The Forestry Forum is sponsored in part by:

iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Forestry Forum
Sponsored by:

TimberKing Sawmills

Toll Free 1-800-582-0470

LogRite Tools

Norwood Industries Inc.

Your source for Portable Sawmills, Edgers, Resaws, Sharpeners, Setters, Bandsaw Blades and Sawmill Parts

EZ Boardwalk Sawmills. More Saw For Less Money!

STIHLDealers.com sponsored by Northeast STIHL

Woodland Sawmills

Peterson Swingmills

KASCO SharpTech WoodMaxx Blades

Turbosawmill

Sawmill Exchange

Michigan Firewood, your BRUTE FORCE Authorized Dealer

Baker Products

ECHO-Bearcat

iDRY Wood Lumber Vacuum Drying for everyon

Nyle Kiln Dry Systems

Chainsawr, The Worlds Largest Inventory of Chainsaw Parts

Smith Sawmill Service

Author Topic: punky wood and low viscosity epoxy!  (Read 4079 times)

Offline Resonator

• Board Footage and Cord Woodage
    • Share Post
Re: punky wood and low viscosity epoxy!
« Reply #20 on: July 27, 2020, 10:02:07 PM »
Yes! smiley_guitarist
Under bark there's boards and beams, somewhere in between.
Cuttin' while its green, through a steady sawdust stream.
I'm chasing the sawdust dream.

Proud owner of a Wood-Mizer 2017 LT28G19

Offline Old Greenhorn

• Senior Member x2
  • An old coot, still learning.
    • Share Post
    • Woodsman Forest Products
« Reply #21 on: July 28, 2020, 07:04:36 AM »
DOc, you play dobro?! You truly are a man of many talents.
(You might wanna throw a sheet over that thing, you are gonna bee cleaning sawdust out of all the little innard parts for a long time.)
Tom Lindtveit, Woodsman Forest Products
Oscar 328 Band Mill, Husky 450, 372 (Clone), Mule 3010, and too many hand tools. :) Retired and trying to make a living to stay that way. NYLT Certified.
OK, maybe I am the woodcutter now.
I can work with wood, but I am NOT a Woodworker, yet.

Online doc henderson

• Senior Member x2
  • Evil Prevails when Good Men Standby and Do Nothing
    • Share Post
« Reply #22 on: July 28, 2020, 08:20:25 AM »
that is what compressed air is for!? ;) :) :D.  It is a style of music, that some would say, there is no such thing as  a "good dobro player".  (I like bashful brother Oswald).  Maybe my wife won't let me bring it in the house.  8) It gets played along with music in the shop.  often at the early morning hours.  maybe a beer or two.  At my old job at the children's hospital, it was played at about 1 AM.
timberking B 2000, 277c track loader, PJ 32 foot gooseneck, 1976 F700 state dump truck, JD 850 tractor.  2007 Chevy 3500HD dually, home built log splitter 18 horse 28 gpm with 5 inch cylinder and 32 inch split range with conveyor 12 volt tarp motor

Offline Old Greenhorn

• Senior Member x2
    • Share Post
« Reply #23 on: July 28, 2020, 09:26:28 AM »
 It is a style of music, that some would say, there is no such thing as  a "good dobro player".  (I like bashful brother Oswald).  
Sorry Doc, gotta stop you right there. I don't know who Brother Oswald is, but I do know Jerry Douglas and Cindy Cashdollar. Jerry is an acquaintance and Cindy is a local friend, both are monster players over many genre's. (I also had Andy Hall (Infamous Stringdusters) buy me a beer at a bar once before I realized who he was. Yes, I bought him one too.)
 I do agree that instrument can be a 'challenge' for some folks to appreciate. I am reminded of a high end workshop I was working at with Cindy leading the talk. It was the only workshop in the whole 3 day program where instruments were not allowed. I am paraphrasing Cindy here, but she said something like "Can you imagine 30 Dobros in the same room all trying to learn the same tune or licks? Good God! I could not survive that!" :D :D
 I did get to watch Cindy and Jerry share the same stage during that weekend and it was something I will never forget. Two very different players and people but both very good at what they do. Fun folks to hang out with too.
Oscar 328 Band Mill, Husky 450, 372 (Clone), Mule 3010, and too many hand tools. :) Retired and trying to make a living to stay that way. NYLT Certified.

Online doc henderson

• Senior Member x2
    • Share Post
« Reply #24 on: July 28, 2020, 10:46:59 AM »
@Old Greenhorn I choose this one cause hit hat looks like yours.  you friends will know of him.  go to 50 seconds to start the song.

timberking B 2000, 277c track loader, PJ 32 foot gooseneck, 1976 F700 state dump truck, JD 850 tractor.  2007 Chevy 3500HD dually, home built log splitter 18 horse 28 gpm with 5 inch cylinder and 32 inch split range with conveyor 12 volt tarp motor

Offline Old Greenhorn

• Senior Member x2
    • Share Post
« Reply #25 on: July 28, 2020, 11:58:27 AM »
That feller has some good hands. How can anybody not like that?!

Online alan gage

• Senior Member x2
    • Share Post
« Reply #26 on: July 28, 2020, 12:57:19 PM »
Also remember that several days are required for the "thinner" to outgass and leave the wood.

I think this is worth repeating. I've had the same experience when thinning epoxy (multiple brands). For a day or two it has a kind of gummy plastic feel to it but after that feels and sands just like regular unthinned resin. As far as I know you can thin any epoxy but I can see why manufacturer's wouldn't recommend it as it changes the way it works and cures. Some say it might reduce strength too but that doesn't matter in an application like this.

Alan
Timberking B-16, a few chainsaws from small to large, and a Bobcat 873 Skidloader.

Online doc henderson

• Senior Member x2
    • Share Post
« Reply #27 on: July 28, 2020, 01:55:17 PM »
I get more stock Thursday, and we will finish the low viscosity stabilization of the wood.  I work 11 out of the next 13 days, (vacations)  so It will set for days after getting the thin on.  Will then move onto filling cracks, and flattening the slab.  should I re-flatten before or after the cracks are filled.  the slab will be more stable after the filling of cracks.  then will sand and finish with a top bar coat.

Offline tule peak timber

• Senior Member x2
  • The Wizard of Crap
    • Share Post
    • tule peak timber
« Reply #28 on: July 28, 2020, 02:16:01 PM »
Also remember that several days are required for the "thinner" to outgass and leave the wood.

I think this is worth repeating. I've had the same experience when thinning epoxy (multiple brands). For a day or two it has a kind of gummy plastic feel to it but after that feels and sands just like regular unthinned resin. As far as I know you can thin any epoxy but I can see why manufacturer's wouldn't recommend it as it changes the way it works and cures. Some say it might reduce strength too but that doesn't matter in an application like this.

Alan
Some epoxy's thin (dilute) better that others. Salesmen will always tell you NO ! ,,,but they are just sales people. I use about six different types of epoxy for different jobs and they all have their place. This morning alone -a phone call from Alaska, 2 customers, and a PM from a member here all relating to epoxy use. When used correctly , an awesome tool.  
persistence personified - never let up , never let down

Online doc henderson

• Senior Member x2
    • Share Post
« Reply #29 on: July 28, 2020, 07:20:26 PM »
thanks Tule.  I was just looking at the slabs.  the slabs came from near the pith.  the heart wood has splits, and the differential density from the heart wood to punk wood has not made that better.  we are happy with the look we will get filling with an opaque black in the cracks.  do you think it is better to fill these, so the piece is solid on the mill?  I have a little twist and cupping.  It is funny that the Wagner moisture meter read 14 in the center, 3 on one edge and 0 on the other edge.  now after filling with LV epoxy, reading in the 5s on the edges.  I will have hundreds in epoxy, so I do not want to ruin it on the mill flattening it.  will it mill ok.

Offline tule peak timber

• Senior Member x2
  • The Wizard of Crap
    • Share Post
    • tule peak timber
« Reply #30 on: July 28, 2020, 07:37:50 PM »
Epoxy is fine against HSS or carbide. Make darn sure that you blow out any foreign material (sand/dirt) BEFORE any epoxy is applied to your wood. Can't comment on moisture differential as we cook our woods down to 5% minus before infusion, that is 150degrees for weeks. When you go past 50 gallons a month the epoxy distributors get real friendly.... :D :D :D :D :D

Online doc henderson

• Senior Member x2
    • Share Post
« Reply #31 on: July 28, 2020, 07:57:44 PM »
I have bought on Amazon, any inside track on cheaper?  thanks for you help.  this project is worth the investment, but i do not want to ruin it.  I have 10 and 7 blades.  any thoughts?  I am thinking I will fill cracks first as at one end, some are now almost 1/2 inch wide.

Online doc henderson

• Senior Member x2
    • Share Post
« Reply #32 on: July 28, 2020, 08:04:07 PM »
I am sure the moisture meter was reflecting the relative density of the wood and to some degree the MC.  I think the punky wood dries faster.  No way to look up the setting for "very punky sycamore" and change it in different regions of the slab.  it is more the way the meter interprets density and converts that to a relative MC.  the limitation of the device based on tech.

Offline tule peak timber

• Senior Member x2
  • The Wizard of Crap
    • Share Post
    • tule peak timber
« Reply #33 on: July 28, 2020, 09:43:58 PM »
I have bought on Amazon, any inside track on cheaper?  thanks for you help.  this project is worth the investment, but i do not want to ruin it.  I have 10 and 7 blades.  any thoughts?  I am thinking I will fill cracks first as at one end, some are now almost 1/2 inch wide.
Fiberglass , Epoxy , Composites, Carbon Fiber - U.S. Composites, Inc., Ultraclear epoxy, AeroMarine epoxy, best bartop epoxy, And there are various smaller distributors selling from the chemical plants as sales people. Shell Epon, CibaGeigy, and other principals. Don't discount Jamestown Distributors with their repackaging. Fibreglast carbon fiber Co, and other carbon fiber dist. (and fiberglass sales folks) all carry their own brand of repackaged epoxy in various viscosity. West, but they just are sales people not principals, but I am unable to confirm after years of their ads (Epoxyheads/ West systems). I have used these suppliers and more that I won't list who coat golf clubs, tennis rackets, bats, fishing poles, military, marine, space, aircraft, medical, secret junk ad nauseum.
  So cheapest maybe the first two. Today I used several gallons of AeroMarine 300/21 series on a 5 X42 foot walnut top spot filling while over the weekend several gallons of Smiths CPS to prep two vanities and a giant pine slab, and spot repair a bunch of walnut wall panel. I'm not much on "showing " epoxy but very bullish on it's wood stabilizing properties. Rob

Online alan gage

• Senior Member x2
    • Share Post
« Reply #34 on: July 29, 2020, 05:44:08 PM »
Raka is very popular in the cedar strip canoe world. Relatively thin. Nice cost. Good performance. Multiple hardener choices. Haven't heard any complaints about them and I've been happy.

Alan
Timberking B-16, a few chainsaws from small to large, and a Bobcat 873 Skidloader.

Offline WDH

• Forester
  • Administrator
  • April 1998 - August 2008
    • Share Post
    • hamsleyhardwood.com
« Reply #35 on: July 29, 2020, 08:20:43 PM »
It jumps out like a resonator guitar. 
Woodmizer LT40HDD35, John Deere 2155, Kubota M5-111, Nyle L53 Dehumidification Kiln, and a passion for all things with leafs, twigs, and bark.  hamsleyhardwood.com

Offline tule peak timber

• Senior Member x2
  • The Wizard of Crap
    • Share Post
    • tule peak timber
« Reply #36 on: July 29, 2020, 08:49:45 PM »
Yup, epoxy is good to build guitars with as there is no moisture in it  :)

Offline Old Greenhorn

• Senior Member x2
    • Share Post
« Reply #37 on: July 29, 2020, 09:16:00 PM »
I would think if you made a resonator guitar out of resin, it would fail to provide resonance. ;D

Tule, what were you doing to that poor guitar?

Offline tule peak timber

• Senior Member x2
  • The Wizard of Crap
    • Share Post
    • tule peak timber
« Reply #38 on: July 29, 2020, 09:22:12 PM »
I split it in two, added a brass and walnut composite sandwich in the center that stood proud around the perimeter by 1/2 inch. Also a new pick up and some other box thing. A polished radius gave the guitar a new look.....$$$ 8)

Offline Old Greenhorn

• Senior Member x2
    • Share Post
« Reply #39 on: July 29, 2020, 10:01:38 PM »
Also a new pick up and some other box thing.
I love it when you talk technical :D. I have a high end Luthier friend that would be rolling his eyes at that "some other box thing" remark. Those guys go crazy picking out just the right stuff for a particular sound and customer and playing style and the time of the year and the phase of the moon. Who makes it, what wire is it wound with, what was the humidity when it was wound, all make a big difference apparently. Who knew? :D

Share via delicious Share via digg Share via facebook Share via linkedin Share via pinterest Share via reddit Share via stumble Share via tumblr Share via twitter

xx
QUESTION RE: Drying and movement of Epoxy/Resin "Encased" Wood?

Started by mredden on Drying and Processing

15 Replies
Last post December 04, 2019, 09:29:05 PM
by GeneWengert-WoodDoc
xx
punky logs

Started by gtr on Sawmills and Milling

3 Replies
Last post August 11, 2006, 12:02:19 AM
by pineywoods
xx
Punky oak for stickers?