iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

How should I handle this?

Started by Bruno of NH, November 04, 2020, 12:14:13 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

WV Sawmiller

Yeah or tell him your cousin on the board says everything is fine. Or you might have asked him how they felt about him using ungraded lumber on his project.

I can tell you that you are being nicer than I would be. Once he started to threaten me all bets would be off.
Howard Green
WM LT35HDG25(2015) , 2011 4WD F150 Ford Lariat PU, Kawasaki 650 ATV, Stihl 440 Chainsaw, homemade logging arch (w/custom built rear log dolly), JD 750 w/4' wide Bushhog brand FEL

Dad always said "You can shear a sheep a bunch of times but you can only skin him once

Bruno of NH

2 of the board members are customers of mine.
Lt 40 wide with 38hp gas and command controls , F350 4x4 dump and lot of contracting tools

Bruno of NH

I called him today and asked who was going to eat this re cut of his lumber ?
Told him I get $100 an hour to run the edger with my helper.
We need to cut the banding , split the load , edger cut to 7.5 , sticker again and band up.
He said what!!!
I told him he could have his carpenter cut it down on the table saw , that could be cheaper.
Says oh no do it please it was my mistake.
I'm tired of doing stuff for free unless I chose who the recipient is.
This guys not one.
Tonight I gave (10) 1x8x8 to my friends son who worked some for me while on break from welding school.
He just got his first home and was doing some repairs.
He asked how much I said $0.00 my choice. That's the stuff I like to do.
Sorry for the rant
Lt 40 wide with 38hp gas and command controls , F350 4x4 dump and lot of contracting tools

SawyerTed

Gotta stand up for yourself then, if you choose, let the customer get the win.

I think you've waited it out and made your case without bending over backward.  You won't have a rouge out there badmouthing and you will be in the driver's seat.
Woodmizer LT50, WM BMS 250, WM BMT 250, Kubota MX5100, IH McCormick Farmall 140, Husqvarna 372XP, Husqvarna 455 Rancher

barbender

Bruno I'll do stuff like that too- I'm charitable at my discretion, not theirs.
Too many irons in the fire

teakwood

Quote from: WV Sawmiller on November 05, 2020, 12:27:54 PMI can tell you that you are being nicer than I would be. Once he started to threaten me all bets would be off.

X2 on that, Bruno you are way too nice. if people now you are a pushover they will take advantage over you
National Stihl Timbersports Champion Costa Rica 2018

WV Sawmiller

Quote from: mike_belben on November 04, 2020, 07:47:03 PM
Quote from: mike_belben on November 04, 2020, 07:47:03 PM
Easiest way to shed yourself of a turd is loan them a little bit of money that he wont pay back so you can be done with him forever.  This unpaid lumber order might be your golden ticket.  
Mike,
    I missed this earlier but I agree. I have a trashy 1st Cousin who used to live across the road from a buddy of mine and would come over and want to use his phone and such all the time. Finally my cousin asked him to borrow $20 and he loaned it to him and he never saw him again. My buddy said that was the best money he ever spent. 
Howard Green
WM LT35HDG25(2015) , 2011 4WD F150 Ford Lariat PU, Kawasaki 650 ATV, Stihl 440 Chainsaw, homemade logging arch (w/custom built rear log dolly), JD 750 w/4' wide Bushhog brand FEL

Dad always said "You can shear a sheep a bunch of times but you can only skin him once

mike_belben

What sucks is when they pay you back and think its establishing good credit for future requests.  Then you just have to man up and run them off. 

Sun tsu said 'Know your enemy and know yourself and you will not be imperiled in 100 battles.'Bruno is the only one who knows his own strengths and weaknesses in this unique situation, so he has to craft his own battle plan to win this one. 

I wouldnt give away too much on the internet.  My friend had stuff he posted on a 4wd forum read at his sentencing.  Served 2 years out of 7-15 so far for a non crime so it isnt a joke.  Be careful what you say and where you say it. 
Praise The Lord

barbender

Haha here's a story, you'll have to appreciate it from the vantage point of my Native American family. My Dad, very obviously Native, gets hit up for money wherever he goes (there's 2 Reservations close, we live on one and another close by) There will be Natives hitchhiking around fairly often, I will usually stop and give people rides. My experiences range from receiving a lot of gratitude and hand made infant moccasins for our newborn, to having a knife pulled on me or getting locked out of my truck after helping someone get gas and getting their rig going. Maybe I like the adventure? 😁 Anyhow, one night I stopped by to visit my Dad, he says, "yeah, I had someone show me a new Indian trick tonight". "Oh, what was that?" "Well, I was driving home from work and saw an Indian guy hitchhiking (my Dad would never call himself Native American, he's just Indian) so I thought, what the heck so I picked him up. He needed a ride to Ball Club (local village, out of his way) but again, what the heck. So he's really appreciative, and set $5 bill on the console for gas (this is out of the ordinary) So I brought him to Ball Club, he wanted dropped off at the store. So I pull in, and the guy turns to me and says, 'hey could I borrow a few bucks for cigarettes?' I just pointed to his $5 bill on the console, he took it and left"😂😂 He figured it was kind of a "trolling" operation, put in a $5 and maybe get a $10 or even a $20 back?😂
Too many irons in the fire

mike_belben

I was 17 or so washing dishes at a retirement home in south hadley mass.  I had signed up for the marines already and was headed home on a saturday probably when i pass a guy in full usmc cammies [not allow in public] headed west on 202 while im headed east to go home.  Curiousity got me so i bust a U turn and pick him up.  

He stinks like all get out.. Story was his home of record is alaska and just finished a deployment in like africa or an island duty or something idk.. But his large paycheck for a long stretch of duty just got sent accidentally to his home of record and he cant get ahold of family.. Hes got 30 days of leave and had gotten off a plane at logan in boston the night before.. Some sort of location snafu that isnt hard to believe with uncle same.. He had the airport tag.  Covered about 90 miles or so in one night so he wasnt playing. Was gonna thumb up through canada in like november without cold weather gear. I was scared FOR him.  He had no cash or food or jacket and didnt want any.  I drove him to holyoke and he just pointed to a restaraunt and said drop me off there ill do some dishes or something for a sandwich.   Wasnt phased at all, i got 30 days and nothing else to do, im not gonna sit here and cry, ill hike across the country this month.. No big deal.

I was like yeah i wanna be that capable and self reliant.  Hope he made it.  Semper Fi Marine.
Praise The Lord

Brad_bb

I'm glad Bruno stood up and handled it right. Takes away some of the frustration we were feeling for you. I've been in that same position and it is darn frustrating.  A lesson for us all.
Anything someone can design, I can sure figure out how to fix!
If I say it\\\\\\\'s going to take so long, multiply that by at least 3!

WV Sawmiller

Mike,

Thanks for being a nice guy but you know the guy was lying. He might have been UA or a deserter. Too easy to see his CO or First Sgt and they'd have got him on a Space A flight or Navy Relief or USO would have gotten him a ticket. They'd have routed him to any military disbursing office and gotten him an emergency advance pay if needed. I'm not saying the military doesn't get things fouled up (They thought my cousin Priscilla was a Purcival and sent her to Quantico instead of Cherry point. Quantico had no facilities for WMs at the time. But they fixed it all in short order.) and they will fix it. The fastest way for any young officer or Senior Staff NCO to limit their career is leave a young trooper/Marine/Sailor in a lurch.
Howard Green

Bruno of NH

I edged the 2x8x12 today and delivered them by skid loader.
Placed one foot next to the cut station.
Charged him $80 extra , should have been a $100.
He didn't say a word.

woodyone.john

Bruno,sounds like after your recent tribulations your moving on up.
Saw millers are just carpenters with bigger bits of wood

Andries

Quote from: Bruno of NH on November 07, 2020, 02:50:41 PM. . .  He didn't say a word.
That says it all Bruno, well done.
• He now knows that he can't threaten you with zoning or business code crap.
• He now knows that he can't pull cheap shots to cover his mistakes.
• He now knows that you'll deliver the goods and he pays the quoted price. 
• He now knows not to expect a free ride from you . . with a guy like him, that's a close you can expect to getting some respect. 👍
LT40G25
Ford 545D loader
Stihl chainsaws

YellowHammer

Yep, good job.  You handled it well.  
YellowHammerisms:

Take steps to save steps.

If it won't roll, its not a log; it's still a tree.  Sawmills cut logs, not trees.

Kiln drying wood: When the cookies are burned, they're burned, and you can't fix them.

Sawing is fun for the first couple million boards.

Be smarter than the sawdust

cutterboy

Bruno, you were put into a difficult situation and you handled it well. Good for you.
To underestimate old men and old machines is the folly of youth. Frank C.

SawyerTed

Woodmizer LT50, WM BMS 250, WM BMT 250, Kubota MX5100, IH McCormick Farmall 140, Husqvarna 372XP, Husqvarna 455 Rancher

teakwood

National Stihl Timbersports Champion Costa Rica 2018

Bruno of NH

Thank You Sponsors!