iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

Two Big Oaks

Started by Magicman, July 02, 2021, 03:07:39 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Magicman

During a recent storm a large Oak blew over and lodged in my neighbor's Oak.  This morning both of them hit the ground.
https://youtu.be/_KZNXcWDJe0

What a mess.

The neighbor's tree was 48" but mine was only 36".

Did I say a mess?

My tree looking toward the root ball.

My root ball is over 12' tall but I ain't standing there for a picture.  They will use a skidder and tip it back over.
Knothole Sawmill, LLC     '98 Wood-Mizer LT40SuperHydraulic   WM Million BF Club Member   WM Pro Sawyer Network

It's Weird being the Same Age as Old People

Never allow your "need" to make money to exceed your "desire" to provide quality service.....The Magicman

HemlockKing

Yup wouldn't wanna stand near that root ball! Gigantic Venus fly trap! 

A1

SwampDonkey

Massive trees the both of them. I would have to agree, stand clear. Looks like that one pulled up some old iron. ;)
"No amount of belief makes something a fact." James Randi

1 Thessalonians 5:21

2020 Polaris Ranger 570 to forward firewood, Husqvarna 555 XT Pro, Stihl FS560 clearing saw and continuously thinning my ground, on the side. Grow them trees. (((o)))

Tacotodd

Probably a t-post type of fencing material, but still, old iron 🤨
Trying harder everyday.

Ventryjr

Fingers crossed, that there is no old iron in those logs! 
-2x belsaw m14s and a Lane circle mill.

cutterboy

Magic, are you going to saw them up on your mill? Four feet wide might be a bit much for your mill.
Thanks for the pictures and video.
To underestimate old men and old machines is the folly of youth. Frank C.

Satamax

I'd love to find red oak here in France, to cut. I love the banana smell. 
French CD4 sawmill. Latil TL 73. Self moving hydraulic crane. Iveco daily 4x4 lwb dead as of 06/2020. Replaced by a Brimont TL80 CSA.

HemlockKing

Quote from: Satamax on July 03, 2021, 06:34:28 AM
The mighty oak was once just a nut. My favourite hardwood tree. I’ve got them everywhere here just gotta battle deer eating the saplings and porcupines girdling the older ones lol
A1

GullyBog

My hat's off to the man holding the saw
There might be a little dust on the butt log, but don't let if fool ya bout what's inside

tacks Y

Looks like you can work closer to home for a day or two. Maybe some QTR sawn?

Resonator

QuoteDid I say a mess?
Fiber pull like spaghetti? :D
Under bark there's boards and beams, somewhere in between.
Cuttin' while its green, through a steady sawdust stream.
I'm chasing the sawdust dream.

Proud owner of a Wood-Mizer 2017 LT28G19

Satamax

Quote from: HemlockKing on July 03, 2021, 07:09:35 AM
The mighty oak was once just a nut. My favourite hardwood tree. I've got them everywhere here just gotta battle deer eating the saplings and porcupines girdling the older ones lol
Well, 50 in two years, not the time to sow. No kids either. I'll carry on sawing what someone else planted! 
French CD4 sawmill. Latil TL 73. Self moving hydraulic crane. Iveco daily 4x4 lwb dead as of 06/2020. Replaced by a Brimont TL80 CSA.

SwampDonkey

There is oak in my area, but not abundant. This is maple country. There is one on the edge of the woodlot by the road that the bears break limbs off every fall for the nuts (bear nest).
"No amount of belief makes something a fact." James Randi

1 Thessalonians 5:21

2020 Polaris Ranger 570 to forward firewood, Husqvarna 555 XT Pro, Stihl FS560 clearing saw and continuously thinning my ground, on the side. Grow them trees. (((o)))

sealark37

The hard part of this job will be getting the log on the mill.

HemlockKing

Quote from: Satamax on July 03, 2021, 12:05:55 PM
Quote from: HemlockKing on July 03, 2021, 07:09:35 AM
The mighty oak was once just a nut. My favourite hardwood tree. I've got them everywhere here just gotta battle deer eating the saplings and porcupines girdling the older ones lol
Well, 50 in two years, not the time to sow. No kids either. I'll carry on sawing what someone else planted!
Imagine if you lived to 90. Another 42 years of life. If you have white tail the deer would get what is sowed anyway lol 
A1

HemlockKing

Quote from: SwampDonkey on July 03, 2021, 12:13:35 PM
There is oak in my area, but not abundant. This is maple country. There is one on the edge of the woodlot by the road that the bears break limbs off every fall for the nuts (bear nest).
I got patch of oak forrests here. Lots of red maple. I think I seen just 1 sugar maple yet but I still have 50+ acres to sort through. I was hoping I had some and thought I did but turned out to be all red maple. I like red maple too but the sugar maple obviously is better tapping and lives much longer so Is preferred. 
A1

Magicman

Those two Red Oaks were out my back window here at home and the T-fence posts were simply lying on the ground.  I had been using them in my little garden but had "lost" them in the leaves.  :-X

I had no reason to want to saw them, no need for the lumber, nor any way to handle the stems/limbs.  My neighbor and I wanted them gone so we each paid $350 to make them disappear.  The logger felled, bucked, and skidded the logs out and he will deposit the usable limbs in my yard for firewood.  The logs are his and will go to the sawmill.  It was a win-win-win for all three of us.
Knothole Sawmill, LLC     '98 Wood-Mizer LT40SuperHydraulic   WM Million BF Club Member   WM Pro Sawyer Network

Never allow your "need" to make money to exceed your "desire" to provide quality service.....The Magicman

Rhodemont

Hope you put a time capsule under that root slab before the loggers let it slap back down.
Woodmizer LT35HD    JD4720 with Norse350 winch
Stihl 362, 039, Echo CS-2511T,  CS-361P and now a CSA 300 C-O

Magicman

Nope, I wasn't getting close to it, and it came back down sometime yesterday.

I am glad that it is back home.  

Thank You Sponsors!