Sponsors:

Windows in shop- yes or no?

Started by alan gage, August 27, 2020, 12:03:50 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

alan gage

For me it's a no.

What about you?

Alan

Timberking B-16, a few chainsaws from small to large, and a Bobcat 873 Skidloader.

Den-Den

none in my shop.  If I was building one, I might put in a skylight (angled to the north) but not a regular window.
You may think that you can or may think you can't; either way, you are right.

Texas Ranger

none, but would not mind a couple
The Ranger, home of Texas Forestry

sawguy21

I worked in a windowless shop for a year, the lack of natural light bothered me.
old age and treachery will always overcome youth and enthusiasm

Ljohnsaw

None.  I'm in a "daylight" basement with two exterior walls.  One is under a deck (dark) and the other has a outdoor closet taking up a big portion of the wall.  Besides, wall space is a premium for storing stuff.
John Sawicky

Just North-East of Sacramento...

SkyTrak 9038, Ford 545D FEL, Davis Little Monster backhoe, Case 16+4 Trencher, Home Built 42" capacity/36" cut Bandmill up to 54' long - using it all to build a timber frame cabin.

Jeff

Quote from: ljohnsaw on August 27, 2020, 02:03:48 PMBesides, wall space is a premium for storing stuff.

I have 3 windows in my polebarn and I am always wishing I could hang stuff where they are. I want to build a woodshop next spring and if I do, no windows.
Just call me the midget doctor.
Forestry Forum Founder and Chief Cook and Bottle Washer.

Commercial circle sawmill sawyer in a past life for 25yrs.
Ezekiel 22:30

sprucebunny

Got to be !!!! I went with a higher ceiling=wall space and extra windows.

It's an all purpose space. I have plants and grow lights on the south side, storage on wheels and room for a car in the middle and woodworking tools on the inside side.
MS193, MS192 and an 026  Weeding and Thinning. Gilbert Champion sawmill

Wudman

Windows in one end in mine for the fans.  Open the 8 foot door and get a good cross breeze blowing.  Couldn't stand the heat without it.

Wudman
"You may tear down statues and burn buildings but you can't kill the spirit of patriots and when they've had enough this madness will end."
Charlie Daniels
July 4, 2020 (2 days before his death)

low_48

I've done subterranean woodworking most of my life in our basement, and then the day job at Caterpillar where windows are very rare. Now that I am retired, I can't be outside enough. So windows would be a must for me now. 

Hilltop366

Yes.

I enjoy being able to look outside, my windows are up high enough to be able to put a bench under them and have a small shelf or board.

As sprucebunny mentioned high walls ( minimum 10" if you plan to work with plywood) are handy as well as adding high windows for natural lighting without taking up too much wall space.

I have not done this but another idea would be to put windows in the doors so you get windows without losing wall space.

Note: I say doors because I prefer to have more than one exit to a work shop in case of fire.

caveman

When we built our 50x75 metal building in 1991, we had five windows that are roughly 36" x 72" installed.  In retrospect, I wish we did not have windows.  They are covered with expanded metal so they are difficult to keep clean.  They reduce the amount of available wall space for hanging stuff and placement of pallet racks and shelves.  Big, roll up doors are more practical than windows for my uses.
Caveman

Don P

No sun, no fun, I gotta have daylight.

alan gage

I've built two shops now and neither have had windows. I'm sure I'll build another someday and it's doubtful it will have windows either. My shop is single use and that's for working. I've never found any desire for looking out windows when working in the shop and am happy to be able to place tools and storage anywhere. Also, most of my real time spent in the shop is winter evenings when it's dark anyway.

I have given thought to windows high up and out of the way for some natural light but haven't been able to justify the expense. I put in plenty of lights so the shop is bright and evenly lit. Artificial light doesn't bother me.

I do put windows in my walk-in and overhead doors so I'm not completely boxed in. If the weather and bugs permit I do enjoy working with all the doors open. The dog and cat love being able to go in and out at will too. I think my biggest enjoyment from having the doors and windows open comes from being able to hear the birds more than the view, which is a nice one of the lake.

Alan
Timberking B-16, a few chainsaws from small to large, and a Bobcat 873 Skidloader.

SwampDonkey

Windows for me, in the entry door (south side), and on the western side of the shop. I like natural light on my wood lathe area. My wall facing the road is a wood area, to the north is behind the stove and wall storage. But yes, do not 'over do' the windows. ;)

Hopefully the shop will be going up this coming spring.
"No amount of belief makes something a fact." James Randi

1 Thessalonians 5:21

2020 Polaris Ranger 570 to forward firewood, Husqvarna 555 XT Pro, Stihl FS560 clearing saw and continuously thinning my ground, on the side. Grow them trees. (((o)))

RussMaGuss

When I built my garage I put in nine 32"x16" glass block panels starting at 6'8" high. Lets in a ton of natural light as long as the sun's out. 2 garage doors on the south side I leave open as long as it's not too hot or cold. This week has been brutal though, making me wish I put in a window unit AC in the spring..

Brad_bb

My old shop had 2 small windows that were kindof a pain to open and close and the shades were pulled down all the time so no one could look in.  That shop was winter heated, but not conditioned in summer. Never knew if it was dark out yet, had to open the man door to see.

New shop is fully conditioned, lots of windows.  More secure area, I'm not afraid of anyone looking in.  I'll be able to see someone approaching, I'll see the animals and good views.  Only problem is now the cat wants a catio.
Anything someone can design, I can sure figure out how to fix!
If I say it\\\\\\\'s going to take so long, multiply that by at least 3!

doc henderson

my shop grew and grew as I planned it.  34 x 84 with a 34 x 34 welding, greasy garage area.  window in a row in the 18 foot garage door and a window on the other 2 walls.  the other 50 x 34 is the wood shop,  the basement underneath has 4 windows in the half above ground area.  the up stairs woodshop has 4 window and a 6 foot French door facing the house.  and 2 windows on each of the other walls.  If Libby barks, I can peak out and see who is here.  It meets egress in the basement and other code for a habitable space.  could be converted when we sell it to have two homes.   also sky light in the wood shop area, and with scissor trussed ceilings, it add to the aesthetic.
Timber king 2000, 277c track loader, PJ 32 foot gooseneck, 1976 F700 state dump truck, JD 850 tractor.  2007 Chevy 3500HD dually, home built log splitter 18 horse 28 gpm with 5 inch cylinder and 32 inch split range with conveyor powered by a 12 volt tarp motor

flatrock58

I wanted windows for the natural light but didn't want to take up wall space or worry about break ins.  I have 4 windows up high on each end and one on the side.  Lots of light!  
2001 LT40 Super Kubota 42
6' extension
resaw attachment
CBN Sharpener
Cooks Dual Tooth Setter
Solar Kiln

DWyatt

Before reading this, I had never thought about windows up high in the wall. I have to have windows in my shop for some natural light, my mood feeds off of sunlight it seems. The new shop will now have windows high in the walls.

Crusarius

I was going to suggest windows over the doorways. Flatrock beat me to it.

It is really nice to see outside and know what the weather is doing. Especially if my work is about to take me outside.

windows in the garage door and man door are nice to.

caveman

Flatrock,
I love the board and batten with the metal down low to keep the pine (?) out of the splash zone.  That is a good looking building.  Our shop has two 10' roll up doors and one 12' roll up door.  I have considered adding a 4' 220v exhaust fan to get rid of heat and dust but have yet to install it.
Caveman

chet

Windows in my shop. I like dat warm cozy feeling I get working in my nice warm shop in winter, and seeing dat cold north wind blowin' da snow around.  :)
I am a true TREE HUGGER, if I didnt I would fall out!  chet the RETIRED arborist

RPF2509

Two windows 6' up on the south side.  The get buried in snow in the winter.  Gotta have some natural light and see some sky.  If I need more ventilation or more light, up goes the 12' roll door.

kantuckid

24x32 shop bldg has 7 double hung windows. 5 are really salvage aluminum storm windows, one thats mulled is a  wood window bought as new damaged. I originally had 6 skylights made of white fiberglass corrugated panels. The clear plastic skylight materials stuff hadn't been invented when I was building and the old ones went too dark and I shingled over them long ago.
Natural light is great for detail work.  
CL & Facebook marketplace are absolutely full of windows for sale. For my current cabin build I wanted wood windows not white vinyl as most are now days and bought 4 high end Pella wood windows from a window installer that he'd removed. 
In the past ten years wood windows have become a high end only type of window but lots of plastic ones sell as cheap surplus NOS. 
Kan=Kansas;tuck=Kentucky;kid=what I'm not

LaneC

I think it would depend on what your shop would be used for. From my research, if you are a serious Traditional Woodworker, there was much planning in the building to allow the proper sunlight for the hours spent in the building. If a regular all purpose shop and you do not have to worry about power outages then you probably do not have to worry about windows. In the end it will just be a personal preference.
Man makes plans and God smiles

Thank You Sponsors!