iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

Ticks ticks ticks

Started by HemlockKing, April 27, 2021, 06:18:06 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

HemlockKing

7 on me today folks and seen more on my jerry cans bar oil jugs etc, they are EVERYWHERE. Time for me to try this permitherin stuff out. I have never seen them so bad and especially this early in the season, it's only April, oh god I can't even imagine what late may early June will be, hopefully I can fend off Lyme disease this summer. Just 15 years ago there were no ticks at all that I recall of around here. 

This was the 7th, this one must have been in my truck somewhere because I had already checked for ticks today and changed etc but used the truck after, was on my neck. Really sick of these fellas
A1

HemlockKing

It's fun to light them on fire though and watch them scramble little pests, they run right into the flame because they think it's fresh meat 
A1

HemlockKing

A1

HemlockKing

A1

moodnacreek

Nova Scotia ? That far north? I did not think that could happen.                 In the shower check yourself very carefully in the places I won't mention. They will get up in there and be there until it itches or burns and then if they have lime so do you. Don't think it is bark or sawdust if you are lucky enough to feel anything.

HemlockKing

Quote from: moodnacreek on April 27, 2021, 07:11:07 PM
Nova Scotia ? That far north? I did not think that could happen.                 In the shower check yourself very carefully in the places I won't mention. They will get up in there and be there until it itches or burns and then if they have lime so do you. Don't think it is bark or sawdust if you are lucky enough to feel anything.
That is correct sir they are bad up here especially western Nova Scotia(more mild winters). In my life I have probably had hundreds on me but only one actually made it to biting me, that was last year, no signs of infection or bullseye rash so I shrugged it off 
A1

HemlockKing

Ingredients to this spray I got, any thoughts? Hopefully this works
A1

mike_belben

Sawyer is a spray for clothing that has .5% permethrin. Once it dries youre good for like 6 or 7 washes.  But its fairly spendy compared to the livestock and horse sprays at the co-op or ag store that are up to 10% permethrin.  

Its not safe around cats btw.  

Praise The Lord

HemlockKing

Quote from: mike_belben on April 27, 2021, 10:04:05 PM
Sawyer is a spray for clothing that has .5% permethrin. Once it dries youre good for like 6 or 7 washes.  But its fairly spendy compared to the livestock and horse sprays at the co-op or ag store that are up to 10% permethrin.  

Its not safe around cats btw.  
Looking into that stuff now thanks, I just grabbed this stuff since it was local It's envio/animal friendly so probably won't work like the real deal 
A1

woodroe

We had a similar infestation of wood ticks aka dog ticks a couple summers back, hardly 
any last summer in comparison. Then there is the occasional deer tick which is why I spray pemethrin
on my woods clothing and boots too. Stuff works, forget the Deet although that does work good for the mighty Blackfly. 
But they were everywhere that summer , congregating on the garage wood trim 5 or 6 together sometimes,
door knobs too.
Could have made a Alfred Hitchcock movie "The Ticks" that summer. 
That said, picked up my first wood tick yesterday around the house, itch on the leg and wallah.
Skidding firewood with a kubota L3300.

HemlockKing

Quote from: woodroe on April 28, 2021, 04:44:49 AM
We had a similar infestation of wood ticks aka dog ticks a couple summers back, hardly
any last summer in comparison. Then there is the occasional deer tick which is why I spray pemethrin
on my woods clothing and boots too. Stuff works, forget the Deet although that does work good for the mighty Blackfly.
But they were everywhere that summer , congregating on the garage wood trim 5 or 6 together sometimes,
door knobs too.
Could have made a Alfred Hitchcock movie "The Ticks" that summer.
That said, picked up my first wood tick yesterday around the house, itch on the leg and wallah.
We have lots of deer ticks here, out of the 7 only 1 yesterday was a deer tick. I just sprayed that "Atlantick" stuff in me and I guess I'm allergic to that stuff cause my skin is BURNING. Looks like more deet until I get this sawyers spray. USELESS creatures these things are, what do they even contribute to the food chain? I'm getting some guinea hens 
A1

firefighter ontheside

Yes, the ticks are out in force here too.  I've had one attached and numerous crawling on me this spring.  Just a normal nightly ritual to check for ticks.  Luckily Lyme is not prevalent in this area.  I don't use anything for them, because permethrin is the only thing that works.  I just try to avoid the tall brush this time of year.  It gets better later in the summer when it gets really dry.  Its the little larvae/baby ones that really bother me.  As far as what they contribute, lots of animals eat them.  Opossums eat lots of ticks.  Chickens and guinea fowl eat them too.  We used to leave our hens out all day and they would control the ticks in our yard, but then they got eaten by the foxes and so the hens are in the coop all day.
Woodmizer LT15
Kubota Grand L4200
Stihl 025, MS261 and MS362
2017 F350 Diesel 4WD
Kawasaki Mule 4010
1998 Dodge 3500 Flatbed

Will.K

Quote from: firefighter ontheside on April 28, 2021, 08:37:00 AM
Yes, the ticks are out in force here too.  I've had one attached and numerous crawling on me this spring.  Just a normal nightly ritual to check for ticks.  Luckily Lyme is not prevalent in this area.  I don't use anything for them, because permethrin is the only thing that works.  I just try to avoid the tall brush this time of year.  It gets better later in the summer when it gets really dry.  Its the little larvae/baby ones that really bother me.  As far as what they contribute, lots of animals eat them.  Opossums eat lots of ticks.  Chickens and guinea fowl eat them too.  We used to leave our hens out all day and they would control the ticks in our yard, but then they got eaten by the foxes and so the hens are in the coop all day.
Happily larval ticks don't spread lyme or other diseases. I too have stopped using repellants (which do not work) or permethrin (I spend too much time in the woods to keep up with treating my clothes). So I just get a lot of ticks on me, and am bitten dozens of times a year. A tip for when you've got nine-hundred larvae crawling up your pants: Lint roller, or a loop of duct tape around your hand.

If you do want to use permethrin, diluting the cattle insecticides works and is almost infinitely cheaper than buying the person stuff. I don't know if it's safe.

mike_belben

the tiny ones are called seed ticks here and they will burrow in quite deep until only their butt sticks out.  ether will hose them off when you step in a tick bomb, and will help coax buried ones to back out a bit.  

walmart sells a 2 pack of little green plastic number 7s called the tick tornado.  everyone should have this.. i remove a hundred a year across the whole family and theres nothing like it. they twirl right out.  left hand thread metrics i reckon.  little buggers.

they go in a wad of toilet paper and down the bowl.  the paper makes sure they drown instead of float.  

atleast soak your boots in permethrin.  i hold back my workpants til im almost out, wash them, hang them on the line and then spray them all from the knees down front and back.  huge difference. 
Praise The Lord

mike_belben

now if youre really plagued by dog ticks that you know are coming in on neighbors dogs that are clearly covered in fat pregnant raisinet ticks that are each gonna deliver hundreds more and you really are serious about breaking the cycle...  go online and order nexgard spectra flea/tick/mite/wormer pills.. slip one pill to each dog in a fig newton.  in 2 days every parasite on that dog will be dried to a crisp.  naturally they will pick up more, and for a solid month or 3 that dog will be a tick killer instead of a tick spreader.  if you can treat 3 dogs your whole area will see a big drop in dog tick infestation. 
Praise The Lord

HemlockKing

Quote from: mike_belben on April 28, 2021, 09:48:18 AM
now if youre really plagued by dog ticks that you know are coming in on neighbors dogs that are clearly covered in fat pregnant raisinet ticks that are each gonna deliver hundreds more and you really are serious about breaking the cycle...  go online and order nexgard spectra flea/tick/mite/wormer pills.. slip one pill to each dog in a fig newton.  in 2 days every parasite on that dog will be dried to a crisp.  naturally they will pick up more, and for a solid month or 3 that dog will be a tick killer instead of a tick spreader.  if you can treat 3 dogs your whole area will see a big drop in dog tick infestation.
Do ticks try to latch onto guinea hens I wonder?id assume so.  Double win since they eat them anyway and if they do get loaded with ticks they get the nexgard treatment. I'm looking to get hens here in the near future anyway may pick up 3-4 of those guineas too
A1

HemlockKing

Quote from: mike_belben on April 28, 2021, 09:43:37 AM
the tiny ones are called seed ticks here and they will burrow in quite deep until only their butt sticks out.  ether will hose them off when you step in a tick bomb, and will help coax buried ones to back out a bit.  

walmart sells a 2 pack of little green plastic number 7s called the tick tornado.  everyone should have this.. i remove a hundred a year across the whole family and theres nothing like it. they twirl right out.  left hand thread metrics i reckon.  little buggers.

they go in a wad of toilet paper and down the bowl.  the paper makes sure they drown instead of float.  

atleast soak your boots in permethrin.  i hold back my workpants til im almost out, wash them, hang them on the line and then spray them all from the knees down front and back.  huge difference.
My typical routine is to wear high boots, wear thin layer under near my chainsaw pants and tuck the under layer into socks, I then take the chainsaw legging and pull it over top of the top of the boot so it's overlapped, also wear light color long sleeves and tuck in around the waist. Off bug spray all over my boots and shin area, some around the waist and then the arms and neck. It ain't cuttin it though, they still find ways. Buggers.
A1

Will.K

Ticks don't care about DEET, no matter what the label says.

Wudman

Permanone is the best hands down.  I've been treated for Rocky Mountain Spotted Fever and Lyme Disease.  Before the days of Permanone, I might have 100 to remove any given day.  It is seldom that I have one attached these days.  You can watch him fry as he climbs the pants leg.  I spray from the waist down.  

Wudman
"You may tear down statues and burn buildings but you can't kill the spirit of patriots and when they've had enough this madness will end."
Charlie Daniels
July 4, 2020 (2 days before his death)

mike_belben

just some permethrin info.

oregon state university overview 
Permethrin General Fact Sheet

dried permethrin on fabric does get into the animal wearing it. 
https://www.tandfonline.com/doi/abs/10.1080/15287399209531598

a guy thats apparently been diluting 10% equine permethrin as a cheaper clothing treatment for hunting. and no its not me. 
Permethrin / Permanone - Tick and Chigger repellent - Hunting and Fishing - TNGunOwners.com

the scientists seem to be on the fence about potential for cancer but i presume its been long enough that wed be seeing a lot of news if it were highly correlated.  i did read that in crop applications, other chemical mixtures such as carboryl and organophosphates can do all sorts of crazy combining with permethrin so id keep it out of the garden, as the stuff does get into plants grown on treated dirt. 
Praise The Lord

Kim_Ked

They are bad bad bad right now in N.S. This was on the south mountain almost into the Annapolis Valley.
I went to look at clearing, excavating, a lot for a buddy yesterday afternoon. It wasn't dense woods or anything. Before I got back in my truck I stood and picked at least half a dozen off my shirt and my bare belly/back and on my jeans. Another one on my leg on the way home. Got home and stripped off to find several more in my cloths and one bit in my neck. A few hours later, my belly button was itching, sure enough, I had one latched in there so hard I had to get the wife to extract it. I'm used to ticks, but wow, that was excessive!  I think Ill stay in the excavator on that job. He can do the cutting....
1995 Daewoo Solar 130-3, 2001 Customized Arbro1000, 1995 Case 685, Patu525, Chevy C10 383Stroker!

HemlockKing

Quote from: Kim_Ked on April 29, 2021, 06:06:22 AM
They are bad bad bad right now in N.S. This was on the south mountain almost into the Annapolis Valley.
I went to look at clearing, excavating, a lot for a buddy yesterday afternoon. It wasn't dense woods or anything. Before I got back in my truck I stood and picked at least half a dozen off my shirt and my bare belly/back and on my jeans. Another one on my leg on the way home. Got home and stripped off to find several more in my cloths and one bit in my neck. A few hours later, my belly button was itching, sure enough, I had one latched in there so hard I had to get the wife to extract it. I'm used to ticks, but wow, that was excessive!  I think Ill stay in the excavator on that job. He can do the cutting....
They really are horrible around here right now, yesterday though I was basicallly swimming in brush piles and had none on me, today's another day, gotta plant some seedlings today, will be getting all kinds probably 

A1

Kim_Ked

Nice.
Where did you get your seedlings? 
Iv been going into the woods and digging up smaller trees and moving them to my lot but I would like to get a few different types other than my local usual species. I was thinking of going out to the South Shore where Oak is abundant to get a few baby oak trees and bring home. 

Also, I like your profile picture. Ill post a pic of my 79 here in a bit.
1995 Daewoo Solar 130-3, 2001 Customized Arbro1000, 1995 Case 685, Patu525, Chevy C10 383Stroker!

HemlockKing

Quote from: Kim_Ked on April 29, 2021, 09:14:06 AM
Nice.
Where did you get your seedlings?
Iv been going into the woods and digging up smaller trees and moving them to my lot but I would like to get a few different types other than my local usual species. I was thinking of going out to the South Shore where Oak is abundant to get a few baby oak trees and bring home.

Also, I like your profile picture. Ill post a pic of my 79 here in a bit.
Thanks! It was abandoned here in the early 90s, I was cleaning up junk people had dumped here over the years while it was mostly vacant and I decided I like that old abounded truck so I will leave it may even preserve it but slapping some thompsons water sealant on it  :D
I got my seedling from the DNR in luneneburg I believe it was 8 cents a seedling, if you want to find a lot of oak off the 103 between Lockport and Port joli there is that area with sharp corners etc, dexter construction has a quarry right there too, anyway that’s a whole oak Forrest, plenty of saplings in the ditch
A1

mike_belben

im eager to go trample around in the tick locker and flag all the little dogwoods that are in full show right now so that i dont accidentally squish them later.  this has me wanting to hose my stuff down in permethrin again and i think ive gotten to the bottom of the concentration conflicts.  

it is this EPA document that limits products sold as RESIDENTIAL USE to .5% concentrations.  so that explains why all the sprays you put on your stuff at home are half percent. 

https://www3.epa.gov/pesticides/chem_search/reg_actions/reregistration/fs_PC-109701_1-Jun-06.pdf

once you put it in a bottle that doesnt claim to fall under a residential use the half percent limit is off and you can get into 10% sprays for horses or up to 36.8% concentrates for broadcast spraying or perimeter spraying around the home for termites, spiders, bees etc etc.  beware its lethal to cats. and dont eat it or spray your face.  that should save you a lot of label reading.  

half way down this page gets into a really handy chart on mixing ratios for application rates to treat various problems. 

Permethrin 10% for Animal Use - Drugs.com
Praise The Lord

Thank You Sponsors!