The Forestry Forum is sponsored in part by:

iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Forestry Forum
Sponsored by:

TimberKing Sawmills

Toll Free 1-800-582-0470

LogRite Tools

Norwood Industries Inc.

Your source for Portable Sawmills, Edgers, Resaws, Sharpeners, Setters, Bandsaw Blades and Sawmill Parts

EZ Boardwalk Sawmills. More Saw For Less Money!

STIHLDealers.com sponsored by Northeast STIHL

Woodland Sawmills

Peterson Swingmills

KASCO SharpTech WoodMaxx Blades

Turbosawmill

Sawmill Exchange

Michigan Firewood, your BRUTE FORCE Authorized Dealer

Baker Products

ECHO-Bearcat

iDRY Wood Lumber Vacuum Drying for everyon

Nyle Kiln Dry Systems

Chainsawr, The Worlds Largest Inventory of Chainsaw Parts

Smith Sawmill Service

Author Topic: Ticks ticks ticks  (Read 2898 times)

Online HemlockKing

• Senior Member x2
  • I'm new!
    • Share Post
Ticks ticks ticks
« on: April 27, 2021, 06:18:06 PM »
7 on me today folks and seen more on my jerry cans bar oil jugs etc, they are EVERYWHERE. Time for me to try this permitherin stuff out. I have never seen them so bad and especially this early in the season, its only April, oh god I cant even imagine what late may early June will be, hopefully I can fend off Lyme disease this summer. Just 15 years ago there were no ticks at all that I recall of around here. 

This was the 7th, this one must have been in my truck somewhere because I had already checked for ticks today and changed etc but used the truck after, was on my neck. Really sick of these fellas
Building the land of my dreams.

Online HemlockKing

• Senior Member x2
  • I'm new!
    • Share Post
Re: Ticks ticks ticks
« Reply #1 on: April 27, 2021, 06:19:14 PM »
Its fun to light them on fire though and watch them scramble little pests, they run right into the flame because they think its fresh meat 

Online HemlockKing

• Senior Member x2
  • I'm new!
    • Share Post
« Reply #2 on: April 27, 2021, 07:02:55 PM »

Give this a shot suppose

Online HemlockKing

• Senior Member x2
  • I'm new!
    • Share Post
« Reply #3 on: April 27, 2021, 07:10:15 PM »

Offline moodnacreek

• Senior Member x2
  • Sawin by the notches
    • Share Post
« Reply #4 on: April 27, 2021, 07:11:07 PM »
 Nova Scotia ? That far north? I did not think that could happen.                 In the shower check yourself very carefully in the places I won't mention. They will get up in there and be there until it itches or burns and then if they have lime so do you. Don't think it is bark or sawdust if you are lucky enough to feel anything.

Online HemlockKing

• Senior Member x2
  • I'm new!
    • Share Post
« Reply #5 on: April 27, 2021, 07:15:20 PM »
Nova Scotia ? That far north? I did not think that could happen.                 In the shower check yourself very carefully in the places I won't mention. They will get up in there and be there until it itches or burns and then if they have lime so do you. Don't think it is bark or sawdust if you are lucky enough to feel anything.
That is correct sir they are bad up here especially western Nova Scotia(more mild winters). In my life I have probably had hundreds on me but only one actually made it to biting me, that was last year, no signs of infection or bullseye rash so I shrugged it off 

Online HemlockKing

• Senior Member x2
  • I'm new!
    • Share Post
« Reply #6 on: April 27, 2021, 07:16:45 PM »

Ingredients to this spray I got, any thoughts? Hopefully this works

Offline mike_belben

• Senior Member x2
  • Pulp Friction
    • Share Post
« Reply #7 on: April 27, 2021, 10:04:05 PM »
Sawyer is a spray for clothing that has .5% permethrin. Once it dries youre good for like 6 or 7 washes.  But its fairly spendy compared to the livestock and horse sprays at the co-op or ag store that are up to 10% permethrin.  

Its not safe around cats btw.  

Isaiah 48:10

Online HemlockKing

• Senior Member x2
  • I'm new!
    • Share Post
« Reply #8 on: April 28, 2021, 03:51:03 AM »
Sawyer is a spray for clothing that has .5% permethrin. Once it dries youre good for like 6 or 7 washes.  But its fairly spendy compared to the livestock and horse sprays at the co-op or ag store that are up to 10% permethrin.  

Its not safe around cats btw.  
Looking into that stuff now thanks, I just grabbed this stuff since it was local Its envio/animal friendly so probably wont work like the real deal 

Offline woodroe

• Full Member x2
    • Share Post
« Reply #9 on: April 28, 2021, 04:44:49 AM »
We had a similar infestation of wood ticks aka dog ticks a couple summers back, hardly 
any last summer in comparison. Then there is the occasional deer tick which is why I spray pemethrin
on my woods clothing and boots too. Stuff works, forget the Deet although that does work good for the mighty Blackfly. 
But they were everywhere that summer , congregating on the garage wood trim 5 or 6 together sometimes,
door knobs too.
Could have made a Alfred Hitchcock movie "The Ticks" that summer. 
That said, picked up my first wood tick yesterday around the house, itch on the leg and wallah.

Online HemlockKing

• Senior Member x2
  • I'm new!
    • Share Post
« Reply #10 on: April 28, 2021, 05:04:06 AM »
We had a similar infestation of wood ticks aka dog ticks a couple summers back, hardly
any last summer in comparison. Then there is the occasional deer tick which is why I spray pemethrin
on my woods clothing and boots too. Stuff works, forget the Deet although that does work good for the mighty Blackfly.
But they were everywhere that summer , congregating on the garage wood trim 5 or 6 together sometimes,
door knobs too.
Could have made a Alfred Hitchcock movie "The Ticks" that summer.
That said, picked up my first wood tick yesterday around the house, itch on the leg and wallah.
We have lots of deer ticks here, out of the 7 only 1 yesterday was a deer tick. I just sprayed that Atlantick stuff in me and I guess Im allergic to that stuff cause my skin is BURNING. Looks like more deet until I get this sawyers spray. USELESS creatures these things are, what do they even contribute to the food chain? Im getting some guinea hens 

Offline firefighter ontheside

• Senior Member x2
  • I like trees.
    • Share Post
« Reply #11 on: April 28, 2021, 08:37:00 AM »
Yes, the ticks are out in force here too.  I've had one attached and numerous crawling on me this spring.  Just a normal nightly ritual to check for ticks.  Luckily Lyme is not prevalent in this area.  I don't use anything for them, because permethrin is the only thing that works.  I just try to avoid the tall brush this time of year.  It gets better later in the summer when it gets really dry.  Its the little larvae/baby ones that really bother me.  As far as what they contribute, lots of animals eat them.  Opossums eat lots of ticks.  Chickens and guinea fowl eat them too.  We used to leave our hens out all day and they would control the ticks in our yard, but then they got eaten by the foxes and so the hens are in the coop all day.
Woodmizer LT15
Kubota Grand L4200
Stihl 025 and MS291
2017 F350 Diesel 4WD
Kawasaki Mule 4010

Offline Will.K

• Full Member x2
    • Share Post
« Reply #12 on: April 28, 2021, 09:34:29 AM »
Yes, the ticks are out in force here too.  I've had one attached and numerous crawling on me this spring.  Just a normal nightly ritual to check for ticks.  Luckily Lyme is not prevalent in this area.  I don't use anything for them, because permethrin is the only thing that works.  I just try to avoid the tall brush this time of year.  It gets better later in the summer when it gets really dry.  Its the little larvae/baby ones that really bother me.  As far as what they contribute, lots of animals eat them.  Opossums eat lots of ticks.  Chickens and guinea fowl eat them too.  We used to leave our hens out all day and they would control the ticks in our yard, but then they got eaten by the foxes and so the hens are in the coop all day.
Happily larval ticks don't spread lyme or other diseases. I too have stopped using repellants (which do not work) or permethrin (I spend too much time in the woods to keep up with treating my clothes). So I just get a lot of ticks on me, and am bitten dozens of times a year. A tip for when you've got nine-hundred larvae crawling up your pants: Lint roller, or a loop of duct tape around your hand.

If you do want to use permethrin, diluting the cattle insecticides works and is almost infinitely cheaper than buying the person stuff. I don't know if it's safe.

Offline mike_belben

• Senior Member x2
  • Pulp Friction
    • Share Post
« Reply #13 on: April 28, 2021, 09:43:37 AM »
the tiny ones are called seed ticks here and they will burrow in quite deep until only their butt sticks out.  ether will hose them off when you step in a tick bomb, and will help coax buried ones to back out a bit.  

walmart sells a 2 pack of little green plastic number 7s called the tick tornado.  everyone should have this.. i remove a hundred a year across the whole family and theres nothing like it. they twirl right out.  left hand thread metrics i reckon.  little buggers.

they go in a wad of toilet paper and down the bowl.  the paper makes sure they drown instead of float.  

atleast soak your boots in permethrin.  i hold back my workpants til im almost out, wash them, hang them on the line and then spray them all from the knees down front and back.  huge difference. 

Offline mike_belben

• Senior Member x2
  • Pulp Friction
    • Share Post
« Reply #14 on: April 28, 2021, 09:48:18 AM »
now if youre really plagued by dog ticks that you know are coming in on neighbors dogs that are clearly covered in fat pregnant raisinet ticks that are each gonna deliver hundreds more and you really are serious about breaking the cycle...  go online and order nexgard spectra flea/tick/mite/wormer pills.. slip one pill to each dog in a fig newton.  in 2 days every parasite on that dog will be dried to a crisp.  naturally they will pick up more, and for a solid month or 3 that dog will be a tick killer instead of a tick spreader.  if you can treat 3 dogs your whole area will see a big drop in dog tick infestation. 

Online HemlockKing

• Senior Member x2
  • I'm new!
    • Share Post
« Reply #15 on: April 28, 2021, 09:58:50 AM »
now if youre really plagued by dog ticks that you know are coming in on neighbors dogs that are clearly covered in fat pregnant raisinet ticks that are each gonna deliver hundreds more and you really are serious about breaking the cycle...  go online and order nexgard spectra flea/tick/mite/wormer pills.. slip one pill to each dog in a fig newton.  in 2 days every parasite on that dog will be dried to a crisp.  naturally they will pick up more, and for a solid month or 3 that dog will be a tick killer instead of a tick spreader.  if you can treat 3 dogs your whole area will see a big drop in dog tick infestation.
Do ticks try to latch onto guinea hens I wonder?id assume so.  Double win since they eat them anyway and if they do get loaded with ticks they get the nexgard treatment. Im looking to get hens here in the near future anyway may pick up 3-4 of those guineas too

Online HemlockKing

• Senior Member x2
  • I'm new!
    • Share Post
« Reply #16 on: April 28, 2021, 10:01:55 AM »
the tiny ones are called seed ticks here and they will burrow in quite deep until only their butt sticks out.  ether will hose them off when you step in a tick bomb, and will help coax buried ones to back out a bit.  

walmart sells a 2 pack of little green plastic number 7s called the tick tornado.  everyone should have this.. i remove a hundred a year across the whole family and theres nothing like it. they twirl right out.  left hand thread metrics i reckon.  little buggers.

they go in a wad of toilet paper and down the bowl.  the paper makes sure they drown instead of float.  

atleast soak your boots in permethrin.  i hold back my workpants til im almost out, wash them, hang them on the line and then spray them all from the knees down front and back.  huge difference.
My typical routine is to wear high boots, wear thin layer under near my chainsaw pants and tuck the under layer into socks, I then take the chainsaw legging and pull it over top of the top of the boot so its overlapped, also wear light color long sleeves and tuck in around the waist. Off bug spray all over my boots and shin area, some around the waist and then the arms and neck. It aint cuttin it though, they still find ways. Buggers.

Offline Will.K

• Full Member x2
    • Share Post
« Reply #17 on: April 28, 2021, 10:06:52 AM »
Ticks don't care about DEET, no matter what the label says.

Offline Wudman

• Forester
  • Eat, drink, and be merry before you go on quota!
    • Share Post
« Reply #18 on: April 28, 2021, 10:16:07 AM »
Permanone is the best hands down.  I've been treated for Rocky Mountain Spotted Fever and Lyme Disease.  Before the days of Permanone, I might have 100 to remove any given day.  It is seldom that I have one attached these days.  You can watch him fry as he climbs the pants leg.  I spray from the waist down.  

Wudman
You may tear down statues and burn buildings but you cant kill the spirit of patriots and when theyve had enough this madness will end.
Charlie Daniels
July 4, 2020 (2 days before his death)

Offline mike_belben

• Senior Member x2
  • Pulp Friction
    • Share Post
« Reply #19 on: April 28, 2021, 12:18:33 PM »
just some permethrin info.

oregon state university overview 
Permethrin General Fact Sheet

dried permethrin on fabric does get into the animal wearing it. 
https://www.tandfonline.com/doi/abs/10.1080/15287399209531598

a guy thats apparently been diluting 10% equine permethrin as a cheaper clothing treatment for hunting. and no its not me. 
Permethrin / Permanone - Tick and Chigger repellent - Hunting and Fishing - TNGunOwners.com

the scientists seem to be on the fence about potential for cancer but i presume its been long enough that wed be seeing a lot of news if it were highly correlated.  i did read that in crop applications, other chemical mixtures such as carboryl and organophosphates can do all sorts of crazy combining with permethrin so id keep it out of the garden, as the stuff does get into plants grown on treated dirt. 

Share via delicious Share via digg Share via facebook Share via linkedin Share via pinterest Share via reddit Share via stumble Share via tumblr Share via twitter

xx
ticks

Started by ehp on Forestry and Logging

46 Replies
Last post July 10, 2015, 06:58:58 PM
by ehp
xx
Ticks

Started by JohnG28 on General Board

14 Replies
Last post September 19, 2014, 08:23:18 AM
by JohnG28