iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

Cutting firewood for next winter

Started by cutterboy, January 24, 2020, 08:07:20 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

cutterboy

Hi all. I'm on my wood supply for next year. Yesterday afternoon I cut up a top of a red oak that I had taken a couple of logs from earlier. First I cut all the branches into stove length then skid the main stem out into the field and cut it into 4' lengths. I loaded half the 4footers onto the tractor forks, carried them to barn and unloaded them onto my wood pile.

Firewood is a lot of work, but I do enjoy it.

All the best, Cutter
To underestimate old men and old machines is the folly of youth. Frank C.

dirtmotor

looks like your getting a good start on next years I have been doing the same , last week end I dug up a oak that got hit by lightning hope to get it cut up tomorrow if its not too wet .

Al_Smith

I've got so much I'm not even concerned about the amount  standing dead or on the  ground at this time .I can't keep up with it best to just let it standing  dead for the time being .Warm winter on top of that which takes nearly as much wood keeping the fire going as running the blower on the wood stove which could cause old people sitting around in their under ware with the windows and doors open .This has not been a typical winter .

thecfarm

A very good idea on cutting wood for next year.
Model 6020-20hp Manual Thomas bandsaw,TC40A 4wd 40 hp New Holland tractor, 450 Norse Winch, Heatmor 400 OWB,YCC 1978-79

cutterboy

dirtmotor, there is a lot of firewood in that tree and you'll be splitting wood for a while.

Wood Shed

Some of them four footers look pretty hefty to me.  I stopped trying to handle stuff that big years ago. It only takes a slight wrong move to seriously injure your back, then it is game over.  I do chunk things up to reduce handling somewhat but have found reducing the amount of lifting is best.
A society grows great when old men plant trees whose shade they know they shall never sit in." -Greek Proverb

cutterboy

Yes, as we get older we have to work smarter. The really heavy 4footers get rolled onto the tractor forks, not lifted.

Ron Scott

~Ron

dirtmotor

Tree is all cut and piled up by the splitter , except for root ball and an 11 footer I am going to try and get on the mill . Burned all the tops and cleaned up , took all weekend my back says that's enough fun . Sometimes I wonder if its worth the hard work , but i sure do like a good fire !

hedgerow

Cutterboy. Its nice to see someone getting a start on next years wood. The weather around here has not been good to go to the timber. We have had a fair amount of rain ice and snow it was minus five the other morning with twenty below wind chill then 36 the next morning and lot of mud. Probably will be summer before I get to the timber again. Seems like our springs have been strange and when it drys up its time to go to the field and plant corn and beans. Years ago we used to cut more firewood in the winter the weather seemed to be better suited back then. 

cutterboy

upnut

I too am cutting back field edges, this will be firewood a couple winters from now. I now have a place to store it out of the weather, should be good firewood...

Some of it is mostly brush

Good rabbit habitat and a few BTU's

Scott B.
I did not fall, there was a GRAVITY SURGE!

cutterboy

Scott, you have a nice setup and you are smart to do all the processing  of the firewood right there by the field's edge. It keeps the mess there.
  BTW, is that a logrite hookaroon I see? I have one and it is the most useful tool I own.
  I know what you mean about more brush than trees along the edge of the field.

all the best,  Cutter

upnut

Yes, that is a Logrite hookaroon, works great moving heavy rounds. I am considering replacing my heavy old cant hook with a Logrite version as well. 

Scott B.

cutterboy

You'll be very happy if you do. I own two Logrite cant hooks and I love them. They are so much better than the old one I used to use.

Al_Smith

It's been very mild this year and has been for several .However just 5 minutes ago when I loaded up the insert stove with EAB killed ash I'm really going to miss that stuff as fire wood .I may have 3-4 years left but  once it's gone it's gone . :(

cutterboy

I love ash for firewood. It's just about my favorite. So far no problem with EAB, but it seems to be making it's way in this direction. :-\

upnut

Bartered with my neighbor, my chainsaws and labor for the use of a digger to remove stumps, this is what he rented for us to use...

A step up from the Case 580CK I ran many years ago! Enough firewood for three families in the 100 year old fence row he/we are clearing...My wife said I never stopped grinning...

Scott B.

hedgerow

Upnut
That's a nice size track hoe. You can get a bunch of stumps out with that in a day. Enjoy. 

DavidBlaine

New here, but yeah been taking advantage of any nice day we have to cut up and split the stuff I cut down last summer. Some of it soft Maple, but will still heat the house next winter. I have a much smaller property than most of you apparently, so I made a huge mess this year in one spot processing. What do y'all do to clean up sawdust and the bark chippings from cutting and splitting? Any secrets for quick cleanup without EDITED BY ADMIN up my grass?

trapper

pickup and burn large pieces of bark  the rest disappears after mowing the grass a few times
stihl ms241cm ms261cm  echo 310 400 suzuki  log arch made by stepson several logrite tools woodmizer LT30

DavidBlaine

Quote from: trapper on March 04, 2020, 10:17:39 AM
pickup and burn large pieces of bark  the rest disappears after mowing the grass a few times
Yeah, I burn the big stuff too. I won't be cutting grass until the ground dries up and it actually starts growing again. FYI in Ontario Canada. Was looking more for an idea of what to do in winter/spring so I don't have to look at the mess until grass cutting season starts. The snow hid it but now that it's melting I have a ton to clean up...

A-z farmer

Welcome to the forestry forum Davidblaine 
Doing firewood makes lots of pieces of bark and sawdust but if you rake it up and compost it that will help.We only cut dead trees so we end up with many yards of bark and sawdust every day cutting next years firewood.If it is frozen in the ground just keep raking up the mess until it all thaws and if done before green up it should not hurt the grass.
Zeke

DavidBlaine

I guess we all do the same thing. Raking. Time consuming but I do love burning wood that I've processed myself. Hard work but feels nice and warm at the end of it all.

dirtmotor

cleaned up stacked and ready to cover , sure is nice to be finished 8)

Thank You Sponsors!