The Forestry Forum is sponsored in part by:

iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Forestry Forum
Sponsored by:

TimberKing Sawmills

Toll Free 1-800-582-0470

LogRite Tools

Norwood Industries Inc.

Your source for Portable Sawmills, Edgers, Resaws, Sharpeners, Setters, Bandsaw Blades and Sawmill Parts

EZ Boardwalk Sawmills. More Saw For Less Money!

STIHLDealers.com sponsored by Northeast STIHL

Woodland Sawmills

Peterson Swingmills

KASCO SharpTech WoodMaxx Blades

Turbosawmill

Sawmill Exchange

Michigan Firewood, your BRUTE FORCE Authorized Dealer

Baker Products

ECHO-Bearcat

iDRY Wood Lumber Vacuum Drying for everyon

Nyle Kiln Dry Systems

Chainsawr, The Worlds Largest Inventory of Chainsaw Parts

Smith Sawmill Service

Author Topic: Windows in shop- yes or no?  (Read 3030 times)

Offline alan gage

• Senior Member x2
    • Share Post
Re: Windows in shop- yes or no?
« Reply #40 on: February 26, 2021, 09:51:35 AM »
So I did an experiment this winter, but not because of this topic, but relatedto and changed my mind.  I made internal foam shutters for my polebarn windows as I am geating it this winter, and I thought it would help with nighttime heat retention.

While it helped with my goal, I took them all down this week. I hated it. I had plenty of led light, but even in a 30x40 open polebarn, it was clostraphobic.  I also lost the abilty to look out from the house the 100 paces to the barn and see if I forgot to turn the lights off.  :)
That's a good test.
I've been thinking about it this winter too. Most of my shop time comes during the winter in the evenings after work, which means I'm mostly working in the shop when it's dark. So why do I need windows? :)
One thing I really do enjoy during nice spring/summer/fall weather is working with all the doors open during the day. The dog and cat love being able to wander in and out on their own and I like hearing the birds.
Alan
Timberking B-16, a few chainsaws from small to large, and a Bobcat 873 Skidloader.

Offline ljohnsaw

• Senior Member x2
  • Happily retired... Working harder than ever!
    • Share Post
« Reply #41 on: February 26, 2021, 10:00:34 AM »
The dog and cat love being able to wander in and out on their own

I have just a man door.  I leave it open most of the time while working in the cave.  One dog will bring in a ball to set behind me to get me to trip and hopefully toss it outside.  The other will come in all sheepishly looking around and sniffing.  I'll ask her "what are you doing" and she wags her tail.  Then she will spot a scrap of wood, grabs it and runs out to chew it up.  Returns in a few minutes for more...  If nothing is around that she can find, I'll take a piece out of the scrap bucket to give her.  Makes her really happy.
John Sawicky

Just North-East of Sacramento...

SkyTrak 9038, Davis Little Monster backhoe, Case 16+4 Trencher, Home Built 42" capacity/32" cut Bandmill up to 54' long - using it all to build a timber frame cabin.

Offline SwampDonkey

• Forester
  • Large Tooth
    • Share Post
« Reply #42 on: February 26, 2021, 01:56:47 PM »
So I did an experiment this winter, but not because of this topic, but relatedto and changed my mind.  
Yep, the idea of a man cave is one thing, but to spend quality time in a man made cave any length of time is another. Plus the other reason you suggest. :D :D I'd like to be able to see through windows from the house into the shop to know if someone with a flash light in their hand is fishing around my stuff. :D
No amount of belief makes something a fact. James Randi

Offline doc henderson

• Senior Member x2
  • Evil Prevails when Good Men Standby and Do Nothing
    • Share Post
« Reply #43 on: February 26, 2021, 11:09:01 PM »
My German Shepard Libby has a bark that tells me "someone is here". and I go to a window to look out and see if it is a friend she is acquainted with and they will not be worried, or someone visiting my wife, sitting in their car cause the dog is barking, or UPS where some get out and are fine and others are worried.  windows in the  man door, and French doors.  windows in the garage door.  1 in the north, 2 in the south, 4 in the front, and 2 in the back.  and 4 in the basement of the shop.  
timberking B 2000, 277c track loader, PJ 32 foot gooseneck, 1976 F700 state dump truck, JD 850 tractor.  2007 Chevy 3500HD dually, home built log splitter 18 horse 28 gpm with 5 inch cylinder and 32 inch split range with conveyor 12 volt tarp motor

Offline kantuckid

• Senior Member x2
    • Share Post
« Reply #44 on: February 27, 2021, 07:20:11 AM »
So I did an experiment this winter, but not because of this topic, but relatedto and changed my mind.  I made internal foam shutters for my polebarn windows as I am geating it this winter, and I thought it would help with nighttime heat retention.

While it helped with my goal, I took them all down this week. I hated it. I had plenty of led light, but even in a 30x40 open polebarn, it was clostraphobic.  I also lost the abilty to look out from the house the 100 paces to the barn and see if I forgot to turn the lights off.  :)
That's a good test.
I've been thinking about it this winter too. Most of my shop time comes during the winter in the evenings after work, which means I'm mostly working in the shop when it's dark. So why do I need windows? :)
One thing I really do enjoy during nice spring/summer/fall weather is working with all the doors open during the day. The dog and cat love being able to wander in and out on their own and I like hearing the birds.
Alan
Why, cause odds are you'll not always be in yer 40's! :) :) :):D I head for the shop on mostly bad weather days and really like the connection with the real world outside, natural light too, of course. 
Kan=Kansas;tuck=Kentucky;kid=what I'm not

Offline Old Greenhorn

• Senior Member x2
  • An old coot, still learning.
    • Share Post
    • Woodsman Forest Products
« Reply #45 on: February 27, 2021, 08:06:40 AM »
Add me in the 'windows=YES' column. I worked my whole career in shops with few windows, too many windows (colder than a well digger in winter, hotter than heck in the summer), no windows, and one shop that only had 1 4x4' window (40,000 sq. ft.).
 I need the connection to outside and like to be able to look down the driveway and see either who is coming in, or who is driving by so I can keep up with any new equipment on the road. ;D Wish I could see down the drive from upstairs, but the angle is all wrong. Might add a camera and monitor for that someday. Most (OK, all) folks miss my driveway when they come the first few times, signs rarely help for some reason, so if I see them drive on by I walk down the drive to wave the next time they go by.
 I get sun coming in through the windows in the two bay doors during the day and that heats the slab up quite a bit. I like to keep an eye on the weather, keep an eye out for oddballs cruising the road for no apparent reason, Watch for delivery trucks, and I like to be able to keep an eye on the shop from the house in case something goes really wrong or I left the lights on (again).
 I don't like being in a cave, did that for too many years. Can't wait until the weather is better and I can open some doors!
Tom Lindtveit, Woodsman Forest Products
Oscar 328 Band Mill, Husky 450, 372 (Clone), Mule 3010, and too many hand tools. :) Retired and trying to make a living to stay that way. NYLT Certified.
OK, maybe I am the woodcutter now.
I can work with wood, but I am NOT a Woodworker, yet.

Offline Ed_K

• Senior Member x2
  • Leave it better than you found it. Ed_K
    • Share Post
« Reply #46 on: February 27, 2021, 10:59:07 AM »
 When I rebuilt my sugar house I hadn't found any windows on the side of the road so it's still dark with 6 medium size led lights around the arch and over the wood lathe and one end of the building where I set up a small wood working area. The wood shed is on the house side so I can't see if the lights are on either :(.
Ed K

Offline DR_Buck

• Senior Member x2
  • Nuff said.....
    • Share Post
    • Got Logs?
« Reply #47 on: February 27, 2021, 11:45:43 AM »

I like windows.    But like Old Greenhorn posted above, I've worked the last 40 years in buildings and offices with almost no windows for security reasons and now I like to be able to see outside.    However, I also like wall space in the shop.  

My current shop/garage are the same building separated by an internal wall.  The garage side does not have windows and the woodshop side does not have windows on the walls.    However, both in this new shop and my previous on when we had the farm I put in double doors with windows that look out the front where I can see the house and driveway.  

Been there, done that.   Never got caught [/b]
Wood-Mizer LT40 Super- Wide HDG38
Lucas Dedicated 60" Slabber

Offline Andries

• Senior Member x2
  • Making buildings out of big curvy logs
    • Share Post
« Reply #48 on: February 27, 2021, 01:47:20 PM »
Windows = Yes.
How else is the shop dog going to keep track of rodents in trees?

LT30G24, LT40G25
Ford 545 Series loaders
Stihl chainsaws

Offline farmfromkansas

• Senior Member x2
    • Share Post
« Reply #49 on: February 28, 2021, 09:26:41 PM »
I like windows for light and ventilation, but having windows and 3 garage doors, and 2 walk in doors, limits wall space.  Have built shelves where I can, maybe have to add shelves above the miter saw.  Running out of places to store stuff.  My shop is an old pole building that was here when I bought the place, 66x26. Being a tight wad, couldn't just tear it down and build a nice building, had to fix it up.
Most everything I enjoy doing turns out to be work

Offline ljohnsaw

• Senior Member x2
  • Happily retired... Working harder than ever!
    • Share Post
« Reply #50 on: February 28, 2021, 11:33:07 PM »
John Sawicky

Just North-East of Sacramento...

SkyTrak 9038, Davis Little Monster backhoe, Case 16+4 Trencher, Home Built 42" capacity/32" cut Bandmill up to 54' long - using it all to build a timber frame cabin.

Offline aigheadish

• Full Member x2
  • Tiiiiimmbeeerrr!
    • Share Post
« Reply #51 on: March 02, 2021, 08:58:12 AM »
Shelving, with windows in the way, will definitely be an issue as my shop starts to fill up. With very limited floor space I'm going to have to be very creative with storing all kinds of stuff on the walls, as well as decorations/signs/knickknacky junk, etc. I just took down my wall of storage in my old shop area so I can reorganize it a bit but now find that I have a bunch of junk with no where to go.
New Holland LB75b, Husqvarna 455 Rancher, Husqvarna GTH52XLS, Hammerhead 250, Honda VTX1300 for now and probably for sale (let me know if you are interested!)

Offline doc henderson

• Senior Member x2
    • Share Post
« Reply #52 on: March 02, 2021, 01:48:34 PM »
I am still unpacking from our move.  I have boxes still not unpacked, in part as there is not place to put it.  finishing cabinets.  I have a big shelf over many window.  with 12 foot sidewalls.  I also have 4 skylights in the roof/ceiling.  I set small things on the window ledge.  did I mention we moved here 20 years ago, and built the shop in 2005.  I have done most of the interior on my own, between kids and work.  I heat and cool in the appropriate seasons.  for ventilation I open doors.  I might open a window 4 times a year.
timberking B 2000, 277c track loader, PJ 32 foot gooseneck, 1976 F700 state dump truck, JD 850 tractor.  2007 Chevy 3500HD dually, home built log splitter 18 horse 28 gpm with 5 inch cylinder and 32 inch split range with conveyor 12 volt tarp motor

Offline aigheadish

• Full Member x2
  • Tiiiiimmbeeerrr!
    • Share Post
« Reply #53 on: March 02, 2021, 01:58:28 PM »
Haha! Nice to hear I'm not the only one who takes a long time to get things done, though I have a feeling you @doc henderson live a much busier life than me...
New Holland LB75b, Husqvarna 455 Rancher, Husqvarna GTH52XLS, Hammerhead 250, Honda VTX1300 for now and probably for sale (let me know if you are interested!)

Offline doc henderson

• Senior Member x2
    • Share Post
« Reply #54 on: March 02, 2021, 02:00:29 PM »
most of us are busy, so many hours in a day.  I will take some pics to add later.  should make you feel better if you have a messy shop as well.   :D

Offline alan gage

• Senior Member x2
    • Share Post
« Reply #55 on: March 02, 2021, 02:47:52 PM »
I will take some pics to add later.  should make you feel better if you have a messy shop as well.   :D
Yes, please do. I always love seeing pictures of your shop. Not that I'm any better but it makes me feel good to know I'm not alone.

Actually my shop is better right now because it's only been built for a year so while it's already quite full the clutter is still building.

I did build this shop smaller than my last one. One reason was because of available building space and also because I realized I only used a relatively small percentage of my old one and that all that extra space let me pile and store things willy nilly. Hoping less space will force to me to keep things organized a bit more. I'll know how it worked out in 5 years or so.

I've already put shelving units and freestanding shelves for lumber on almost all the clear spaces of wall not taken up by doors or machines and I need to add more. Still glad I didn't put any windows in (the man door and overhead door both have windows).

Alan
Timberking B-16, a few chainsaws from small to large, and a Bobcat 873 Skidloader.

Offline doc henderson

• Senior Member x2
    • Share Post
« Reply #56 on: March 02, 2021, 04:22:09 PM »

neat as a pin!   :)  I have been organizing, but always look in the old place for stuff first. 

Offline alan gage

• Senior Member x2
    • Share Post
« Reply #57 on: March 02, 2021, 04:42:21 PM »
Wow, impressive! Nice work.

I didn't see any shots of the floor though. :)

Alan

Share via delicious Share via digg Share via facebook Share via linkedin Share via pinterest Share via reddit Share via stumble Share via tumblr Share via twitter

xx
How to do windows?

Started by Doug_D on Timber Framing/Log construction

8 Replies
Last post August 21, 2009, 05:15:03 PM
by shinnlinger
xx
Windows

Started by wannaergo on Forestry and Logging

15 Replies
Last post April 04, 2015, 08:29:22 PM
by Corley5