iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

Reclaiming Blades

Started by Stephen1, February 01, 2021, 02:54:04 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Stephen1

I have about 25 Damaged blades, nail strikes and such.
It's cold as all heck here .
I decide  to see if It is worth reclaiming theses blades.
I have 1/14 double hard and Bimetal.
I have the BMS250 .
1st thing I did was call WM Canada to se if they have a supply of 7/39 CBN grinding wheels in stock. Yes 3 in stock. Great. I didn't want to start grinding , find out I ruined the wheel and they didn't have more wheels in country.
I am 8 blades into this project, 16 more to go, so far it is working great. Each blade has gone around 6-7 times. The cbn grinding wheel still looks the same and is doing a great job.
At $65 a blade landed in my shop it is worth it. I am $480! Bonus.
Especially since I am locked in and cleaning the shop anyways, put a blade on, putter, clean up, send it around again, again, again,
It definitely is not worth doing during sawing season though.  
S
IDRY Vacum Kiln, LT40HDWide, BMS250 sharpener/setter 742b Bobcat, TCM forklift, Sthil 026,038, 461. 1952 TEA Fergusan Tractor

donbj

Absolutely worth doing if there is life left in the blades. If you're in the shop with other things to do, no reason that sharpener can't be workin away in the corner. I've run nail strike blades that were on the new side up to 5 times around with my old drag sharpener. It just spins away while I go about other things. Usually wait til I have 15-20 blades to sharpen before I set up though. I'm in hobby mode with my mill so only do it a few times a year. 
I may be skinny but I'm a Husky guy

Woodmizer LT40HDG24. John Deere 5300 4WD with Loader/Forks. Husky 262xp. Jonsered 2065, Husky 65, Husky 44, Husky 181XP, Husky 2100CD, Husky 185CD

terrifictimbersllc

The problem comes when Im tired of puttering around and start waiting for each go-round.  

Then I realize how boring it is and "why am I saving this blade when the customer already paid for it?"

Really have to be doing something else worthwhile to make saving metal strike blades worthwhile. 
DJ Hoover, Terrific Timbers LLC,  Mystic CT Woodmizer Million Board Foot Club member. 2019 LT70 Super Wide 55 Yanmar,  LogRite fetching arch, WM BMS250 sharpener/BMT250 setter.  2001 F350 7.3L PSD 6 spd manual ZF 4x4 Crew Cab Long Bed

Magicman

How many do you want me to send you??  All of my nail strike blades are paid for by the customer and go into the pile of damaged blades.  I am sure that there are a couple hundred.  I was thinking that if I ever pour any concrete, they would serve as my reinforcement.
Knothole Sawmill, LLC     '98 Wood-Mizer LT40SuperHydraulic   WM Million BF Club Member   WM Pro Sawyer Network

It's Weird being the Same Age as Old People

Never allow your "need" to make money to exceed your "desire" to provide quality service.....The Magicman

SawyerTed

I started out doing the same thing and resurrected some pretty bad blades.  Then I started figuring my time and materials on "paid for blades".  Now I separate them. If it's a smaller nail or fence wire, I'll resharpen it.  If the blade hits a screw, bolt or larger nail, it goes in the scrap recycle pile.  
Woodmizer LT50, WM BMS 250, WM BMT 250, Kubota MX5100, IH McCormick Farmall 140, Husqvarna 372XP, Husqvarna 455 Rancher

terrifictimbersllc

I recover blades if I think they'll take 4 or less go-rounds.  
DJ Hoover, Terrific Timbers LLC,  Mystic CT Woodmizer Million Board Foot Club member. 2019 LT70 Super Wide 55 Yanmar,  LogRite fetching arch, WM BMS250 sharpener/BMT250 setter.  2001 F350 7.3L PSD 6 spd manual ZF 4x4 Crew Cab Long Bed

barbender

My only issue with the customer paying for it, is that I am the customer😁
Too many irons in the fire

trimguy

I was wondering if this was realistic, I just got a sharpener and have some in pretty bad shape. I am also " my customer ".

Stephen1

These are my nail hit blades, so being over the age of 60 , it just hurts to throw them out. 
When I hit a nail at the customers, I break the blade, charge them $65, and 'try to leave/forget it at the customers'  ::)
I used to really hate sharpening/setting but since I got rid of the drag sharpener, and figured out the BMS 250 series, Sharpener and the setter, I do not mind it anymore. 
IDRY Vacum Kiln, LT40HDWide, BMS250 sharpener/setter 742b Bobcat, TCM forklift, Sthil 026,038, 461. 1952 TEA Fergusan Tractor

donbj

Quote from: Magicman on February 01, 2021, 04:03:08 PM
How many do you want me to send you??  All of my nail strike blades are paid for by the customer and go into the pile of damaged blades.  I am sure that there are a couple hundred.  I was thinking that if I ever pour any concrete, they would serve as my reinforcement.
If I was closer I'd rummage through em! I do get your MO regarding it though for sure. Different topic, did you ever get a chance to try those 1.5"

Woodmizer LT40HDG24. John Deere 5300 4WD with Loader/Forks. Husky 262xp. Jonsered 2065, Husky 65, Husky 44, Husky 181XP, Husky 2100CD, Husky 185CD

Stephen1

Quote from: trimguy on February 01, 2021, 08:30:41 PM
I was wondering if this was realistic, I just got a sharpener and have some in pretty bad shape. I am also " my customer ".
I threw out the pretty bad shape blades. If they were missing more than an 1/8" , throw them. Also any blades that had teeth bent sideways.

Brad_bb

What are you doing about set?  Sometimes a nail strike will significantly alter set on some teeth.  I've sent nail strike bands in to resharp and sometimes they'll come back sharp, but can't be used due to set issue.  So now I'll save nailstrike bands and only send back those that have had minor strikes.
Anything someone can design, I can sure figure out how to fix!
If I say it\\\\\\\'s going to take so long, multiply that by at least 3!

donbj

I set all blades every time they are sharpened, nail hit or not. Quality of lumber makes it worthwhile to me.

Magicman

Quote from: donbj on February 01, 2021, 10:21:54 PMDifferent topic, did you ever get a chance to try those 1.5"
Nope, they are still in the box unopened.  :-X  

Just been too busy doing what I am busy doing.  ;D
Knothole Sawmill, LLC     '98 Wood-Mizer LT40SuperHydraulic   WM Million BF Club Member   WM Pro Sawyer Network

It's Weird being the Same Age as Old People

Never allow your "need" to make money to exceed your "desire" to provide quality service.....The Magicman

trimguy

Quote from: Stephen1 on February 01, 2021, 10:45:46 PM
Quote from: trimguy on February 01, 2021, 08:30:41 PM
I threw out the pretty bad shape blades. If they were missing more than an 1/8" , throw them. Also any blades that had teeth bent sideways.
Thanks , that gives me a starting point to work from.

mike_belben

Praise The Lord

Stephen1

Quote from: Brad_bb on February 02, 2021, 12:22:23 AM
What are you doing about set?  Sometimes a nail strike will significantly alter set on some teeth.  I've sent nail strike bands in to resharp and sometimes they'll come back sharp, but can't be used due to set issue.  So now I'll save nailstrike bands and only send back those that have had minor strikes.
BB those are the ones I am throwing out. Teeth that are bent, I run through my fingers, you can feel the bad set teeth, I break them. It makes no sense to try and fix the set when they are that bent. I've tried and it didnt work unless you want real 'rough cut lumber'. 

pineywoods

My experience reclaiming blades...I made a deal with another sawyer for 50+ used blades, mostly just dull, some with metal strikes, various types. Use that as an excuse to buy a 10 degree carbide wheel and adapt it to my old wm drag sharpener. Worked fine, but found out the hard way that those expensive grinder wheels WILL wear out, especially if you are doing a bunch of blade re-profiling and  damage fixing. considering the cost of the wheel versus number of blades recovered, not worthwhile. Phase 2.. Building on experience from phase 1, I re-profiled an old unused cam for the grinder to work with  wheels from a 5 inch hand-held grinder (cheap in bulk quantities ). The wm drag sharpener is flexible enough that by tweaking adjustments and making multiple passes, I can profile a blade to just about any profile at a minimum cost in wheels. But that's a subject for another post (later) 
1995 Wood Mizer LT 40, Liquid cooled kawasaki,homebuilt hydraulics. Homebuilt solar dry kiln.  Woodmaster 718 planner, Kubota M4700 with homemade forks and winch, stihl  028, 029, Ms390
100k bd ft club.Charter member of The Grumpy old Men

Stephen1

I agree Piney, I did some reprofiling when I 1st got the sharpener and bare spotted a CBN wheel. I would not reprofile with CBN again.  
These are only missing  tips of teeth, nothing out of the ordinary, send it around and around until the points are sharp. 
At $65 a blade a few rounds around the sharpen has been worth it. 
I sawed some frozen EWP today and they did a great job. 

Thank You Sponsors!