The Forestry Forum is sponsored in part by:

iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Forestry Forum
Sponsored by:

TimberKing Sawmills

Toll Free 1-800-582-0470

LogRite Tools

Norwood Industries Inc.

Your source for Portable Sawmills, Edgers, Resaws, Sharpeners, Setters, Bandsaw Blades and Sawmill Parts

EZ Boardwalk Sawmills. More Saw For Less Money!

STIHLDealers.com sponsored by Northeast STIHL

Woodland Sawmills

Peterson Swingmills

KASCO SharpTech WoodMaxx Blades

Turbosawmill

Sawmill Exchange

Michigan Firewood, your BRUTE FORCE Authorized Dealer

Baker Products

ECHO-Bearcat

iDRY Wood Lumber Vacuum Drying for everyon

Nyle Kiln Dry Systems

Chainsawr, The Worlds Largest Inventory of Chainsaw Parts

Smith Sawmill Service

Author Topic: I love this Track Saw!  (Read 6774 times)

Offline mredden

• Full Member x2
  • I'm new!
    • Share Post
Re: I love this Track Saw!
« Reply #20 on: December 20, 2019, 01:37:18 PM »
Arrrrgh! Now, I want a track saw but - as a weekend warrior - I just can't justify the price of the Festool in my mind

The DeWalt is tempting and I'm also considering Triton since I love their router so much. Since I mill at 9/4 and plane down with my router, I don't think I need the extra depth of cut.

I have been using a 2" by 12 ft piece of steel as an edge guide for my 7-1/4 Bosche circular saw. Very slow and the saw doesn't like two-inch pecan. I had been considering getting a worm-gear circular saw for increased  torque with my setup.

How is the torque on these saws? Better than a normal circular saw or about the same? I could see them being about the same but cutting better because the saw is more controlled in the cut.

Thumbs up on this thread to everybody.

Offline alan gage

• Senior Member x2
    • Share Post
« Reply #21 on: December 20, 2019, 02:30:08 PM »
Arrrrgh! Now, I want a track saw but - as a weekend warrior - I just can't justify the price of the Festool in my mind

The DeWalt is tempting and I'm also considering Triton since I love their router so much. Since I mill at 9/4 and plane down with my router, I don't think I need the extra depth of cut.

I have been using a 2" by 12 ft piece of steel as an edge guide for my 7-1/4 Bosche circular saw. Very slow and the saw doesn't like two-inch pecan. I had been considering getting a worm-gear circular saw for increased  torque with my setup.

How is the torque on these saws? Better than a normal circular saw or about the same? I could see them being about the same but cutting better because the saw is more controlled in the cut.

Thumbs up on this thread to everybody.
No first hand experience from me since I just bought the TS75 this week but in researching it I found a few people who weren't happy with the performance of the "regular" sized track saws when cutting hardwoods. They thought they didn't have enough power. Could be they were just complaining or using dull blades. Just going by the amp rating I'd expect them to have the same power as a regular circular saw.
For my upcoming project I don't need the extra cutting depth of the TS75 but I know I will in the future and decided buying it now would be cheaper than buying the Makita now and the bigger Festool later. And nearly all my use will be with hardwoods rather than sheet goods and I knew I'd kick myself if a regular sized track saw really did turn out to be under powered.
The Makita track works with the Festool saw, which saves money over buying Festool track. That makes the price difference only the cost of the saw rather than saw+the more expensive Festool track.
Alan
Timberking B-16, a few chainsaws from small to large, and a Bobcat 873 Skidloader.

Offline rastis

• Share Post
« Reply #22 on: December 20, 2019, 02:39:55 PM »
Has anyone found a place that offers Festool track saws at a discount? I've been searching and everywhere it is priced the same.

Offline alan gage

• Senior Member x2
    • Share Post
« Reply #23 on: December 20, 2019, 03:13:31 PM »
Has anyone found a place that offers Festool track saws at a discount? I've been searching and everywhere it is priced the same.
I believe Festool controls the selling price so no one can undersell anyone else.
Alan
Timberking B-16, a few chainsaws from small to large, and a Bobcat 873 Skidloader.

Offline tule peak timber

• Senior Member x2
  • The Wizard of Crap
    • Share Post
    • tule peak timber
« Reply #24 on: December 20, 2019, 05:19:23 PM »
Watch   ToolNut  and they offer free shipping.
persistence personified - never let up , never let down

Offline YellowHammer

• Senior Member x2
  • Take Steps to Save Steps
    • Share Post
    • Hobby Hardwood Alabama
« Reply #25 on: December 20, 2019, 08:55:23 PM »
Mine will buzz through 2 inch rock maple, no problem.  Much stronger than standard circular saw.    The saw also has a built in clutch, it has a good bit of torque and if it hangs it want to kick back but the clutch really helps smooth it down. 
Get the Festool Ripping blade, its called the Panther.  Its significantly faster than the all purpose blade they put on.  Also, I have couple screwdrivers handy to jam in the saw kerf on real long cuts to keep the wood from closing up and binding.
The good news is that the blades can be resharpened, so that helps some.  The saw is a hog, it will cut max depth with no problem.

YellowHammerisms:

Take steps to save steps.

If it wonít roll, its not a log; itís still a piece of tree.  Sawmills cut logs, not pieces of trees.

Kiln drying wood: When the cookies are burned, theyíre burned, and you canít fix them.  Donít burn the cookies.

Offline DR_Buck

• Senior Member x2
  • Nuff said.....
    • Share Post
    • Got Logs?
« Reply #26 on: December 20, 2019, 09:16:10 PM »
I've been looking at the track saw option for a whiles as well.  The depth of cut is what has held me up ..... and the Festool cost to get the required depth.  :)     I would only use it for live edge stuff to relieve the issue with using a straight-edge clamp on the table saw or putting them back on the Wood-Mizer.    I have a panel saw for sheet goods and that was by far one of the best shop tools I bought.  Especially since I work alone almost all of the time.

Maybe next spring I get serious about the Festool TS-75 and the really high dollar track. :o   
Been there, done that.   Never got caught [/b]
Wood-Mizer LT40 Super- Wide HDG38
Lucas Dedicated 60" Slabber

Offline WDH

• Forester
  • Administrator
  • April 1998 - August 2008
    • Share Post
    • hamsleyhardwood.com
« Reply #27 on: December 21, 2019, 07:29:19 AM »
I bought two of the festool 75" tracks and put them together to straignt-edge 10' long slabs.  Works fine.  If I had known that the Makita track would work with the festool tracksaw, I would have gone that route, and I would prefer a single track, but I believe 118" is the longest track that Makita makes. 
Woodmizer LT40HDD35, John Deere 2155, Kubota M5-111, Nyle L53 Dehumidification Kiln, and a passion for all things with leafs, twigs, and bark.  hamsleyhardwood.com

Offline terrifictimbersllc

• Senior Member x2
    • Share Post
    • Terrific Timbers LLC
« Reply #28 on: December 26, 2019, 08:01:05 AM »
How do you secure the the track to the work?Does everyone use the festool clamps? It doesnít seem that they are sold with the saw and track package, only separately. Arent they essential?
DJ Hoover, Terrific Timbers LLC,  Mystic CT Woodmizer Million Board Foot Club member. 2019 LT70 Super Wide 55 Yanmar,  LogRite fetching arch, WM BMS250 sharpener/BMT250 setter.  2001 F350 7.3L PSD 6 spd manual ZF 4x4 Crew Cab Long Bed

Offline YellowHammer

• Senior Member x2
    • Share Post
    • Hobby Hardwood Alabama
« Reply #29 on: December 26, 2019, 08:19:08 AM »
I spent a ton of money on clamps and all kinds of accessories.  None needed.  Find a big flat table and put down the piece of two inch piece of foam board.  Then put the board on the foam.  The weight of the board will hold itself to the foam especially if its a 2 inch slab.  So no slipping.

Then just place the fence on top of the board, either rough sawn or planed, and the fence has some real soft rubber backing that itself grabs the board and keeps the fence from slipping during cuts.  

Put the saw on the track, and its weight pushes the fence down even more, zero slip, zero hassle, zero clamps.  Its magic. :D
YellowHammerisms:

If it wonít roll, its not a log; itís still a piece of tree.  Sawmills cut logs, not pieces of trees.

Kiln drying wood: When the cookies are burned, theyíre burned, and you canít fix them.  Donít burn the cookies.

Offline WDH

• Forester
  • Administrator
    • Share Post
    • hamsleyhardwood.com
« Reply #30 on: December 26, 2019, 09:56:57 AM »
Yep, I have the clamps and have never used them once.  
Woodmizer LT40HDD35, John Deere 2155, Kubota M5-111, Nyle L53 Dehumidification Kiln, and a passion for all things with leafs, twigs, and bark.  hamsleyhardwood.com

Online Nebraska

• Senior Member x2
  • Lurked for quite a while, learning !
    • Share Post
« Reply #31 on: December 26, 2019, 10:42:06 AM »
I had to chuckle a little, I just sat down with a cup and thought I would look this thread up again. Here it is right on top.  I have a little christmas money burning a hole in my pocket. So I 'm stewing on a purchase, so the bigger Festool has the nod from the group??  I'm not sure how much I will need it vs justifying the price of the festool. Yellow hammer's picture of the saw in use pretty much tells me to just suck it up and do it. Oh yeah and while I'm at it, I also need a jointer,  three or so good work tables, and well about  a 40x 60 heated shop. :) Oh yeah and my third electrical phase reattached at the pole if I'm gonna dream.

Offline Brad_bb

• Senior Member x2
    • Share Post
« Reply #32 on: December 27, 2019, 12:01:21 AM »
@Nebraska , well you just have to prioritize.  I have not purchased the festool vacuum yet.  I see though that they have improved from their original design by putting the cord in the vacuum hose so it's one thing to deal with instead of the hose and the cord.  Don't take my word on this though.  I only heard this.  I'm not sure how they deal with the existing power cord.  I better go watch some youtube videos on the vacuum.  It also automatically switches the vacuum on and off when you turn the saw on and off I believe.  It's a good thing.  Good filtration I understand too.

One thing nice about the tracksaw is that you could do some quick edging after drying with it.  It beats using the mill, or an edger, or worse yet a table saw.  I'm using it to edge a bunch of barnwood for wall paneling.  It will fit tight together this way.  You could set up a regular circ saw to edge like shown in the following video, but it relies on you holding the saw to the straight edge, and it will move with any waves or surface defects on the board.  The track of the tracksaw will keep the saw straight and consistent.
Anything someone can design, I can sure figure out how to fix!
If I say it\\\\\\\'s going to take so long, multiply that by at least 3!

Offline EOTE

• I don't suffer from insanity-I enjoy every minute.
    • Share Post
    • Weather at EOTE
« Reply #33 on: December 27, 2019, 12:19:39 AM »
Arrrrgh! Now, I want a track saw but - as a weekend warrior - I just can't justify the price of the Festool in my mind The DeWalt is tempting and I'm also considering Triton since I love their router so much. Since I mill at 9/4 and plane down with my router, I don't think I need the extra depth of cut.

I picked up the DeWalt Track Saw last year with the 5' and 8' tracks and a joiner bar and clamps.  I use it mostly on my big admin edit tables to edge 12' boards.  I absolutely love the thing.  I tried the Festool at our local temple of tools but could not justify the price difference compared to DeWalt.  
EOTE (End of the Earth - i.e. last place on the road in the middle of nowhere)  Retired.  Old guys rule!
Buzz Lightsaw, 12 Mexicans, and lots of Guy Toys

Offline WDH

• Forester
  • Administrator
    • Share Post
    • hamsleyhardwood.com
« Reply #34 on: December 27, 2019, 07:56:18 AM »
The Bosch Vac090A dust extractor works with the Festool tracksaw.  It has filter auto-clean, and also comes on and off with the tool.  It is 9 gallon. 

The 6.9 gallon Festool is $200 more.

Offline rastis

• Share Post
« Reply #35 on: December 27, 2019, 01:39:09 PM »
TS 75 is on the way. I have a couple of upcoming projects that this would be far easier for than trying to clamp a straight edge and use a circular saw. At least thatís what Iím using for justification

Offline Hooterspfld

• Full Member x2
  • I'm a sucker for a chainsaw!
    • Share Post
« Reply #36 on: January 01, 2020, 07:55:23 PM »
I bought the Grizzly 6 1/4" track saw with an extension kit. For the money $350ish with the extension kit, it's been great. I made custom trim for all the door openings in the house. Was quoted $2500 to have it milled in poplar, bought the saw and made it out of MDF for about $400/plus $350 for the saw. Quality of the track and saw are good, but the blade is crap, bought a Freud blade for it right out of the gate. I made a few jigs out of scrap for what I was cutting and have no complaints, I'm able to replicate my cuts over and over. I also use the foam board trick! I ended up getting 2 clamp kits, that gave me 2 of the inserts to connect the track. Helps with the making sure your track stays square. (along with my jig) Depth of the cut is the only problem I've had with it. I think I I get just over 2 1/8"  

Offline alan gage

• Senior Member x2
    • Share Post
« Reply #37 on: January 03, 2020, 04:08:42 PM »
Gave the Festool its first real use last night. Needed more battens to finish some siding work so I plunked down some 10" planks, made some quick marks and started cutting with the long (118" Makita) track. It worked great on 9' boards and in no time had a pile of battens.

The adjustable exhaust port was nice but it's obvious that before I start straight-lining the big piles of lumber stacked in the shop I'll want some dust collection hooked up.

I'm using the more aggressive ripping blade and I could push it through faster than I would normally walk with a saw. That's through 1" spruce. The cut isn't as smooth as the blade that came with it but I'm looking for speed, not glue line rips.

The only thing I don't like about the saw is that it seems to be setup for lefties. I want to push the saw from right to left but it's setup to go from left to right. Last night I was able to stand on the back side of the pieces so that I could use my right hand but that wouldn't work for wider stuff or sheet goods. I'm sure it's something you get used to.

Alan

Offline terrifictimbersllc

• Senior Member x2
    • Share Post
    • Terrific Timbers LLC
« Reply #38 on: January 06, 2020, 08:26:37 AM »
Anybody using blades other than the 36 tooth one that comes with the saw?
DJ Hoover, Terrific Timbers LLC,  Mystic CT Woodmizer Million Board Foot Club member. 2019 LT70 Super Wide 55 Yanmar,  LogRite fetching arch, WM BMS250 sharpener/BMT250 setter.  2001 F350 7.3L PSD 6 spd manual ZF 4x4 Crew Cab Long Bed

Offline YellowHammer

• Senior Member x2
    • Share Post
    • Hobby Hardwood Alabama
« Reply #39 on: January 06, 2020, 09:54:03 AM »
I never use the stock blade, itís good for crosscut but not for ripping.  I use the 16 tooth Panther ripping blade with much better 2Ē deep rips and easily resharpend.  It will crosscut slabs fine, also.  Iíve also used a couple other ripping blades, but keep going back to the Panther.  

I also keep a couple screwdrivers stuck into the foam board.  Whenever the wood starts to bind the saw, Iíll jam a screwdriver in the kerf to jack it open.  Thatís works really well.  
YellowHammerisms:

Share via delicious Share via digg Share via facebook Share via linkedin Share via pinterest Share via reddit Share via stumble Share via tumblr Share via twitter

xx
track saw

Started by xlogger on Drying and Processing

23 Replies
Last post July 05, 2020, 10:47:59 PM
by EOTE
xx
Track id

Started by beenthere on The Outdoor Board

29 Replies
Last post February 19, 2012, 11:15:01 PM
by Clark