iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

Shop furniture

Started by metalspinner, August 03, 2021, 09:16:18 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Walnut Beast

Looks great! Good job 👍 

Crusarius

That does not look like any shop I have been in. That looks great.

metalspinner

I took advantage of being caught up with work to finish these shop projects. 
Almost one year ago I started this little bench and here we are, finally, with it done. Well, almost. 😆
Just need to put a finish on it. 

And the big cubby cabinet is getting close, too. The doors and drawers are done!

A sharp eye might notice the walnut on this cabinet front is European Walnut. Not our Black Walnut. 
That's what I had available in enough matching quantity and thickness from my butcher block remnants pile. The cabinet still needs some sort of top moulding or crown. I'll get to it someday. 🙄

I do what the little voices in my wife's head tell me to do.

Larry

The bench and cabinets look great and so does your shop......but I don't see any sawdust or cobwebs.  Ya want me to send ya some? :D :D :D
Larry, making useful and beautiful things out of the most environmental friendly material on the planet.

We need to insure our customers understand the importance of our craft.

Andries

Well, I'm ashamed to say that I've been working with 2x4 assembly tables and plywood sheets on a pair of saw horses for a workbench. This is inspiring.
Your work belongs in a Fine Woodworking magazine. Top notch work Metalspinner!
LT40G25
Ford 545D loader
Stihl chainsaws

WDH

Woodmizer LT40HDD35, John Deere 2155, Kubota M5-111, Kubota L2501, Nyle L53 Dehumidification Kiln, and a passion for all things with leafs, twigs, and bark.  hamsleyhardwood.com

GAB

All measurements are suggestive only. 🙄
To me this statement sounds like seat of the pants carpentry!
GAB
W-M LT40HDD34, SLR, JD 420, JD 950w/loader and Woods backhoe, V3507 Fransguard winch, Cordwood Saw, 18' flat bed trailer, and other toys.

metalspinner

Thanks for the kind words, guys. 

GAB, these pencil drawings really are just a way for me to get started. It's kind of hard for me to stick to a hard plan. These are just  mostly plywood cabinets, so I needed a cut list. 
But with furniture like the little bench, I usually design-on-the-fly.  Especially if I am using a natural edged piece. 

metalspinner

This one's quick. Another workbench. 
I really like these flat files. 

The top's about 6 foot long and 50" wide. 

Here are some bolsters that I used to both attach the top to the cabinets and raise it to the same level as the bench next to it. They are attached to the cabinet top with threaded dowel bolts. 

Tomorrow, I will make some angle iron brackets to connect the top to the bolsters. 

And my favorite drawer. 😊 there are all kinds of ideas in there waiting to be discovered. 

samandothers

Look like old drawing cabinets, back before CAD days.  Good use of the flat cabinets, I was wondering what you'd store in so many of them.  I guess you could store hardware there too.

metalspinner

These are perfect for the work that I do. I use lots of sheet cork in various thickness along with fiber material that comes in sheets. These are great for storing that along with patterns, materials, etc. 

I used to store my hand tools in them, too. But recently picked up a tool box for all of that. 

And a couple of drawers for my clicker press dies. There are some of these cabinets that are only 37" wide and I've been on the hunt for a couple of them. 

Larry

Your flat file storage is outstanding and the nice top makes them even more useful.  Wish I had a couple....and enough room for them! :D
Larry, making useful and beautiful things out of the most environmental friendly material on the planet.

We need to insure our customers understand the importance of our craft.

kantuckid

I thought I was organized...until metalspinner came along :D I'm not even close to him! 
Kan=Kansas;tuck=Kentucky;kid=what I'm not

Walnut Beast

It's great to be organized until you start working and need to get every tool out to do the project then you have to put everything back. One plus of being organized is you do know where your tools and supplies are

metalspinner

I manufacture about 40 different products for a music accessories company.
Each of these products requires patterns, molds, forms, tools, bits and pieces to aid assembly, etc.
So, for each of these products, I have  created "job boxes" that contain all of those items necessary to produce a run of products through different stages of completion. That way, I don't have to go run down a 5/16" nut driver for instance. It's already in the job box. And three of these boxes might contain a 5/16" nut driver.

That's what this big cabinet is for with all these boxes.

Here is a close up of four boxes used for one model we call the "Vintage Tone."

Some tools are generic and used across most of the products and they may get a special box.

The only tools that never leave my bench is this little knife and file.

Walnut Beast

Looks great and definitely makes things go smoothly when your organized and clean 💪

Thank You Sponsors!