iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

Firewood Table Build

Started by PoginyHill, April 16, 2021, 07:42:35 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

PoginyHill

@711ac I think I saw some of your pics when I was researching ideas for mine. Same here - only 10-15 cords/year for myself. If the price ever gets a bit higher, maybe sell some - but now (at least in my area), $200/cord doesn't provide much incentive. The only real difference between yours and the one I'm building is portability (and maybe capacity for 16ft lengths - not sure of your length). Would like to easily move mine around the yard without relying on forks.
PS I grew up around your area in Maine - Gray to be exact.
Kubota M7060 & B2401, Metavic log trailer, Cat E70B, Cat D5C, 750 Grizzly ATV, Wallenstein FX110, 84" Landpride rotary hog, Classic Edge 750, Stihl 170, 261, 462

mike_belben

Praise The Lord

Crusarius

got bad news for ya. One of your frame pieces is upside down :)

Looks nice. love fresh steel

PoginyHill

Quote from: Crusarius on April 19, 2021, 12:28:39 PM
got bad news for ya. One of your frame pieces is upside down :)

Looks nice. love fresh steel
Let's hope nobody notices when it's all together.
Kubota M7060 & B2401, Metavic log trailer, Cat E70B, Cat D5C, 750 Grizzly ATV, Wallenstein FX110, 84" Landpride rotary hog, Classic Edge 750, Stihl 170, 261, 462

PoginyHill

Basic frame is done. With 4" worth of wood on top it'll be about 32" off the ground for the cutting table. The off-bearing table about 26". Wife OK'd that height last night. Need to attach the wheels on the back and the feet and trailer tongue on the front.

SpaceBus

Quote from: 711ac on April 19, 2021, 09:02:48 AM
Not nearly the same, but my "table" to keep the saw out of the dirt, stand upright and have the rounds at waist height to carry to the splitter. I'm only cutting my own firewood.

Do you burn green wood in an OWB? 10-15 cords a year is wild! I have two stoves in my house and only use 3 cord per year, no back up heat either. 
Logosol F2+
Various Chainsaws

PoginyHill

My wood is not green, but not fully seasoned either - maybe 20-30% moisture content. Every year I'm getting a little further ahead. Next winter should be fully seasoned. I can't answer to why 10-15 cords. That's not unreasonable from my experience and that I know of from others. I burned 8 cords when I had an indoor wood boiler. But now my oil backup never runs and I heat my garage often. Cold climate and on a hill - completely unprotected from the wind and a 100+ year old house would be factors. You must benefit from the warm on-shore breeze from the Gulf of Maine  :)

mike_belben

Praise The Lord

SpaceBus

Quote from: PoginyHill on April 29, 2021, 08:53:41 AM
My wood is not green, but not fully seasoned either - maybe 20-30% moisture content. Every year I'm getting a little further ahead. Next winter should be fully seasoned. I can't answer to why 10-15 cords. That's not unreasonable from my experience and that I know of from others. I burned 8 cords when I had an indoor wood boiler. But now my oil backup never runs and I heat my garage often. Cold climate and on a hill - completely unprotected from the wind and a 100+ year old house would be factors. You must benefit from the warm on-shore breeze from the Gulf of Maine  :)
Ha, I wish it were a warm breeze! Our house is also on a hill, but south facing and super insulated. Lack of insulation and heating a garage will definitely increase consumption, so I could see 10-15 cords. Especially if you are burning in a conventional OWB without storage. I burn in a wood cookstove pretty much every day till June and we have a freestanding stove as well. The cookstove is allegedly 75% efficient, but the freestanding stove, which does the real heating work, is EPA certified at 83%. There are at least two gasification OWB that have 75%+ efficiency, the Heatmaster G series and the Polar G4. Both are closer to 80% efficient  and eligible for the new tax credit. 

I like your wood processing setup, at some point I'd like to do something similar. While I don't burn as much as you, I do like to avoid bending over and keeping my bar away from the dirt. 
Logosol F2+
Various Chainsaws

711ac

Quote from: SpaceBus on April 29, 2021, 08:08:23 AM
Quote from: 711ac on April 19, 2021, 09:02:48 AM
Not nearly the same, but my "table" to keep the saw out of the dirt, stand upright and have the rounds at waist height to carry to the splitter. I'm only cutting my own firewood.

Do you burn green wood in an OWB? 10-15 cords a year is wild! I have two stoves in my house and only use 3 cord per year, no back up heat either.
Edit; responding to space bus.
No only about about 6, normally less and dry. I have an indoor gasser that's mostly to heat the shop's slab but does heat the house. I have about 14 racks that hold about 90c/f each and my wood goes directly off the splitter to the rack and gets top covered with rubber roofing. I'll burn it at 1 year minimum but in the single row rack, split and covered it's good, at least for my boiler. Super dry wood actually causes problems for me.

SpaceBus

Quote from: 711ac on April 29, 2021, 04:37:55 PM

Edit; responding to space bus.
No only about about 6, normally less and dry. I have an indoor gasser that's mostly to heat the shop's slab but does heat the house. I have about 14 racks that hold about 90c/f each and my wood goes directly off the splitter to the rack and gets top covered with rubber roofing. I'll burn it at 1 year minimum but in the single row rack, split and covered it's good, at least for my boiler. Super dry wood actually causes problems for me.
That's pretty good for heating a shop and the house! Do you have storage for your boiler? I dream about building a shop and heating it, and my house, with an indoor gasser with storage. 

Logosol F2+
Various Chainsaws

711ac

No storage, but on my list. We have what's come to be called a "barndominium". Just enough house on the end of the generous shop. I really don't want to give up the floor space in either the shop or house. In my view if I add storage, it'll be meaningful (1000 gallon) and that will take another fairly big tank for expansion adding up to a good bit of floor space even if I put the 1000g tank in a vertical position. Then there's the price of used LP tanks, it wasn't too long ago that we'd pick them up easily and make smokers out of them 😆 not anymore! 

SpaceBus

Quote from: 711ac on April 30, 2021, 04:13:32 PM
No storage, but on my list. We have what's come to be called a "barndominium". Just enough house on the end of the generous shop. I really don't want to give up the floor space in either the shop or house. In my view if I add storage, it'll be meaningful (1000 gallon) and that will take another fairly big tank for expansion adding up to a good bit of floor space even if I put the 1000g tank in a vertical position. Then there's the price of used LP tanks, it wasn't too long ago that we'd pick them up easily and make smokers out of them 😆 not anymore!
Have you ever heard of American Solartechnic? It's a Mainer company that offers products for solar and wood hydronic heating. The company offers a pretty interesting solution to thermal storage. 

American Solartechnics, LLC. - Heat Bank Storage Tanks

Logosol F2+
Various Chainsaws

PoginyHill

Metal frame is done. Attached axle and made the tongue. Copied commercial wood splitter designs and made the tongue removable to avoid the trip hazard when in use. Tongue has 2" receiver to mount either a ball hitch or Ag hitch. Next is paint. Then apply wood to the top.

mike_belben

Praise The Lord

Walnut Beast

You might have copied it but you probably saved a substantial amount of money. Good job 👍

Tacotodd

@711ac barndominion , that's hilarious. I'm gonna use THAT term for some of my friends places.
Trying harder everyday.

711ac

Quote from: SpaceBus on April 30, 2021, 05:47:33 PM
Quote from: 711ac on April 30, 2021, 04:13:32 PM
Have you ever heard of American Solartechnic? It's a Mainer company that offers products for solar and wood hydronic heating. The company offers a pretty interesting solution to thermal storage.

American Solartechnics, LLC. - Heat Bank Storage Tanks
I listen to Tom every Saturday on the radio 👍but I want pressurized storage. 

PoginyHill

Frame is painted. Began applying wood to the top. The end is near. Excited to cut my first cord on it.

mike_belben

Fine craftsmanship.  Im eager to see what you make of it. 
Praise The Lord

cutterboy

Looking good. Nice location you have up there. Pretty view with lots of trees.
To underestimate old men and old machines is the folly of youth. Frank C.

doc henderson

time to get a few scratches in the paint soon.  nice. ;)
Timber king 2000, 277c track loader, PJ 32 foot gooseneck, 1976 F700 state dump truck, JD 850 tractor.  2007 Chevy 3500HD dually, home built log splitter 18 horse 28 gpm with 5 inch cylinder and 32 inch split range with conveyor powered by a 12 volt tarp motor

jmur1

I like it.  Nice Solid build.  How do you like the Kubota loader?  Ive got an old JD 1030 and its about to get the boot.  Ive being looking at the different Kubotas.  Keep us posted to how the table works out.

jmur1
Easy does it

PoginyHill

Quote from: jmur1 on May 31, 2021, 11:22:59 AM
I like it.  Nice Solid build.  How do you like the Kubota loader?  Ive got an old JD 1030 and its about to get the boot.  Ive being looking at the different Kubotas.  Keep us posted to how the table works out.

jmur1
The loader works fine. My only complaint with the M7060 is hydraulic flow. I have the 8 speed, which comes with a lower hydraulic flow rate. The 12 speed version has higher gpm (can't recall the exact numbers, but easily obtained online). The loader can be slow at times. I've used a neighbor's New Holland. Generally I don't like the tractor, but the hydraulics are better than mine. The loader itself if rugged enough and mounts/dismounts easily.
Firewood table is done. Not used it yet, but should see a scratch or two before the week is out.

PoginyHill

Last step was 5/4" PT boards for the off-bearing table and 2X4s for the cutting table. All mating surfaces and end-grain got a heavy dose of used motor oil. First stem is an ugly "pasture spruce". Table is designed for 16" and 24" cuts. Wasn't able to cut anything yet with family visiting over the holiday weekend. Should see some action this week.

Thank You Sponsors!