iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

Nyle Kiln sterilization

Started by Jstier, June 16, 2021, 11:12:32 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Jstier

Just finishing my first run, got my lumber down to 7-8%. I'm starting the sterilization and curious how long should it take my Kiln to reach 140-150.

Its a Nyle L53, my chamber is 10ft-8ft and 7ft tall. I just cranked it up last night from 120- 140 and this morning it was sitting at 132 degrees. Curious how long should I keep it in that range once I hit it. Slabs are 2in thick.

Sorry new to this and open to suggestions, tried to include much info as possible.

K-Guy

It's hard to say. It depends on how much insulation, how tight your building is and local weather conditions.
Nyle Service Dept.
A common mistake people make when trying to design something completely foolproof is to underestimate the ingenuity of complete fools.
- D. Adams

Southside

Also depends on how many BF of lumber are in there and the number of chickens you sacraficed. 
Franklin buncher and skidder
JD Processor
Woodmizer LT Super 70 and LT35 sawmill, KD250 kiln, BMS 250 sharpener and setter
Riehl Edger
Woodmaster 725 and 4000 planner and moulder
Enough cows to ensure there is no spare time.
White Oak Meadows

samandothers

K-Guy

That's because chickens are cheap like Southside!!  :D
Nyle Service Dept.
A common mistake people make when trying to design something completely foolproof is to underestimate the ingenuity of complete fools.
- D. Adams

Jstier

Well I've only sacrificed one chicken so guess I need another :) Also Stan after I talked to you and switched the baffling temp went back up to 135 and gaining. So if I keep the kiln at 130 I read 10-12 hours to sterilize? If I keep it at 140 can I do 5 hours? Are these numbers correct, or should I get the temps higher?

K-Guy

I recommend 140°F for 24 hours after you reach 140° for 4/4 wood. That guarantees that the internal temperature hits 133° for 45 minutes and that is the USDA requirement as far as I know.
Nyle Service Dept.
- D. Adams

Southside

I don't know the upper temp limit on a L53, but whatever it is I would get the chamber to that and hold it there for 24 hours.  I sterilize at 160 for 24 hours.  The last thing you want is a cold spot in the stack of lumber that was just cool enough for some Powder Post Beetles to enter your, or your customers, home.
Franklin buncher and skidder
JD Processor
Woodmizer LT Super 70 and LT35 sawmill, KD250 kiln, BMS 250 sharpener and setter
Riehl Edger
Woodmaster 725 and 4000 planner and moulder
Enough cows to ensure there is no spare time.
White Oak Meadows

Jstier

Quote from: K-Guy on June 16, 2021, 04:00:58 PM

I recommend 140°F for 24 hours after you reach 140° for 4/4 wood. That guarantees that the internal temperature hits 133° for 45 minutes and that is the USDA requirement as far as I know.
Hey Stan left support a message. Unit is still shutting down right at about 135 degrees. It acts like it's going to start up again but it just cycles like it's trying to kick in. The fans won't even run. All baffles are out. Not sure what would be causing it now. Compressor switch is off. Does it matter what the wet bulb sensor is set at for this part of the process. 

K-Guy

@Jstier 
If the compressor switch is off, then the wb setting doesn't matter as the compressor is off. I'll call you later to discuss the fans issue.
Nyle Service Dept.
- D. Adams

Jstier

Yes the compressor switch is off. 

Thanks I have the kiln off right now because it seemed like it was struggling. I took the side off if we need to check out anything on it.  

K-Guy

@Jstier can you call me at 800-777-6953 ext 212?
Nyle Service Dept.
- D. Adams

Thank You Sponsors!