Previous topic - Next topic

HemlockKing

A1

Kim_Ked

Quote from: HemlockKing on April 29, 2021, 10:52:28 AM
Quote from: Kim_Ked on April 29, 2021, 09:14:06 AM
Nice.
Where did you get your seedlings?
Iv been going into the woods and digging up smaller trees and moving them to my lot but I would like to get a few different types other than my local usual species. I was thinking of going out to the South Shore where Oak is abundant to get a few baby oak trees and bring home.

Also, I like your profile picture. Ill post a pic of my 79 here in a bit.
Thanks! It was abandoned here in the early 90s, I was cleaning up junk people had dumped here over the years while it was mostly vacant and I decided I like that old abounded truck so I will leave it may even preserve it but slapping some thompsons water sealant on it  :D
I got my seedling from the DNR in luneneburg I believe it was 8 cents a seedling, if you want to find a lot of oak off the 103 between Lockport and Port joli there is that area with sharp corners etc, dexter construction has a quarry right there too, anyway that's a whole oak Forrest, plenty of saplings in the ditch
That's a sweet price for seedlings man..
I actually have at very minimum 30 to 40 acres of very old hand cleared fields. They have been in my wife's family for many generations. Currently, the only thing that happens on them is ATVing, and I let a guy come every year and cut the hay for nothing just to keep the fields up. I'm always pondering things I could do with them but I really don't know much at all about growing anything. I'v thought about the possibility of doing maybe one field as just a tree plantation. It would be something decent for the future. I know a guy that did this with pine trees, but they are too close together and its a bit of a mess. 
I'm going to give DNR a call to see if there are still trees available.
Way of tick topic here but, you know how it goes...............
1995 Daewoo Solar 130-3, 2001 Customized Arbro1000, 1995 Case 685, Patu525, Chevy C10 383Stroker!

HemlockKing

NOT MY BLOOD

NOT MY BLOOD

NOT MY BLOOD
A1

HemlockKing

Quote from: mike_belben on April 29, 2021, 11:13:25 AM
im eager to go trample around in the tick locker and flag all the little dogwoods that are in full show right now so that i dont accidentally squish them later.  this has me wanting to hose my stuff down in permethrin again and i think ive gotten to the bottom of the concentration conflicts.  

it is this EPA document that limits products sold as RESIDENTIAL USE to .5% concentrations.  so that explains why all the sprays you put on your stuff at home are half percent.

https://www3.epa.gov/pesticides/chem_search/reg_actions/reregistration/fs_PC-109701_1-Jun-06.pdf

once you put it in a bottle that doesnt claim to fall under a residential use the half percent limit is off and you can get into 10% sprays for horses or up to 36.8% concentrates for broadcast spraying or perimeter spraying around the home for termites, spiders, bees etc etc.  beware its lethal to cats. and dont eat it or spray your face.  that should save you a lot of label reading.  

half way down this page gets into a really handy chart on mixing ratios for application rates to treat various problems.

Permethrin 10% for Animal Use - Drugs.com
Ain't nothin like peace of mind. Soak that stuff with permethrin! 
I will take a look at that link tonight after work 
A1

HemlockKing

Quote from: Kim_Ked on April 29, 2021, 11:34:57 AM
Quote from: HemlockKing on April 29, 2021, 10:52:28 AM
Quote from: Kim_Ked on April 29, 2021, 09:14:06 AM
Nice.
Where did you get your seedlings?
Iv been going into the woods and digging up smaller trees and moving them to my lot but I would like to get a few different types other than my local usual species. I was thinking of going out to the South Shore where Oak is abundant to get a few baby oak trees and bring home.

Also, I like your profile picture. Ill post a pic of my 79 here in a bit.
Thanks! It was abandoned here in the early 90s, I was cleaning up junk people had dumped here over the years while it was mostly vacant and I decided I like that old abounded truck so I will leave it may even preserve it but slapping some thompsons water sealant on it  :D
I got my seedling from the DNR in luneneburg I believe it was 8 cents a seedling, if you want to find a lot of oak off the 103 between Lockport and Port joli there is that area with sharp corners etc, dexter construction has a quarry right there too, anyway that's a whole oak Forrest, plenty of saplings in the ditch
That's a sweet price for seedlings man..
I actually have at very minimum 30 to 40 acres of very old hand cleared fields. They have been in my wife's family for many generations. Currently, the only thing that happens on them is ATVing, and I let a guy come every year and cut the hay for nothing just to keep the fields up. I'm always pondering things I could do with them but I really don't know much at all about growing anything. I'v thought about the possibility of doing maybe one field as just a tree plantation. It would be something decent for the future. I know a guy that did this with pine trees, but they are too close together and its a bit of a mess.
I'm going to give DNR a call to see if there are still trees available.
Way of tick topic here but, you know how it goes...............
I say do it! A old saying goes.... the best society is a society of which old men plant trees of which he will never set under the shade of....or something of that sorts  ;D even better if you aren't "old" yet and can watch em. No but seriously if you do it make it a big family day event and plant them together. Makes for fond memories, I find planting seedlings therapeutic, I don't rush planting them that's for sure. The DNR folks were a pleasure to deal with and helpful, I'd definitely talk to them.
A1

HemlockKing

That "atlantick" stuff must be working cause I've used it the last 2 days and have seen ticks everywhere but not on me or my clothes 8)
A1

farmfromkansas

I am rebuilding a strip of fence, first day I had a tick when getting home, so put some permethrin in my atv sprayer, along with 15 gallons of water, and sprayed about a 10' strip on the side of the fence I am working on, even had a shower of rain and still have not got another tick on me.  Asked the coop how this stuff works, they said it is a contact spray, so must have wiped out the tick population on that strip.  Sure they will be back. Thinking about spraying my shoes, socks and pant legs with that stuff, and letting it dry before wearing.
Most everything I enjoy doing turns out to be work

John Mc

Quote from: mike_belben on April 27, 2021, 10:04:05 PM
Sawyer is a spray for clothing that has .5% permethrin. Once it dries youre good for like 6 or 7 washes.  But its fairly spendy compared to the livestock and horse sprays at the co-op or ag store that are up to 10% permethrin.  

Its not safe around cats btw.  
Once it dries onto your clothing, it won't harm cats In the liquid stage, it's extremely toxic to cats.
If you are spraying clothing, make sure you by the water-based stuff. The oil-based is nasty on your clothing.

This is what I use when spraying my own clothing:
Amazon.com : JT Eaton 209-W1G Kills Bedbugs, Ticks and Mosquitoes Water Based Spray with Sprayer Attachment, 1-Gallon : Insect Repellents : Garden & Outdoor
It lasts through about 5 washes.

I also use a lot of factory-treated clothing, which lasts through about 70 washes. I've had really good luck with that stuff, and it's nice not having to think about "when was the last time I sprayed this stuff. Try Insect Shield for clothing (they regularly have sales with 20% discounts. Occasionally have some items on 30% discount.) Stay away from their socks - they wear out too quickly. Someone on here pointed me to Farm-to-Feet No Fly Zone Socks, which I've been very happy with.
If the only tool you have is a hammer, you tend to see every problem as a nail.   - Abraham Maslow

HemlockKing

It's been 3 days since I've seen a tick on me and it's not for lack ticks because I've been seeing them everywhere on my jerry cans, took handles, tires etc, I think that atlantick stuff is working, it stinks horribly so I don't blame the ticks  :D :D
Will continue using and see what happens, it's natural stuff so you can lather it on your skin without worry, I also spray my chainsaw leggings and boots heavy.
A1

John Mc

Quote from: HemlockKing on May 02, 2021, 01:48:03 AM
It's been 3 days since I've seen a tick on me and it's not for lack ticks because I've been seeing them everywhere on my jerry cans, took handles, tires etc, I think that atlantick stuff is working, it stinks horribly so I don't blame the ticks  :D :D
Will continue using and see what happens, it's natural stuff so you can lather it on your skin without worry, I also spray my chainsaw leggings and boots heavy.
I'm glad you found something that works for you. I've tried a few all natural repellents in the past. I found some of them worked, some of them didn't seem to do much. For the ones that worked, I never found one that would last through an 8 hour day. Some of them only lasted 2 or 3 hours, then I had to reapply. (I'm mostly judging by when the mosquitos would start biting again, but it did seem similar for ticks as well.)
How long are you finding the Atlantick stuff is working for you?
If the only tool you have is a hammer, you tend to see every problem as a nail.   - Abraham Maslow

HemlockKing

I'm can still strongly smell it after 5-6 hours of applying, i just give my pant legs a couple squirts after lunch and head out, seems to be working. Most of the ticks I get climb up my boots to my waist line and that's where they usually get in if my shirt has come untucked 
A1

John Mc

Quote from: HemlockKing on May 02, 2021, 08:14:32 AM
I'm can still strongly smell it after 5-6 hours of applying, i just give my pant legs a couple squirts after lunch and head out, seems to be working. Most of the ticks I get climb up my boots to my waist line and that's where they usually get in if my shirt has come untucked
I was finding the same thing: I was regularly finding multiple ticks that had crawled up my pants just about every time I was out in the woods. About 6 or 7 years ago, I tried spraying the pants & T shirts I used in the woods with permethrin. I found if I was wearing and washing them once a week, I could easily go a month or more without respraying them, and I rarely found ticks on me (if I did, it was more likely on my bare arms).
I switched to wearing the factory pretreated T-shirts and pants when working in the woods, so I don't have to keep track of when something was last sprayed. I've had equally good results from that. Unless it's really hot out, I've started wearing long sleeved T-shirts.
I've had too many friends and relatives who have had serious complications from Lyme, Anaplasmosis, and other tick-borne diseases to take chances.

mike_belben

So id used up the sawyer permethrin and its $9.97 for 12oz at walmart.com.   83 cents an ounce. Half percent permethrin, scent free.

I bought this for the new dog, 1quart for a bit under $7.   22 cents an ounce or about 1/4th the price of sawyer.  Tenth percent permethrin plus some other stuff. Bit of citronella scent.  Direct application on dogs and horses.

Few days ago i hosed a pair of muck boots and pants with the last of the sawyer from the knees down before running out.  I was precisely 1.1 miles into dense deer woods around a 200 acre hayfield for most of a day bushwacking.

Untreated shirt, socks and drawers.  Had nothing really bothering me while in the woods.  Found 5 ticks by bedtime, no seedticks and maybe 1 or two chigger bites.  Pretty good considering without treatment it probably woulda been 10 grown ticks, 100 seed ticks and 30 to 50 chigger bites, these woods are unbearable.  A summer hell.

Well i hosed me and boy's pants fully with the horse spray then let dry on the clothesline.  we spent the day in the same spot, just treated pants.  Neither of us had any ticks at all during or after.  No flies or skeeters either.  Deer would smell it from a mile but thats not a concern for now.  Never thought it could be this good.

Dont get it on you or put it on damp.  I know sawyer didnt get a fair performance evaluation but its a lot more $ and higher permethrin toxicity than needed apparently.
Praise The Lord

HemlockKing

Good to hear it's working mike. I haven't a tick on my skin since I started using the atlantick stuff, I seriously had my doubts but it seems good. I actually watched one climb up my pant leg a bit and then just let go and fall onto the ground. Minefield of stinky lemon grass for them  :D
A1

HemlockKing

I put that stuff all over my skin after a shower and I got the most painful burning all over my body, would not recommend doing that
A1

mike_belben

Quote from: HemlockKing on May 06, 2021, 06:04:55 AM
I put that stuff all over my skin after a shower and I got the most painful burning all over my body, would not recommend doing that
The atlantick or something i mentioned?  
Praise The Lord

HemlockKing

Quote from: mike_belben on May 06, 2021, 06:17:30 AM
Quote from: HemlockKing on May 06, 2021, 06:04:55 AM
The atlantick or something i mentioned?  
Atlantick. Works fine otherwise, just for some reason after a shower if you apply it burns, probably something to do with pores being more open? I dunno I'm no expert in much :D
A1

John Mc

Quote from: mike_belben on May 06, 2021, 05:56:22 AMSo id used up the sawyer permethrin and its $9.97 for 12oz at walmart.com. 83 cents an ounce. Half percent permethrin, scent free. I bought this for the new dog, 1quart for a bit under $7. 22 cents an ounce or about 1/4th the price of sawyer. Tenth percent permethrin plus some other stuff. Bit of citronella scent. Direct application on dogs and horses.

The gallon jug I linked to earlier in this thread comes to just under 24ยข per ounce. It works really well. (Jug comes with a trigger pump spray nozzle as well.)

Quote from: mike_belben on May 06, 2021, 05:56:22 AMDon't get it on you or put it on damp. I know sawyer didnt get a fair performance evaluation but its a lot more $ and higher permethrin toxicity than needed apparently.

Actually, 1/2% Permethrin/Pyrethrin is the recommended concentration for spraying on clothing. Both have very low toxicity to mammals, since they can break it down quickly and easily. I would not take a bath in the stuff or purposely apply it, but it's FAR less toxic to human than the DEET-based stuff people use every day. The main reason it's recommended not to spray on skin is that your body breaks it down so quickly that it will not be very effective. (The exception is cats, which lack the enzyme needed to break it down, so it's toxic to them. The spray is no longer toxic to cats after it dries onto your clothing - my cat has been found sleeping on my treated clothing on numerous occasions. However, you do need to keep them away from clothing while the spray is still wet.)

The horse spray Mike listed has a combined concentration of 0.1% Pyrethrin/Permethrin. It works with this lower concentration because it also contains Piperonyl Butoxide. This is not a pesticide - it won't kill insects on it's own. It's a pesticide synergist - it helps pesticides work better by blocking some enzymes in insects which can help them break down insecticides, so it gives the Pyrethrin/Permethrin more time to work.

FYI: Pyrethrin and Permethrin is the same thing. Pyrethrin comes from Chysanthemum flowers. Pyrethroids are man-made versions of pyrethrins. Permethrin is one of those man-made copies of the natural insecticide.

mike_belben

Thanks for the info john.  I dunno the why but i know it worked.  Typically id have found a few live ones carried in on my clothing by now which i havent. Pretty amazed actually. 
Praise The Lord

John Mc

Either way seems to work well: half percent pyrethrin/permethrin or some lesser concentration with the Piperonyl Butoxide. I've never tried the latter, but heard it works well. I've been really impressed with the pyrethrin/permithrin treatment, whether I spray it on my clothing, or buy the pretreated clothing.

mike_belben

I will definitely acknowledge that i have not given Sawyer a fair shake.  Due to the number of boots and pants i initially wanted to spray with one bottle. 

With the horse spray i am a lot more generous and really saturate the fabrics because i bought the bottle for a dog i ended up not needing to use it on.  the pill she gets is so good.  So im hosing the horse spray onto my pants saying "use it up" in my head. 

This is the first spring that i havent had ticks from the yard on me even when wearing untreated clothes.  I think the two dogs now are collecting and chemically killing all the ticks thanks to nexguard spectra.  The new mutt also ran off or killed all the wild critters that used to visit so thats probably a factor. 
Praise The Lord

mike_belben

yesterday the boy and i were back in the deer woods working the ground for hours, wearing the same pants i treated, with no other changes or additional spraying.  again, no ticks or chigger bites.  im pretty amazed with the effectiveness of the cheap horse spray. did not treat anything but our pants. 
Praise The Lord

HemlockKing

I've been seeing ticks everywhere, I fueled the saw up set the jug on the ground, burned a tank, came back and 3 lone star ticks were on the thing. I had one in my jacket that was into the crevices of the cotton other than that I haven't had any(knock on wood probably have some on me now) . I'm already low on that bottle because I've just been hosing this stuff down before I head out. I will half to be more conservative but sure feels good to not have them jerks on you all the time
A1

HemlockKing

I read they can sense heat off a body and the co2 you exhale up to a few yards away... so I Magine I constantly have dozens of ticks around me waving their little arms at me to latch on. I experimented with one on the table and led it around wit my finger because it could sense it(they have no eyes), anyway I'm just going off, fun fact I guess, I hate the buggers! Burn everyone you find
A1

Tacotodd

That's what mosquitoes do. Body heat & CO2. Talk about nature finding a way!
Trying harder everyday.

Thank You Sponsors!