iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

Reclaiming a Woodland Pond

Started by Jeff, July 08, 2021, 07:36:26 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Jeff

This little pond was built early in Pete and Lynda's ownership of the property. It has a good overflow system that really works well. It was also built with a wide shallow animal ramp on the south side of it.
This is basically just an enlarged low spot in the natural drainage of the property. I noted last spring how well the drain delivered high water through the drain at the other side bottom. That road on the pond use to be the main way to get to the back field when it was wet.

Over time, the pond just grew up and into just a place for critters to get a drink if it got real dry. I need those mounds of dirt around the pond to help on unknown puddle problems if they occur and a safe slope around the pond to be able to mow and to dredge the debris from the pond. I need to find or build a rake.

Reclaiming a Forgotten Woodland Wildlife Watering Pond in the Upper Pennisula - YouTube
Just call me the midget doctor.
Forestry Forum Founder and Chief Cook and Bottle Washer.

Commercial circle sawmill sawyer in a past life for 25yrs.
Ezekiel 22:30

Chuck White

That's quite a project Jeff!

Lookin' good

Scratch around in the dirt, and it doesn't take long for deer tracks to appear!

I was quite impressed by that machine.... Nice!
~Chuck~  Cooks Cat Claw sharpener and single tooth setter.  2018 Chevy Silverado and 2021 Subaru Ascent.
With basic mechanical skills and the ability to read you can maintain a Woodmizer  LT40!

Hilltop366

I could use one of those machines for a couple of hours on my camp trail, I wonder how they do in granite rocks. :-\

bitternut

I was waiting for when he was going to dunk the machine into the pond completely. :o Guess the operator knows his stuff. Good job cleaning up Jeff. Always nice to have access to your pond.

Yeah, that machine would work great on maintaining trails also. They don't come cheap though.

SwampDonkey

Sure does a better job then ones I seen used. He's putting that thing into the dirt to remove any 'spears'. ;D The reason for the 'spears' I guess is that up here where they used it, you're into granite and glacial sand as soon as you make ground contact, far from being garden soil. ;)

"No amount of belief makes something a fact." James Randi

1 Thessalonians 5:21

2020 Polaris Ranger 570 to forward firewood, Husqvarna 555 XT Pro, Stihl FS560 clearing saw and continuously thinning my ground, on the side. Grow them trees. (((o)))

Jeff

Ill have some video of his doing my trails and making new ones. Ill have to get creatve on how to present them as on the trails, you either needed to be behind him or in front of him, and that aint a machine to get close to. I was behind trees and such sticking the camera out hoping it was pointed in the right direction! He found some big rocks on mine we did not know existed previously. That thing roto tills and levels some too.
 For $1100 total for the trails and pond area I had more accomplished than I could ever do on my own as it would be growing up behind me.

jb616

Good to know. I need to have some of my Popples mulched next year to promote regeneration (deer food). 

Magicman

It's good to watch that knowing that you now have the stamina to do what you want to do instead of just wishin'.  thumbs-up
Knothole Sawmill, LLC     '98 Wood-Mizer LT40SuperHydraulic   WM Million BF Club Member   WM Pro Sawyer Network

It's Weird being the Same Age as Old People

Never allow your "need" to make money to exceed your "desire" to provide quality service.....The Magicman

Peter Drouin

A&P saw Mill LLC.
45' of Wood Mizer, cutting since 1987.
License NH softwood grader.

Marty

Great job Jeff. Enjoyed the the vid. That Mulcher made quick work of all the overgrowth. 

trimguy

ReggieT

Quote from: Jeff on July 08, 2021, 07:36:26 PM
This little pond was built early in Pete and Lynda's ownership of the property. It has a good overflow system that really works well. It was also built with a wide shallow animal ramp on the south side of it.
This is basically just an enlarged low spot in the natural drainage of the property. I noted last spring how well the drain delivered high water through the drain at the other side bottom. That road on the pond use to be the main way to get to the back field when it was wet.

Over time, the pond just grew up and into just a place for critters to get a drink if it got real dry. I need those mounds of dirt around the pond to help on unknown puddle problems if they occur and a safe slope around the pond to be able to mow and to dredge the debris from the pond. I need to find or build a rake.

Reclaiming a Forgotten Woodland Wildlife Watering Pond in the Upper Pennisula - YouTube
This was more than impressive. I have not been in as good of shape as you are in 25 years!! Awesome job!

Jeff

Quote have not been in as good of shape as you are in 25 years!! Awesome job!
Me either! 35 even.

Jeff

Quote from: Marty on July 10, 2021, 10:45:37 AM
Great job Jeff. Enjoyed the the vid. That Mulcher made quick work of all the overgrowth.
@Marty, I know what you were truly impressed with was that 8n working off the trailer ;)

Jeff

Didn't take long to get some activity on the pond!

Old Greenhorn

I saw that first photo and the caption that popped into my head was" "Hey! Where the heck did this come from?!"
Tom Lindtveit, Woodsman Forest Products
Oscar 328 Band Mill, Husky 350, 450, 562, & 372 (Clone), Mule 3010, and too many hand tools. :) Retired and trying to make a living to stay that way. NYLT Certified.
OK, maybe I'm the woodcutter now.
I work with wood, There is a rumor I might be a woodworker.

mike_belben

Years ago a friend said a chainsaw is a deer's dinner bell and i didnt quite believe or understand until i did it for myself.  One of my greatest satisfactions to bump a daytime doe 15 feet from the features ive created for them by "killing" the ecosystem with my evil saw. 

Great work jeff.
Praise The Lord

Old Greenhorn

When I had my mill down in the woods 2 years ago and would take a tree for milling within a couple hundred feet of the mill there was a doe I called 'Jenny' who would show up and start munching on the tops while I was still bucking the tree. Sometimes she would bring her girl friends too. Since the mill was in the same area and sounded not unlike a chainsaw, she would often browse right through my mill area while I was sawing. She scared the crap out of me a couple of times as I was focused on the log and cuts and would look up and she'd be 10 feet away. The last season the mill was down there I think she died after birthing (is this a 'thing'?) and I saw her fawn alone for several days so I kept cruising around looking for the fawn after I found Jenny's carcass. I found the fawn from time to time and eventually she twinned up with another fawn and doe. A cute pair they made and were healthy the last time I saw them.
 I had a buddy with 100 acres who cut firewood off his own land for years. His dozer, which he skidded with, was the dinner bell. He always saw deer as he was headed out to cut. During the season and because he had no time to take days off for 'hunting' he would put his son up on the dozer hood with a 30-30 and they would take the first good meat animal they saw, often as the dozer crawled along. It saved time. Field dress it and throw it on top of the hitch for the trip back. It was all about the meat.
 Whitetails are all about learned habits. I just wish I could unlearn the habit they have of coming in my fenced in yard to sample the goodies, then forgetting how to get out. I never lived in Mule deer country for longer than a week at a time, I wonder what they are like. I do know that where I did see them, they didn't seem to care much about people and those boys and girls are BIG. They would browse within 30 feet of us in a campsite above 6,000 ft.
 But yeah Jeff, that should feel very good seeing that photo. Good on ya mate.
Oscar 328 Band Mill, Husky 350, 450, 562, & 372 (Clone), Mule 3010, and too many hand tools. :) Retired and trying to make a living to stay that way. NYLT Certified.

Peter Drouin

Good job boss. All they need now is a salt lick ;)
A&P saw Mill LLC.
45' of Wood Mizer, cutting since 1987.
License NH softwood grader.

Jeff

Took 2 hours to upload a few seconds. I spent two hours in there pulling cat tail roots today. Starting to look like a pond

short pond update - YouTube

Old Greenhorn

Holy shoot! That pond looks great, A lot better than the other videos showed. Now I am starting to feel like I made a mistake not following you up on Sunday for a quick look. This place is going to be like a playground as you work through the projects you have planned.

Jeff

Jeff

Tacotodd

It's just getting bigger all the time. Keep it up and you'll have another GREAT LAKE :D
Trying harder everyday.

thecfarm

Model 6020-20hp Manual Thomas bandsaw,TC40A 4wd 40 hp New Holland tractor, 450 Norse Winch, Heatmor 400 OWB,YCC 1978-79

Thank You Sponsors!