The Forestry Forum is sponsored in part by:

iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Forestry Forum
Sponsored by:

TimberKing Sawmills

Toll Free 1-800-582-0470

LogRite Tools

Norwood Industries Inc.

Your source for Portable Sawmills, Edgers, Resaws, Sharpeners, Setters, Bandsaw Blades and Sawmill Parts

EZ Boardwalk Sawmills. More Saw For Less Money!

STIHLDealers.com sponsored by Northeast STIHL

Woodland Sawmills

Peterson Swingmills

KASCO SharpTech WoodMaxx Blades

Turbosawmill

Sawmill Exchange

Michigan Firewood, your BRUTE FORCE Authorized Dealer

Baker Products

ECHO-Bearcat

iDRY Wood Lumber Vacuum Drying for everyon

Nyle Kiln Dry Systems

Chainsawr, The Worlds Largest Inventory of Chainsaw Parts

Smith Sawmill Service

Author Topic: Bone Chillin'/Tooth Chatterin'....  (Read 2456 times)

Offline GAB

• Senior Member x2
    • Share Post
Re: Bone Chillin'/Tooth Chatterin'....
« Reply #40 on: February 10, 2021, 09:40:25 PM »
My lube jug contains -20 WW fluid & spindle cleaner, and I purged both pumps and lines with -100 RV antifreeze.  I believe that I will be OK.   ;)
Not being a chemist I have no idea what spindle cleaner does to the temperature rating of WW fluid.
Running RV antifreeze through the pump and lines has been good protection for me up here in the (per WDH) glaciated north.
Keep roasting those termites as you stay warm.
GAB
W-M LT40HDD34 w/6' ext & SLR, JD 420, JD 950w/loader and Woods backhoe, V3507 Fransguard winch, Cordwood Saw, 18' flat bed trailer, and other toys.

Offline Rebarb

• I'm new!
    • Share Post
« Reply #41 on: February 12, 2021, 09:23:58 AM »
This has been a colder winter for most folks in comparison to the last couple. 

Burned 6 cords last winter and already 6 1/2 this winter and that's seasoned Oak.
Been loading the boiler every 12 hours. 

I honestly don't know how some of ya'll do it up north with some of the temps I see posted. 
Our coldest night here in western VA this winter was 18*.

Offline Magicman

• Senior Member x2
  • A "Traveling Man"
    • Share Post
    • Knothole Sawmill
« Reply #42 on: February 12, 2021, 09:34:00 AM »
I am happy to have a flicker in the insert.  fire_smiley  It's a 33 cold rain outside and I am inside.  
Knothole Sawmill, LLC     '98 Wood-Mizer LT40SuperHydraulic   WM Million BF Club Member   WM Pro Sawyer Network

Never allow your "need" to make money to exceed your "desire" to provide quality service.....The Magicman

Offline Hilltop366

• Senior Member x2
    • Share Post
« Reply #43 on: February 12, 2021, 09:34:58 AM »
It has been a mild winter here with Mondays snow being the first one that has stayed any length of time, very little frost in the ground and it all came out last week, this week has been the first week to stay below freezing this winter that I can think of.

I don't really keep track but would guess that I have burnt 1 cord of softwood and 2 of hardwood, mostly soft maple and yellow birch. (indoor wood boiler)

Offline cutterboy

• Senior Member x2
  • Sometimes trees fall where they want to.
    • Share Post
« Reply #44 on: February 13, 2021, 07:56:20 AM »
Isn't it funny. Nova Scotia is having a mild winter and right next door in New England (at least where I am in central Massachusetts) we are in a deep freeze. This winter is colder than the last few for sure.

Offline Edvantage

• Full Member x2
  • I'm new!
    • Share Post
« Reply #45 on: February 13, 2021, 08:58:51 AM »
Winter came late here in the U.P. It's making up for it now. -18 last night and around 40" of snow this month. My only heat is a small lopi woodstove and I'm down to burning hemlock slabs. House stays close to 70 even without adding wood during the night. Might go cut and split a couple of dead standing maples  today if it gets at least up to zero.

Offline Hilltop366

• Senior Member x2
    • Share Post
« Reply #46 on: February 13, 2021, 09:09:20 AM »
Isn't it funny. Nova Scotia is having a mild winter and right next door in New England (at least where I am in central Massachusetts) we are in a deep freeze. This winter is colder than the last few for sure.
I'm just a few miles from the coast (I can see the bay of fundy if I stand on my roof) so our weather is often warmed up a bit by the time it comes here. It is not uncommon to get your weather here or similar a day later. In land or further north from me in Nova Scotia is usually colder in the winter than here.

Offline Nodak Andy

• ya sure you betcha
    • Share Post
« Reply #47 on: February 14, 2021, 08:17:33 AM »
Yesterday morning on the way to work at 0500 it was -31F air temp and -45F windchill..... This morning felt like a heat wave at a balmy -24F on the way to work....  just a couple hours northeast of us at the Lake Metigoshe state park the actual air temp got down to -59.6F 2 nights ago.

Offline Magicman

• Senior Member x2
  • A "Traveling Man"
    • Share Post
    • Knothole Sawmill
« Reply #48 on: February 14, 2021, 10:24:37 AM »
We have rain/sleet mix and 28.  I just put another stick of wood in the fireplace insert and made another cup of coffee.

Our Church Services will be live on Facebook today.
Knothole Sawmill, LLC     '98 Wood-Mizer LT40SuperHydraulic   WM Million BF Club Member   WM Pro Sawyer Network

Never allow your "need" to make money to exceed your "desire" to provide quality service.....The Magicman

Offline trapper

• Senior Member x2
  • I'm new!
    • Share Post
« Reply #49 on: February 14, 2021, 01:01:57 PM »
-6 degrees and going to church no problem.
stihl ms241cm ms261cm  echo 310 400 suzuki  log arch made by stepson several logrite tools woodmizer LT30

Offline Nebraska

• Senior Member x2
  • Lurked for quite a while, learning !
    • Share Post
« Reply #50 on: February 14, 2021, 07:50:20 PM »
-59 is real, I've done -43  at a Lake of the woods Ice fishing camp,  not far away it hit -53. They had us wait a day they were worried the propane would quit flowing out on the ice for the fish houses.  We will get to -20 overnight here. Fire is burning.  

Offline GAB

• Senior Member x2
    • Share Post
« Reply #51 on: February 14, 2021, 07:59:40 PM »
-59 is real, I've done -43  at a Lake of the woods Ice fishing camp,  not far away it hit -53. They had us wait a day they were worried the propane would quit flowing out on the ice for the fish houses.  We will get to -20 overnight here. Fire is burning.  
In January of '76 while in Seba Beach Alberta the word was one morning that the propane was froze in the tanks in some areas.  The following week there was a chinook and it was mud in the work area.
GAB
W-M LT40HDD34 w/6' ext & SLR, JD 420, JD 950w/loader and Woods backhoe, V3507 Fransguard winch, Cordwood Saw, 18' flat bed trailer, and other toys.

Offline Magicman

• Senior Member x2
  • A "Traveling Man"
    • Share Post
    • Knothole Sawmill
« Reply #52 on: February 15, 2021, 11:34:17 AM »
Our radar is showing that the precipitation has passed us leaving about 1 1/2" of sleet. We are at 24 degrees and a falling temperature forecast to be about 12 degrees in the morning.

The Plumbers will be full speed ahead tomorrow replacing burst water pipes.

Offline sublime68charger

• I'm new!
    • Share Post
« Reply #53 on: February 15, 2021, 12:01:44 PM »
Minus 22 this morning and the wood boiler still have 1/3 of the firebox with wood and I have filled the firebox last night at 5pm and at 7am happy with that.  be able to make it threw the night and still have heat left in the system and able to refill and not have to be worried for the day.

Also house is at 72 degrees!  My workshop is at 60!  

my first year on the boiler and its getting a workout for sure!

Offline Magicman

• Senior Member x2
  • A "Traveling Man"
    • Share Post
    • Knothole Sawmill
« Reply #54 on: February 18, 2021, 01:09:08 PM »
We are at 31 and no power due to the many frozen rain coated SYP limbs that fell during last evening & nights weather.  SYP limbs are not designed to hold the weight and snap off.  It was a devastating event and there are many roads closed and many thousands of folks without power.  They are reporting that 30% of our county is without power and 60% of the county where my property and Cabin is.

Here is part of what is in my front yard and that ain't snow, it's ice.  I am thankful that I made that last firewood haul from the Cabin because the fireplace insert is our only heat.  ;)

Offline WDH

• Forester
  • Administrator
  • April 1998 - August 2008
    • Share Post
    • hamsleyhardwood.com
« Reply #55 on: February 18, 2021, 10:04:19 PM »
DanG!
Woodmizer LT40HDD35, John Deere 2155, Kubota M5-111, Nyle L53 Dehumidification Kiln, and a passion for all things with leafs, twigs, and bark.  hamsleyhardwood.com

Offline Logger RK

• Share Post
« Reply #56 on: February 19, 2021, 06:21:39 AM »
The other day it went down to -50 on My Hoopdee thermomator. Had the same one in it a few years & thats the coldest IV seen it. I went to plug it in & it was -49,went back to see if it hit -50. It was & I took 2 pic,first one -50 the second went back up to -49 & went up from there

Offline cutterboy

• Senior Member x2
  • Sometimes trees fall where they want to.
    • Share Post
« Reply #57 on: February 19, 2021, 06:50:20 AM »
I feel for you Magicman. Ice storms are the very worst winter weather. We had a bad one up here in December of 08. No power for a week.
Good thing you have your insert Magic, I hope your wood supply holds out. Best of luck to you.

Offline WDH

• Forester
  • Administrator
  • April 1998 - August 2008
    • Share Post
    • hamsleyhardwood.com
« Reply #58 on: February 19, 2021, 07:23:05 AM »
You could probably get by with burning SYP limbs in your insert.  You should have a few  :).
Woodmizer LT40HDD35, John Deere 2155, Kubota M5-111, Nyle L53 Dehumidification Kiln, and a passion for all things with leafs, twigs, and bark.  hamsleyhardwood.com

Offline GAB

• Senior Member x2
    • Share Post
« Reply #59 on: February 19, 2021, 11:32:16 AM »
Danny @WDH tell us about your glaciated southern experience.
Are you in the plumbing business today?
Gerald

Share via delicious Share via digg Share via facebook Share via linkedin Share via pinterest Share via reddit Share via stumble Share via tumblr Share via twitter

xx
Dry as a bone

Started by GeneWengert-WoodDoc on Drying and Processing

3 Replies
Last post May 14, 2018, 09:28:38 AM
by Percy
xx
First you start with a ham bone

Started by Raider Bill on FOOD! FOOD! FOOD!

18 Replies
Last post April 04, 2011, 10:21:18 PM
by rambo
xx
Well I finally broke a bone

Started by killamplanes on Forestry and Logging

19 Replies
Last post March 22, 2017, 07:32:38 AM
by Don P
xx
Bone marrow test!

Started by Papa1stuff on General Board