iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

Logging Railroads of the Sierras

Started by Magicman, July 13, 2021, 08:31:56 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Magicman

Knothole Sawmill, LLC     '98 Wood-Mizer LT40SuperHydraulic   WM Million BF Club Member   WM Pro Sawyer Network

It's Weird being the Same Age as Old People

Never allow your "need" to make money to exceed your "desire" to provide quality service.....The Magicman

WV Sawmiller

Pretty neat video. Reminds me of rail cars loaded with tropical logs I saw in Cameroon in West Africa but they would usually only have a few car loads and not the number shown here - not whole trainloads. I do remember some so big a single log was all they could load on a car. I would not want to have been working around the loading yard where that operator was using the sky line rigging system. He looked pretty dangerous with logs bouncing and swinging all over the place. I guess they valued production over safety at the time.
Howard Green
WM LT35HDG25(2015) , 2011 4WD F150 Ford Lariat PU, Kawasaki 650 ATV, Stihl 440 Chainsaw, homemade logging arch (w/custom built rear log dolly), JD 750 w/4' wide Bushhog brand FEL

Dad always said "You can shear a sheep a bunch of times but you can only skin him once

Resonator

At first I thought it was a video about a model railroad, until I saw people moving around! :o
Reminds me of what they did here in northern Wisconsin a century ago, hundreds of miles of twisty railroad lines leading back into the woods to get the timber out.
Under bark there's boards and beams, somewhere in between.
Cuttin' while its green, through a steady sawdust stream.
I'm chasing the sawdust dream.

Proud owner of a Wood-Mizer 2017 LT28G19

wisconsitom

It is thought the steepest RR grades ever-in the world-were some logging narrow-gauge lines in Upper Michigan's Ontonagon area.  Long-gone, of course.
Ask me about hybrid larch!

Old saw fixer

Stihl FG 2, 036 Pro, 017, HT 132, MS 261 C-M, MSA 140 C-B, MS 462 C-M, MS 201 T C-M
Echo CS-2511T, CS-3510
Logrite Cant Hook (with log stand), and Hookaroon

hacknchop

Thank you for sharing that was very entertaining and educational.
Often wrong never indoubt

Tacotodd

Happy Birthday MM. Another for the books.
Trying harder everyday.

Thank You Sponsors!