames, stiles and rails and heartwood panels just to accent them.

RPF2509

Flat if you have the grain to show off.  Beaded if grain is ho -hum, beads add some visual interest.  Also depends on overall décor - flat looks more modern, beaded more rustic.  I've got nice, interesting red oak flat panels in my house put there by the original owner.  Beads are tougher to clean.

RPF2509

oops that's raised if you have the grain to show off

Brad_bb

I like the smooth.  It shows off the wood grain more.  And with a nice flat clear finish on there it will look good.  
Anything someone can design, I can sure figure out how to fix!
If I say it\\\\\\\'s going to take so long, multiply that by at least 3!

Ljohnsaw

Hmm.  Guess I'm the odd guy.  I like the look of the beaded.  I think the rails and styles are too heavy for that narrow of a door and the beaded looks more balanced with them that size.  Also, I like the more rustic look.  I agree with Don, the raised panel should have sharp edges.  The soft edges look too modern (back to liking rustic more...)
John Sawicky

Just North-East of Sacramento...

SkyTrak 9038, Ford 545D FEL, Davis Little Monster backhoe, Case 16+4 Trencher, Home Built 42" capacity/36" cut Bandmill up to 54' long - using it all to build a timber frame cabin.

LeeB

Of the two I prefer the raised flat. My own preference however is shaker style flat non-raised.
'98 LT40HDD/Lombardini, Case 580L, Cat D4C, JD 3032 tractor, JD 5410 tractor, Husky 346, 372 and 562XP's. Stihl MS180 and MS361, 1998 and 2006 3/4 Ton 5.9 Cummins 4x4's, 1989 Dodge D100 w/ 318, and a 1966 Chevy C60 w/ dump bed.

WDH

Woodmizer LT40HDD35, John Deere 2155, Kubota M5-111, Kubota L2501, Nyle L53 Dehumidification Kiln, and a passion for all things with leafs, twigs, and bark.  hamsleyhardwood.com

hackberry jake

You can tell what type of hickory by the grain?
https://www.facebook.com/TripleTreeWoodworks

EZ Boardwalk Jr. With 20hp Honda, 25' of track, and homemade setworks. 32x18 sawshed. 24x40 insulated shop. 30hp kubota with fel. 1978 Massey ferguson 230.

Don P

The color says mockernut, white hickory, to me.

AZ_builder

WDH

No.  But you can tell that it is a hickory.  Don is just showing off ;D. 
Woodmizer LT40HDD35, John Deere 2155, Kubota M5-111, Kubota L2501, Nyle L53 Dehumidification Kiln, and a passion for all things with leafs, twigs, and bark.  hamsleyhardwood.com

Don P

69bronco

WDH

If it is mockernut, leaflets are 7 and the rachis is wooly tomentose.  The nut involucre dehises completely exposing the whole nut.  The nut involucre is also thick, up to 1/4".  In pignut, the leaflets are in 5's, the rachis is smooth, and the nut involucre only partially dehises 2/3rds to the base.  The nut involucre is thin. 

Then, there is shagbark, shellbark, sand, bitternut, water, pecan, and red hickory ;D. 

Hard to discern this in a panel unless you have paranormal powers.  I always thought that Don was just a bit para-normal :D.   

Don P

This was mostly shagbark T&G, but I ran out. Can you pick out the mockernut boards. The client could not, they kind of yell "what were you thinking" to me.

Not that I'm from around here  :D

Roxie

Don and WDH, yer killing me.  :D :D

Now, my option isn't shown, but I would prefer a plain flat panel. 
Say when

WDH

The mockernut boards are the ones with anastomotizing bark ridges, not large dehiscent scales  ;D. 

Don P

Now you're just being downright clairvoyant :D, yup mockernut has chain link bark.
Look at the middlish 2 heartwood boards in the center panel, the left of center board in the third panel and the brilliant white one towards the right end, those are mockernut. The op is also very common coloration in white hickory that I've not seen in the others... which I cannot tell one from the other of, mockernut is the oddball hickory. In a broad brush generalization, the heartwood of mockernut is muddier, not as striking, the sapwood is whiter, where in the others the opposite is more true, their sapwood tends to have muddier whites but sharply defined and deeper heartwood coloration.

Thank You Sponsors!