iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

Need of trailer deck for small utility trailer

Started by Tacotodd, May 31, 2021, 04:42:13 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Tacotodd

I'm  needing to replace my trailer decking on my small utility trailer that has a 4'x 12' usable cargo area. What woods do you think would be of sufficient decaying resistance for me to use. Rough cut 2"x12"x12'  is what it currently uses x4pcs. I'm planning on keeping it well lubed to help prevent rot and decay, and if needed for helping someone for moving their stuff from one residence to another, the people will have to understand the potential problems associated with the use of it. I'm just looking for something that will last about 20yrs+. I don't really mind doing the replacement type of work on something like this, but it's never going to be something that I really enjoy doing. I only wish to do it one time. It was originally done about 15yrs ago and I'd really like it to last longer. 

So my question is, what would you folks pick for use?
Trying harder everyday.

stavebuyer

I'd be tempted to use 2x6 vs 2x12 to resist cupping and would also probably open up more species such as Red cedar, Osage Orange, and Yellow Locust which could be hard to source in 2x12. Any of the above followed by White Oak would be my choices for weather resistance. 4x12 deck sort of eliminates heavy equipment hauling and strength concerns.

For a 4x12 I'd go cedar for light weight and ease of working.

Chuck White

I have a 6x12 with 12" side rails, and about 15 years ago I replaced the deck with 6/4 Tamarack!

I installed it right off my FIL's mill, that June, then oiled it with used motor oil in September and about 2 years later I oiled it again!

It is just now showing a couple of weak spots.
~Chuck~  Cooks Cat Claw sharpener and single tooth setter.  2018 Chevy Silverado and 2021 Subaru Ascent.
With basic mechanical skills and the ability to read you can maintain a Woodmizer  LT40!

Southside

Trailer decking can be a funny world.  Few times a year I will get a call for 2x24-20' white oak for trailer decking - "has to be nice, don't want any knots and such, oh and dry" - OK, here is the price for your FAS trailer decking that will be used to haul trash to the dump - please call Brinks to arrange payment delivery at least 24 hours ahead of time.  Or, you can go with 2x6-10', spend an hour extra on installation and avoid the fee Brinks will charge to deliver payment....
Franklin buncher and skidder
JD Processor
Woodmizer LT Super 70 and LT35 sawmill, KD250 kiln, BMS 250 sharpener and setter
Riehl Edger
Woodmaster 725 and 4000 planner and moulder
Enough cows to ensure there is no spare time.
White Oak Meadows

dgdrls

My last small single axle trailer 6x12
I decked with aluminum bleacher seat

Worked well, no rot, no oil.

D

Patrick NC

I get a lot of calls for white oak trailer decking. Seems to be the standard for most people around here. Some equipment haulers use apitong because it's about half the weight, but it's kinda spendy. 
Norwood HD36, Husky 372xp xtorq, 550xp mk2 , 460 rancher, Kubota l2501, Case 1845 skid steer,

gspren

Is the trailer normally stored indoors or out? The last small trailer I redecked I used oak 1" x 8" and use a mixture or diesel and used oil. Since the trailer is indoors when not in use the lifespan is nearly forever. The full 1" thick is plenty strong without adding too much weight.
Stihl 041, 044 & 261, Kubota 400 RTV, Kubota BX 2670, Ferris Zero turn

farmfromkansas

I am tempted to try cottonwood for a trailer deck.  Treated YP has about a 10 year life, at least on my trailer, and find cottonwood an interesting wood.  Don't cut one down and leave it on the ground, saw it right away and keep the boards off the ground. Keeping it off the ground seems to add life.  Maybe it doesn't like bacteria.
Most everything I enjoy doing turns out to be work

mike_belben

free of heart white oak is pretty easy to procure and will outlast red oak.  if red oak is totally free of heartwood, kept clear of leaves and stored in the sun tilted up for good runoff and oiled anually.. you might get 20 years out of it for much less money than white oak.  

with bad heartwood cracks and knots and no oiling at all, i am at 7 years with red oak and the boards are just starting to split at the hearts into two separate planks.  the sapwood is still absolutely fine.

and btw.. theres no need for 2" thick on a 4x12 trailer.  i could pile road ranger trannies and bobcats all over my 1.75" deck and miss all the crossties with no issue.  its more money and weight for no real gain. longer hardware too. 
Praise The Lord

Tacotodd

Lemme measure better & get back w/y'all. I'm outside trying to decipher a questionable chainsaw (mine since brand ne 9mo ago)
Trying harder everyday.

firefighter ontheside

I can only cut 10' long so I cannot cut boards for my 16' trailer.  If I could I would use white oak.  Its readily available to me and is resistant to rot, as opposed to red oak.  Also, it would be much more resistant to damage than the treated YP that's on there.  Just today I was thinking if there was a way I could go back with shorter boards than 16 footers.  As far as treating the wood, I would use linseed oil if it were me.
Woodmizer LT15
Kubota Grand L4200
Stihl 025, MS261 and MS362
2017 F350 Diesel 4WD
Kawasaki Mule 4010
1998 Dodge 3500 Flatbed

mike_belben

When you strip it weld in another crosstie to support short planks. 
Praise The Lord

Tacotodd

The current decking is definitely 2x12 and it has 2 supports and the ends. I don't know what kind of wood is currently on it, I just know that it's going to need replacement soon, at the very least 1 board, but if I'm going to be doing 1 then I will probably do all 4.
Trying harder everyday.

barbender

Are they full 2x12, or dressed (1.5" thick)?  The only thing I've sold full 2" for is old lowboy decks.
Too many irons in the fire

Tacotodd

Dressed, but I can do rough cut if it's cut to that same dimension. I wasn't trying to be misleading in my original post. It WAS 3:45 this AM after all. Please forgive 🤭
Trying harder everyday.

firefighter ontheside

Quote from: mike_belben on May 31, 2021, 12:50:13 PM
When you strip it weld in another crosstie to support short planks.
Thats a good idea.  I have one broken board that I would like to replace right now.  I will probably just buy a new treated 2x8 and then down the road do what you suggested.  Maybe even put 2 new crossties in so I can alternate between short and long boards like you would on a deck.
Woodmizer LT15
Kubota Grand L4200
Stihl 025, MS261 and MS362
2017 F350 Diesel 4WD
Kawasaki Mule 4010
1998 Dodge 3500 Flatbed

charles mann

I need to re-deck my 30' gn myself. I called around for material and shipping cost for apatong. Several yrs ago, the material cost was $500 more than the cost of treated yp 2x6s. I havent priced either since the gold prices for lumber. 

Iv got access to plenty of red oak, so im thinking ill just mill it and replace. 
Temple, Tx
Fire Fighting and Heavy Lift Helicopter Mech
Helicopter and Fixed Wing Pilot

mike_belben

Apitong is not worth the money unless you are getting paid to haul commercial and the loads are putting you right at the GVW limit.  If an aluminum trailer makes sense then apitong will too because theyre peas in a pod.

It still rots and still busts and yes ive pulled one and fixed it too.  Just more expensive busted wood when you do break it imo.
Praise The Lord

Southside

Is that the darkish stuff on flat beds that has a rabbit joint to it?

Friend of mine brought me some to duplicate for him as he is rebuilding an older flat bed that hauls hay. 
Franklin buncher and skidder
JD Processor
Woodmizer LT Super 70 and LT35 sawmill, KD250 kiln, BMS 250 sharpener and setter
Riehl Edger
Woodmaster 725 and 4000 planner and moulder
Enough cows to ensure there is no spare time.
White Oak Meadows

21incher

I bought  my 7k pound 16 ft equipment trailer 22 years ago and it came with a 2 x 6 ( 1.5 x 5.5 ) pressure treated  ground  contact lumber deck. Still good today after all the years outside with no maintenance. 
Hudson HFE-21 on a custom trailer, Deere 4100, Kubota BX 2360, Echo CS590 & CS310, home built wood splitter, home built log arch, a logrite cant hook and a bread machine. And a Kubota Sidekick with a Defective Subaru motor.

mike_belben

I dont think ive ever seen it untreated or not fully used up, oil soaked etc.. and am not the right guy to name joints.  I dont know joinery.  The trailers were always hammered, boards splintered, busted, rounded off.  There was a few oem new trailer planks in the shop that were said to be apitong.  thats the standard for aluminum flats to stay light. We just filled in holes good enough to not break a leg.  It was probably only 4/4.

Im not saying it isnt good wood.  But it was known for being expensive and hard to find when 2x4s were 3 bucks.  The value just might not be there right now.  Especially for anyone who has acess to the resources of this forum.
Praise The Lord

barbender

I've seen mixed results with treated. Some has been great, other stuff has curled and twisted,lifting 4" off the deck.
Too many irons in the fire

Thank You Sponsors!