iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

PNW Travels....Again

Started by Magicman, July 09, 2019, 10:04:23 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Magicman

This trip has been in the planning stages for quite a while.  A few members already know about it, plus I have dropped a few hints.  We made a similar trip a few years back but RV plumbing problems caused us to have to cut the trip short.  LINK.  (That actual trip begins on page 5.)

This trip will be about 6700 miles with the most distant point being Hyder, AK, which BTW is the most Southern point in Alaska that can be driven to.  Just North of Hyder is also the largest glacier in the world that can be driven to.  The glacier road was blocked by a rockslide the last time we were there.  One of the reasons that we chose this particular time is that the salmon will be spawning and the bears should be fishing.  Hyder  

This trip will carry us to Anacortes, WA, where we will board the Washington Ferry to Victoria, Vancouver Island, on to Port Hardy where we will board the BC Ferry to Prince Rupert, BC.  From there we will travel to Hyder, AK, Prince George, BC, Jasper, BC, and Lacombe, AB, as we make our journey back home.

This will be our traveling mode.

And this will be our resting/sleeping mode. We do not plan to travel over 5-600 miles a day which is two weeks of driving.  :o  We should be back home toward the end of August.  It will be much cooler here by then and I have sawing jobs scheduled beginning the first part of September.  

We are adding "Plans" to our cell phones for talk/text but I suspect that our data options will be limited so I am unsure about posting and pictures as we travel.  I may have to do a catch-up as WiFi is available.  
Our planned departure is the 15th.  move_it
Knothole Sawmill, LLC     '98 Wood-Mizer LT40SuperHydraulic   WM Million BF Club Member   WM Pro Sawyer Network

It's Weird being the Same Age as Old People

Never allow your "need" to make money to exceed your "desire" to provide quality service.....The Magicman

Crusarius

I don't see michigan pigroast on the map?

Magicman

No, we will be somewhere in Canada during this year's Pig Roast.
Knothole Sawmill, LLC     '98 Wood-Mizer LT40SuperHydraulic   WM Million BF Club Member   WM Pro Sawyer Network

Never allow your "need" to make money to exceed your "desire" to provide quality service.....The Magicman

Crusarius

To bad. I was looking forward to meeting you. But I wish you safe journeys and great weather.

goose63

Lynn you could go through N.D. we do have a few good places to eat up here 8) :o
goose
if you find your self in a deep hole stop digging
saw logs all day what do you get lots of lumber and a day older
thank you to all the vets

GAB

Speaking of good places to eat, on our way to the pigroast we are planning on stoping at TONY'S.
GAB
W-M LT40HDD34, SLR, JD 420, JD 950w/loader and Woods backhoe, V3507 Fransguard winch, Cordwood Saw, 18' flat bed trailer, and other toys.

Magicman

GAB

Lynn & Pat:
I wish you the best on your trip/vacation.
Take lots of pictures and enjoy yourselves.
Gerald
W-M LT40HDD34, SLR, JD 420, JD 950w/loader and Woods backhoe, V3507 Fransguard winch, Cordwood Saw, 18' flat bed trailer, and other toys.

BradMarks

That is an ambitious travel schedule, more power to you! Looks like an Interstate Hwy route. If you have any spare time, some nice scenic 2 lane highways out west - side trips but they get back to the interstate, eventually! Have fun, be safe, lots of crazies on the road.

clww

Be safe and have fun. Best wishes to you both. :)
Many Stihl Saws-16"-60"
"Go Ask The Other Master Chief"
18-Wheeler Driver

Magicman

Quote from: BradMarks on July 09, 2019, 06:19:10 PMLooks like an Interstate Hwy route.
I haven't really looked but it is probably 50/50 because we have crisscrossed and traveled the back roads in practically every state that we will travel through.  This will be our third trip through Oregon and Washington and the first time to travel the Interstate.  We won't have much choice in South Dakota and Iowa.

On a side note, we will have a tropical storm bearing down on us this weekend with Brookhaven predicted to get 8-10" of rain.  Hopefully it will not affect our departure date because we have reservations on the two ferries.

redbeard

Looking forward too cracking fresh Dungeness 🦀 and having a great visit.
Magicman has followed my Sawmill adventure from the begining  13 years ago and I have admired and followed his adventure's.  Really Looking  forward too meeting Lynn and Pat  on there BC trip.

Whidbey Woodworks and Custom Milling  2019 Cooks AC 3662T High production band mill and a Hud-son 60 Diesel wide cut bandmill  JD 2240 50hp Tractor with 145 loader IR 1044 all terrain fork lift  Cooks sharp

btulloh

Man, those look good!! All jimmies, too.
HM126

WDH

Quote from: redbeard on July 09, 2019, 10:55:13 PM
Really Looking  forward too meeting Lynn and Pat.
They talk funny, so you might need a translator ;D. 
Woodmizer LT40HDD35, John Deere 2155, Kubota M5-111, Kubota L2501, Nyle L53 Dehumidification Kiln, and a passion for all things with leafs, twigs, and bark.  hamsleyhardwood.com

Magicman

Yup, visiting redbeard has been on our "bucket" list for a very long time.  We actually met on another sawing related forum many years ago and I have continually admired his sawing and architectural skills. 

We were first introduced to Dungeness Crabs on our first trip through the PNW in 1997, so I wasn't bashful about indicating to Jeff that we were looking forward to cracking a few of them open.  Yum Yum. 

I have plenty of time but with the tropical weather threat this weekend, I am having to move my "getting ready" schedule up a bit.  It also means that our Monday's travel will be a wet drive as we will probably be hitting the storm dead center. 

WV Sawmiller

Have a real good time. Be careful and stay safe. Keep us posted on what and who you see. keep a good journal. 
Howard Green
WM LT35HDG25(2015) , 2011 4WD F150 Ford Lariat PU, Kawasaki 650 ATV, Stihl 440 Chainsaw, homemade logging arch (w/custom built rear log dolly), JD 750 w/4' wide Bushhog brand FEL

Dad always said "You can shear a sheep a bunch of times but you can only skin him once

rubberfish

Take the time to read and understand Canadian gun laws before you cross.
Not that you can't have firearms, just certain laws need to be followed.
Good luck on your trip and drive safe. You'll have a ball.
Confucius says "He who stands with hands in pocket is feeling cocky"
Bob

Magicman

This will be our 10th time to enter Canada, so there will be no firearms on board.  Zero, and also no pepper spray, tobacco, nor alcohol. 

Passports - check.

Answer all border questions as asked - check. 

Debit card for getting Loonies - check. 

Credit card for purchasing gasoline - check. :o

Actually the exchange rate is very favorable for Canadian travel.  :)

Stephen1

The exchange is great for you coming north, tough for us going south. 
enjoy your trip!
IDRY Vacum Kiln, LT40HDWide, BMS250 sharpener/setter 742b Bobcat, TCM forklift, Sthil 026,038, 461. 1952 TEA Fergusan Tractor

Magicman

And Thank You Stephen for the PM's and other information that you shared here on the FF when I was putting this trip together.  thumbs-up

It's kinda getting down to what the monkey said when he got his tail caught in the fan,  :o   it won't be long now.  :)

rubberfish

Quote from: Magicman on July 11, 2019, 08:45:32 AM

Credit card for purchasing gasoline - check. :o

Actually the exchange rate is very favorable for Canadian travel.  :)
It's the $5 a gallon for fuel that's not so crap hot.  :laugh:
Confucius says "He who stands with hands in pocket is feeling cocky"
Bob

pineywoods

MM be sure the ac is up to snuff. 110 here today. If things go downhill on the first day out, you are always welcome to park on our hill and wait it out. Otherwise at least wave when you go by.. Happy travels
1995 Wood Mizer LT 40, Liquid cooled kawasaki,homebuilt hydraulics. Homebuilt solar dry kiln.  Woodmaster 718 planner, Kubota M4700 with homemade forks and winch, stihl  028, 029, Ms390
100k bd ft club.Charter member of The Grumpy old Men

Bruno of NH

Safe travels for both of you.
Take lots of pictures please.
When you go on a trip it's like l get to ride along.
Lt 40 wide with 38hp gas and command controls , F350 4x4 dump and lot of contracting tools

Magicman

Thanks Jim.  With the threat of Tropical Storm Barry for Saturday and Sunday, I completed the task of loading the camper onto the truck today.  It had already been loaded with our clothes, food, and whatever else. 

We could actually leave today, but nothing has changed.  Our blast off is Monday morning. 

GAB

Quote from: Magicman on July 12, 2019, 05:04:13 PM
Thanks Jim.  With the threat of Tropical Storm Barry for Saturday and Sunday, I completed the task of loading the camper onto the truck today.  It had already been loaded with our clothes, food, and whatever else.  

We could actually leave today, but nothing has changed.  Our blast off is Monday morning.
MM:
Considering the weather forcast, I think you should seriosly consider Wayne's offer.
Just my opinion.
Gerald

Thank You Sponsors!