iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

Norse/Igland or Farmi/Wallenstein style?

Started by FTD, January 02, 2020, 09:18:02 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

thecfarm

Model 6020-20hp Manual Thomas bandsaw,TC40A 4wd 40 hp New Holland tractor, 450 Norse Winch, Heatmor 400 OWB,YCC 1978-79

wisconsitom

OK see what yer saying there.  Good to know-thanks!

Wish dealer dude was half as helpful.
Ask me about hybrid larch!

thecfarm

I might have posted this you tube I did already on this thread.

How to mount chain saw to tractor - YouTube

I myself don't like things in the bucket. Last time I put a shovel in there and forgot about it.   :(

I do have a box behind the seat too. But that is a bother to get things out of. The chainsaw and fuel I can walk up to the tractor and take it off.
Model 6020-20hp Manual Thomas bandsaw,TC40A 4wd 40 hp New Holland tractor, 450 Norse Winch, Heatmor 400 OWB,YCC 1978-79

wisconsitom

Just looked at mine and can see where guard is made to swivel down.  Guard on 250 don't amount to much and looks as though would just barely, if at all, prevent unit falling rear-ward, if that's the idea....maybe works better on bigger units with taller guards?  Also, maybe I'm wrong but it seems like "stand" is positioned to prevent unit falling forward.  Guard laid down like that wouldn't prevent.

In any case, I have figured out a good method to mount and dismount mine.  It's all about how you've got straight horizontal steel ledge just above where buttplate attaches.  There's your square space to set down on your 12x12 or whatever block you need.  Just one way or another make sure you can't knock it down backwards.

I've heard of using t posts if you got nothing else to hold an implement up for attachment.

As always, love the discussion👍

Hilltop366

My winch has front legs to hold it up, rear legs would be easier.  My brothers doesn't, he backs up to about a foot or two from a tree lowers the winch then puts a choker around the tree (for safety not to hold the winch) then disconnect the top link and then drive the tractor back until the top of the winch is against the tree then remove the drive shaft and lower pins and done.

beenthere

Quote from: wisconsitom on July 26, 2022, 05:17:35 PM
Just looked at mine and can see where guard is made to swivel down.  Guard on 250 don't amount to much and looks as though would just barely, if at all, prevent unit falling rear-ward, if that's the idea....maybe works better on bigger units with taller guards?  Also, maybe I'm wrong but it seems like "stand" is positioned to prevent unit falling forward.  Guard laid down like that wouldn't prevent.

In any case, I have figured out a good method to mount and dismount mine.  It's all about how you've got straight horizontal steel ledge just above where buttplate attaches.  There's your square space to set down on your 12x12 or whatever block you need.  Just one way or another make sure you can't knock it down backwards.

I've heard of using t posts if you got nothing else to hold an implement up for attachment.

As always, love the discussion👍
Where are the pics? Your gallery looks empty, or am I missing something. thanks for some pics in advance. 
south central Wisconsin
It may be that my sole purpose in life is simply to serve as a warning to others

mudfarmer

On my old farmi I have a short piece of pipe welded to a plate at an angle.. the plate is bolted to the winch w two bolts. Then have another piece of pipe for a "leg" that fits inside the stub and pins there with some bolt that was laying around so it comes off. The winch already has two legs so this setup makes a third on the "back" so it can't tip over when off the tractor. I only take the winch off to put on brush hog twice a year though 🤔 no pics sorry beenthere I am out of town for work again  ;D

wisconsitom

Makes sense mudfarmer.

I'm hoping to rarely need to remove.

thecfarm

Last time I removed the winch was when I needed a tire replaced on it a couple years ago.
Wife has a 30 hp tractor with a bush hog on it. That stays on all summer, then the snow blower is put on in the winter months.

DeerMeadowFarm

I guess I missed this thread somehow. I have an Igland winch and I love it. I made a bunch of modifications to it and I thought I had a thread on here that I could point you to but I can't find it. (Did all photos from 2019 disappear?)

wisconsitom

Be interesting to see, @DeerMeadowFarm, if'n you can find.

Thinking I'ma go up and twitch some stuff tomorrow,-no real need to do, since it's usually all winter work for me-but anxious to put mine in action.  Been way busy putting up a new building up there.  Still got electrical, but otherwise done yesterday....woohoo!  More room for shtuff.

foresterdj

For my home-

made winch, I made a dolly with 2 straight and 2 swivel wheels and posts to hold it level, that way I can roll it to the back of the shop when not needed and roll it to tractor to easily mount when wanted. It weighs 690 pounds, so a little too heavy for me to man-handle onto 3 point.

wisconsitom

Yes sir, far too much weight for the likes of me too.  Even my little 290-pounder or whatever it is, you want to have things braced when attaching/reattaching from tractor.

Note to @thecfarm and @g_man, now I look again, can see where pivot point of that guard is low enough, it may well prop up, a bit better than blade itself, 's far as rear-ward tip.

Anyone...advisable to use winch/blade and blocking along with 3-point lift capability to slightly raise tractor off rear end to check beet juice-filled tires air pressure?

thecfarm

Are you asking to check air pressure in rear tires?

Walnut Beast

Very nice! I'm a big fan of having everything on wheels when you have a concrete floor. Another option for guys unable to fabricate steel is self made wooden pallets and a pallet jack will do some amazing things 

mudfarmer

What modern tractor do you have with 3pt down pressure? My Kubota does not have it but my old Belarus does.

What is the function of checking pressure with tires off the ground? I hope you are planning on keeping them on the ground during normal use!  ;D

beenthere

QuoteAnyone...advisable to use winch/blade and blocking along with 3-point lift capability to slightly raise tractor off rear end to check beet juice-filled tires air pressure?

Don't think you can put down pressure on your 3ph to lift the tractor.. if I understand your question.
Or does your Bobcat able to do that?
south central Wisconsin
It may be that my sole purpose in life is simply to serve as a warning to others

beenthere

Would like to see some pics of the new winch and tractor. That possible?
south central Wisconsin

wisconsitom

Whoa whoa fellas, as said, beet juice in rears, so I've been led to believe one should check pressure with valve stems at 12 o'clock, so as to limit likelihood of having said juice enter your tire gauge and mess things up.  I've further heard one can give a little blast of air into tire first, before taking reading, to clear any juice out of valve.  I dunno, nobody here knows about filling rear tires?  Ain't no biggie, just wondered if there's anything inherently wrong with using winch blade, with some nice big blocking under it or so...to lift butt end of tractor one inch off the ground, for as long as it takes to check the tire pressure in two rear tires.  Ain't no thang, I'll manage.🥱

beenthere

No need to get excited. We know about the stem being at high 12 0'clock to check when fluid filled tires. It's the right way to do it.

Our comment is wondering about your implication you are lifting the rear wheels using the 3ph/winch to lift.

Or are you going to jack up under the axle?
south central Wisconsin

thecfarm

I've been around loaded tires all my life.
I rarely check air pressure. 
Not like a car. 
No need to jack it up to check pressure either. 
Or the few times I ever checked, I didn't.
I can just about count the times I have checked tire pressure on 2 hands in more than 40 years.

thecfarm

Woodfarmer

I've had a Farmi 501 on my 90hp case for 22 years. Just bought a new wallenstein 110. Hopefully I get as good a service out of it.

thecfarm

Woodfarmer

Got a good deal on it, just wanted a new one I guess.

Thank You Sponsors!