iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

Bone Chillin'/Tooth Chatterin'....

Started by Magicman, February 01, 2021, 03:49:06 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Magicman

We had much better weather today.

Almost a foot of sunshine.  8)
Knothole Sawmill, LLC     '98 Wood-Mizer LT40SuperHydraulic   WM Million BF Club Member   WM Pro Sawyer Network

It's Weird being the Same Age as Old People

Never allow your "need" to make money to exceed your "desire" to provide quality service.....The Magicman

Old Greenhorn

Glad to here you survived the Glacial period Lynn. Up here I measure our winter sunshine in minutes (not hours), we use a different scale. We had 53 minutes of sunshine today. 8)
Tom Lindtveit, Woodsman Forest Products
Oscar 328 Band Mill, Husky 350, 450, 562, & 372 (Clone), Mule 3010, and too many hand tools. :) Retired and trying to make a living to stay that way. NYLT Certified.
OK, maybe I'm the woodcutter now.
I work with wood, There is a rumor I might be a woodworker.

Andries

I've been waiting for the water bottle in my truck to thaw out since late October.

Just might hafta wait 'til April to get a drink.
LT40G25
Ford 545D loader
Stihl chainsaws

Old Greenhorn

Quote from: Andries on February 03, 2021, 09:55:09 PM
I've been waiting for the water bottle in my truck to thaw out since late October.

Just might hafta wait 'til April to get a drink.
Yeah, I got a couple of those in the back seat of the truck too, grabbed one today without thinking and didn't get much out of it. :D Guess I just gotta be patient.
Oscar 328 Band Mill, Husky 350, 450, 562, & 372 (Clone), Mule 3010, and too many hand tools. :) Retired and trying to make a living to stay that way. NYLT Certified.

hedgerow

It was 48 here yesterday still have snow cover. 21 this AM and sounds like we are headed to below zero and single digit highs starting Sat or Sun and threw next week. Time to stay close to the house shop and Garn and feeding that hedge. Sounds like everyone is going to get a taste of some cold next week. Everyone stay safe. 

Magicman

By the end of next week we will be down into the low 20°'s.  My firewood stash needed replenishing a bit so this morning I was off to the Cabin with my trailer.

My firewood is bucked to length and most of it was under the shed.  Some loss due to moisture and termites, but the majority is solid.

That should be enough to finish this year and make half of next year.

Yup, that will be enough to finish this year for sure.  :)  OK cold, bring it on!!  ;D
Knothole Sawmill, LLC     '98 Wood-Mizer LT40SuperHydraulic   WM Million BF Club Member   WM Pro Sawyer Network

Never allow your "need" to make money to exceed your "desire" to provide quality service.....The Magicman

Old Greenhorn

Lynn, you are just killing me. That 'load' you've got there would last me about 2 days. Here is a photo of my shop wood pile shortly before I finished it. It is 3 rows deep and comes to about 5 cord.

I have another pile, same size, for the house. I am concerned that my 10 cord total may not last through the winter season.
 Yes, I know you are poking our buttons up here in the glaciated north, but keep in mind we might get even at some point (likely in July or August). We don't really have an issue with sustained cold temps, it's part of life here, but it does makes things a little more challenging. It keeps us young (or kills us off early, I forget which). ;D :D

Magicman

Quote from: Old Greenhorn on February 04, 2021, 06:01:58 PMLynn, you are just killing me. That 'load' you've got there would last me about 2 days.
Whatdoyoumean?? ???  That is a 10' trailer with 14" sides, plus those two rows are full except for the tail end.  That's a buncha firewood that took me almost an hour to split.  ;D

You Glaciated Guys just don't know the misery that us Southern Rednecks have to endure.  The Weather Liar is even forecasting possible snow flurries next weekend.  :o

I remember back in 2017 it snowed so much that I even made a snowman on the deck. 8)

SwampDonkey

Well, I've still got over 5 cord left for this winter, been burn'n since September, and 6 more on standby for next year. Hope'n I don't need to cut more until this fall for fall of 2022. 30F is not the same at -30F, but still takes wood or a big stack of blankets. ;D :D
"No amount of belief makes something a fact." James Randi

1 Thessalonians 5:21

2020 Polaris Ranger 570 to forward firewood, Husqvarna 555 XT Pro, Stihl FS560 clearing saw and continuously thinning my ground, on the side. Grow them trees. (((o)))

Spike60

"Almost a foot of sunshine" absolutely broke me up. And is that a green lawn I see there? Probably only a couple weeks from mowing down there. Be a couple MONTHS before we even see grass up this way.  :laugh:

The past month has been more gray than sun around here. Some sunny periods, but seems like a long time since we actually had a real sunny da
Husqvarna-Jonsered
Ashokan Turf and Timber
845-657-6395

cutterboy

"A FOOT OF SUNSHINE"  :D :D :D :D :D

3-7 more inches forecast here for tomorrow. That's snow, not sunshine. :-[
To underestimate old men and old machines is the folly of youth. Frank C.

Tacotodd

Down here (central AR) it doesn't seem as cold if there is ANY snow. Without it the humidity seems unbearably cold.

I'll get off of my stump now!
Trying harder everyday.

Magicman

72° the past couple of days but I loaded the insert up today.  Our forecast is for steadily dropping temperatures to a low of 18° Tuesday morning.  The sawmill is Winterized and I won't be doing anything but feeding the fire.

GAB

Quote from: Magicman on February 10, 2021, 07:54:39 PM
72° the past couple of days but I loaded the insert up today.  Our forecast is for steadily dropping temperatures to a low of 18° Tuesday morning.  The sawmill is Winterized and I won't be doing anything but feeding the fire.
MM in anticipation of 18°F temps Id be bringing in the lube jug and running 10 ounces of RV antifreeze through the pump.  At that temp you may be in need of a new lube pump.
GAB
W-M LT40HDD34, SLR, JD 420, JD 950w/loader and Woods backhoe, V3507 Fransguard winch, Cordwood Saw, 18' flat bed trailer, and other toys.

Magicman

My lube jug contains -20° WW fluid & spindle cleaner, and I purged both pumps and lines with -100° RV antifreeze.  I believe that I will be OK.   ;)

GAB

Quote from: Magicman on February 10, 2021, 09:16:12 PM
My lube jug contains -20° WW fluid & spindle cleaner, and I purged both pumps and lines with -100° RV antifreeze.  I believe that I will be OK.   ;)
Not being a chemist I have no idea what spindle cleaner does to the temperature rating of WW fluid.
Running RV antifreeze through the pump and lines has been good protection for me up here in the (per WDH) glaciated north.
Keep roasting those termites as you stay warm.
GAB
W-M LT40HDD34, SLR, JD 420, JD 950w/loader and Woods backhoe, V3507 Fransguard winch, Cordwood Saw, 18' flat bed trailer, and other toys.

Rebarb

This has been a colder winter for most folks in comparison to the last couple. 

Burned 6 cords last winter and already 6 1/2 this winter and that's seasoned Oak.
Been loading the boiler every 12 hours. 

I honestly don't know how some of ya'll do it up north with some of the temps I see posted. 
Our coldest night here in western VA this winter was 18*.

Magicman

I am happy to have a flicker in the insert.  fire_smiley  It's a 33° cold rain outside and I am inside.  

Hilltop366

It has been a mild winter here with Mondays snow being the first one that has stayed any length of time, very little frost in the ground and it all came out last week, this week has been the first week to stay below freezing this winter that I can think of.

I don't really keep track but would guess that I have burnt 1 cord of softwood and 2 of hardwood, mostly soft maple and yellow birch. (indoor wood boiler)

cutterboy

Isn't it funny. Nova Scotia is having a mild winter and right next door in New England (at least where I am in central Massachusetts) we are in a deep freeze. This winter is colder than the last few for sure.
To underestimate old men and old machines is the folly of youth. Frank C.

Edvantage

Winter came late here in the U.P. It's making up for it now. -18 last night and around 40" of snow this month. My only heat is a small lopi woodstove and I'm down to burning hemlock slabs. House stays close to 70 even without adding wood during the night. Might go cut and split a couple of dead standing maples  today if it gets at least up to zero.

Hilltop366

Quote from: cutterboy on February 13, 2021, 07:56:20 AM
Isn't it funny. Nova Scotia is having a mild winter and right next door in New England (at least where I am in central Massachusetts) we are in a deep freeze. This winter is colder than the last few for sure.
I'm just a few miles from the coast (I can see the bay of fundy if I stand on my roof) so our weather is often warmed up a bit by the time it comes here. It is not uncommon to get your weather here or similar a day later. In land or further north from me in Nova Scotia is usually colder in the winter than here.

Nodak Andy

Yesterday morning on the way to work at 0500 it was -31F air temp and -45F windchill..... This morning felt like a heat wave at a balmy -24F on the way to work....  just a couple hours northeast of us at the Lake Metigoshe state park the actual air temp got down to -59.6F 2 nights ago.

Magicman

We have rain/sleet mix and 28°.  I just put another stick of wood in the fireplace insert and made another cup of coffee.

Our Church Services will be live on Facebook today.

trapper

-6 degrees and going to church no problem.
stihl ms241cm ms261cm  echo 310 400 suzuki  log arch made by stepson several logrite tools woodmizer LT30

Thank You Sponsors!