iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

wood wall

Started by doc henderson, February 24, 2021, 03:28:16 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

doc henderson

thought I would get some input.  my wife has consulted Pinterest and getting ideas with store bought rustic wood products.  (like cheese product on the label of yellow cheese food slices).  can you all show pics of what you have done.  especially from you own mill.  how did you attach.  some design variation.  I have done rustic and even a herringbone pattern on steps.  I hate to glue it to sheet rock and have to tear it out maybe someday.  rough sawn vs planed.  I think the later will show grain better and be easier to clean.  I have seen varying width and thickness, and length, and species all on the same wall,  how do you frame it as in edges and borders with other walls.  we have an area with moisture damage from a frost free hydrant that leaks if you put a hose with a sprayer left on.  first is to pull off the sheetrock and fix that.  but it will be easier to go over the new sheet rock, as we have a knockdown textured wall.  lets see what you got!
Timber king 2000, 277c track loader, PJ 32 foot gooseneck, 1976 F700 state dump truck, JD 850 tractor.  2007 Chevy 3500HD dually, home built log splitter 18 horse 28 gpm with 5 inch cylinder and 32 inch split range with conveyor powered by a 12 volt tarp motor

DonW

Hello doc, if I understand it you are interested in plank walls. No picture but I once covered my wall with poplar planks I milled. 32mm thick spline jointed. The planks though were not with parallel edges but tapered more or less as the tree had grown. Don't get me wrong, this was no crazy organic situation, the edges were straight just wider at the bottom (slightly enough that it is clear for anyone with eyes to see) than top, placed up in an alternating way. Then painted. Maybe it's boring for you but kind of a novelty nowadays. Not before though. It is a practice from the Middle Ages used as a means of hauling the most out of a tree when materials were much more expensive, relatively. 
Hjartum yxa, nothing less than breitbeil/bandhacke combo.

Southside

This is a shiplap wall of mine. 16 different types of wood in it, planed smooth. Customer is going to oil it.

The whole thing is 1500 square feet so this is just the beginning.
Franklin buncher and skidder
JD Processor
Woodmizer LT Super 70 and LT35 sawmill, KD250 kiln, BMS 250 sharpener and setter
Riehl Edger
Woodmaster 725 and 4000 planner and moulder
Enough cows to ensure there is no spare time.
White Oak Meadows

Walnut Beast

Pretty cool for sure 👍

doc henderson

Timber king 2000, 277c track loader, PJ 32 foot gooseneck, 1976 F700 state dump truck, JD 850 tractor.  2007 Chevy 3500HD dually, home built log splitter 18 horse 28 gpm with 5 inch cylinder and 32 inch split range with conveyor powered by a 12 volt tarp motor

DWyatt

Here's a ceiling I did. All square edge sugar maple planed down and just butted together. It was for a friend that was trying to flip a house, he wanted rustic and cheap. All just nailed with a brad nailer. I sprayed it all in place.

alan gage

I lined the inside of my shop with about a dozen different hardwoods. They were planed, square edge, and face screwed. No finish but if it was in the house I would have put something on them. Looks great. Moisture content was around 16% on most of them when they went up so some substantial gaps have opened up this winter (was put up last winter) but with the random nature of the wall (width, length, species) I don't really notice unless I pay attention. Knowing they were going to shrink I tried not to put wide pieces (10-12") in adjoining rows.

I would say planing would almost be a necessity in the house.

A couple months ago I put a wood wall in my house after removing some old paneling. I used knotty v-groove siding from the lumberyard and painted it white. It was a much easier process than the walls in the shop but not as pretty or unique either. I'm not a big fan of knotty pine and have a lot of nice wood in the house (floors, trim, bookshelves, etc) and felt if left natural the knotty pine wall would have looked busy and pathetic in comparison. Painting it gives a clean look but the texture still says wood.

Alan

Timberking B-16, a few chainsaws from small to large, and a Bobcat 873 Skidloader.

SwampDonkey

And here I was thinking an outdoor wall, as a wind break in winter, but deter late frost in spring and early frost in fall, near my grapes. :snowball:  Southwesterly exposure on wall.
"No amount of belief makes something a fact." James Randi

1 Thessalonians 5:21

2020 Polaris Ranger 570 to forward firewood, Husqvarna 555 XT Pro, Stihl FS560 clearing saw and continuously thinning my ground, on the side. Grow them trees. (((o)))

Nebraska

Green Ash ceiling on the porch

Wife wanted rustic.

Don P

Ambrosia maple with a square edge T&G

Hickory with a V groove T&G

lazyflee

Did some reverse board and batten in my shop. rough cut fir with two tone stain.

kantuckid

My entire basement is panels from my EWP, made into reverse board and batten applied to concrete block foundation walls. A local KD/millwork company made it from tulip poplar and ran mine for me in with their own-until they burned down. We have another local company that still makes and sells the same. I have no idea why they don't also use EWP, just poplar. Easier to apply the batten boards than T&G. 
In KS I'd go with maple, ash, or what would cottonwood look like on a wall? 
Kan=Kansas;tuck=Kentucky;kid=what I'm not

doc henderson

the wife wants rustic, and a variety of color/species.  so in the same boat as @Nebraska but looking at tile like application vs long boards.  have told her about varying thickness and or width to make it interesting.  If there is not a pic on Pinterest, than it cannot be done (or at least conceptualized).  our flooring is foe vinyl rustic wood.  so do not want it to almost mimic and miss.  I may try to get a small dimension tongue and grove bit, but ship lap would be easier.  I do not want to glue and ruin sheetrock, if it comes down in 10 years.  kinda of why we do not do wall paper.  We have done boarders.

doc henderson

cottonwood is very pretty, under appreciated.  thanks for all the pics.  it is not pinterest, but should help my wife see some great ideas.

Nebraska

I think Elm would be pretty, Honey Locust, Green Ash and Cottonwood  in the mix would have  interesting  colors. All trees you can get a hold of locally Maybe Mulberry/Hedge thrown in.  You've got that fancy machine that makes those boards  ;), and it won't look like the pseudo barn wood box store stuff.  My wife is talking a wall in the house as well.

Don P

I dunno, he said he's trying to make it look like vinyl  ??? Maybe a rubbertree?

We had osb up on the ceiling as backing for the T&G so I could run a pattern. I wanted to try intarsia of the Bud horses but got shot down  :D

LeeB

You could do like Jeff did on the ceiling under the porch of his little cabin in his backyard. All the blocks came from different forum members.

https://forestryforum.com/board/index.php?topic=18953.msg755753#msg755753
'98 LT40HDD/Lombardini, Case 580L, Cat D4C, JD 3032 tractor, JD 5410 tractor, Husky 346, 372 and 562XP's. Stihl MS180 and MS361, 1998 and 2006 3/4 Ton 5.9 Cummins 4x4's, 1989 Dodge D100 w/ 318, and a 1966 Chevy C60 w/ dump bed.

21incher

The WOC 50 shades of brown thread had some fine looking walls that may give your  wife ideas of using different  shades of finishes for a random pattern that looks awesome. 
Hudson HFE-21 on a custom trailer, Deere 4100, Kubota BX 2360, Echo CS590 & CS310, home built wood splitter, home built log arch, a logrite cant hook and a bread machine. And a Kubota Sidekick with a Defective Subaru motor.

doc henderson

the floor is vinyl as it is in the basement and we could install as we go.  not ruined by water ect. ect.  looks like wood.  great ideas, and it has been a while since i have heard from our great friend and wood genius @tule peak timber 

Jeff

Western cedar planking  

<br
Just call me the midget doctor.
Forestry Forum Founder and Chief Cook and Bottle Washer.

Commercial circle sawmill sawyer in a past life for 25yrs.
Ezekiel 22:30

doc henderson

first step is fixing the hydrant and sheetrock. It leaked with back pressure like a spray nozzle or sprinkler.  I ruined the trim and rock.  so this area will get wood treatment.

@Jeff is that real wood on the floor.?

DonW

Something on different lines

The Oak
Hjartum yxa, nothing less than breitbeil/bandhacke combo.

Jeff

Quote from: doc henderson on March 04, 2021, 10:13:29 AM@Jeff is that real wood on the floor.?

Nope, waterproof laminate. Jeremy and another guy installed it in a day, that included moving furniture around.

BradMarks

Jeff:  "Your family tree is full of".... what? ;D

Jeff

Nuts. I was missing a b and a t and had an extra n....

Thank You Sponsors!