The Forestry Forum is sponsored in part by:

iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Forestry Forum
Sponsored by:

TimberKing Sawmills

Toll Free 1-800-582-0470

LogRite Tools

Norwood Industries Inc.

Your source for Portable Sawmills, Edgers, Resaws, Sharpeners, Setters, Bandsaw Blades and Sawmill Parts

EZ Boardwalk Sawmills. More Saw For Less Money!

STIHLDealers.com sponsored by Northeast STIHL

Woodland Sawmills

Peterson Swingmills

KASCO SharpTech WoodMaxx Blades

Turbosawmill

Sawmill Exchange

Michigan Firewood, your BRUTE FORCE Authorized Dealer

Baker Products

ECHO-Bearcat

iDRY Wood Lumber Vacuum Drying for everyon

Nyle Kiln Dry Systems

Chainsawr, The Worlds Largest Inventory of Chainsaw Parts

Smith Sawmill Service

Author Topic: Clamping a live edge glue up.  (Read 1000 times)

Online btulloh

• Senior Member x2
  • I never met an air conditioner I didn't like
    • Share Post
Re: Clamping a live edge glue up.
« Reply #20 on: February 16, 2021, 09:38:46 PM »
I stopped putting glue on the biscuits for that reason. They swell. Can also cause a surface swell. If you sand the surface before all the moisture is gone, there will be a slight depression after a couple weeks when the swell shrinks down as the wood in that area reaches emc. Since itís a long grain to long grain joint, thereís plenty of strength anyway and the biscuits are only needed to keep the joint aligned when clamps are applied. BTW, this swelling occurs along the glue line as well. It pays to wait before leveling the surface or you will probably get a depression along the glue line. 

Offline doc henderson

• Senior Member x2
  • Evil Prevails when Good Men Standby and Do Nothing
    • Share Post
« Reply #21 on: February 16, 2021, 09:45:56 PM »
you can also put a desiccant pack in the container and keep it closed, or put them in a dehydrator and then store them if the gain moisture.  just like the ones for a gun safe, they can be recharged in the oven.  I get ones from like shoe boxes ect. and other packaging.
timberking B 2000, 277c track loader, PJ 32 foot gooseneck, 1976 F700 state dump truck, JD 850 tractor.  2007 Chevy 3500HD dually, home built log splitter 18 horse 28 gpm with 5 inch cylinder and 32 inch split range with conveyor 12 volt tarp motor

Offline DonW

• Full Member x2
    • Share Post
« Reply #22 on: February 18, 2021, 08:14:14 PM »
My suggestion depends on your dimensions to a degree. I think you can rule out bar clamps. The one time I've glued up live-edge stuff I clamped one side firmly to the workbench top small face down laid up the mating plank and place a sufficient caul loosely parallel and clamp that down tight. In between the caul and free plank you can set a series of opposing wedges spaced so you get glue squeezing out along the whole joint. 
Hjartum yxa, nothing less than breitbeil/bandhacke combo.

Offline Nebraska

• Senior Member x2
  • Lurked for quite a while, learning !
    • Share Post
« Reply #23 on: February 18, 2021, 11:47:10 PM »
I like the wedge suggestion  good way to do that..  I hope to have a wood shop with a work bench for nice projects, My small shop has two, neither fit for wood projects. Plus I have  to keep the work truck in there heated, it is bad if it freezes so no room this time of year.

Offline alan gage

• Senior Member x2
    • Share Post
« Reply #24 on: February 19, 2021, 03:04:32 PM »
The joint wasn't as nice as I wanted it but I am contemplating working a little dust from the sander into some thinned epoxy and working into the joint with a syringe to camoflauge it a little.

I think thinning the epoxy will be unnecessary because when you add the sawdust for coloring it will thicken the epoxy to stiffer than when you started. But that's not a bad thing. For filling holes and cracks I much prefer thickened epoxy about the consistency of peanut butter. It's much easier to apply and it doesn't find a crack to run out on the bottom side. Just work it in with a piece of wood or plastic squeegee and leave it slightly proud for sanding once cured. If you catch the epoxy while it's still green you can shave most of the excess off with a sharp chisel to save yourself a little sanding.

Alan
Timberking B-16, a few chainsaws from small to large, and a Bobcat 873 Skidloader.

Offline Nebraska

• Senior Member x2
  • Lurked for quite a while, learning !
    • Share Post
« Reply #25 on: February 19, 2021, 03:38:59 PM »
Thanks Alan 
..I won't thin it first, I will find a little plastic putty knife to push it around with and work it in the gap. Weather is finally breaking maybe Sunday  it will be warm enough to try it. 

Share via delicious Share via digg Share via facebook Share via linkedin Share via pinterest Share via reddit Share via stumble Share via tumblr Share via twitter

xx
???How much to charge for live edge live oak and cedar????

Started by caveman on Sawmills and Milling

21 Replies
Last post May 06, 2021, 07:25:54 AM
by WDH
xx
Live edge SYP

Started by kelLOGg on Drying and Processing

3 Replies
Last post November 26, 2020, 06:15:03 AM
by kelLOGg
xx
Live edge ash...