The Forestry Forum is sponsored in part by:

iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Forestry Forum
Sponsored by:

TimberKing Sawmills

Toll Free 1-800-582-0470

LogRite Tools

Norwood Industries Inc.

Your source for Portable Sawmills, Edgers, Resaws, Sharpeners, Setters, Bandsaw Blades and Sawmill Parts

EZ Boardwalk Sawmills. More Saw For Less Money!

STIHLDealers.com sponsored by Northeast STIHL

Woodland Sawmills

Peterson Swingmills

KASCO SharpTech WoodMaxx Blades

Turbosawmill

Sawmill Exchange

Michigan Firewood, your BRUTE FORCE Authorized Dealer

Baker Products

ECHO-Bearcat

iDRY Wood Lumber Vacuum Drying for everyon

Nyle Kiln Dry Systems

Chainsawr, The Worlds Largest Inventory of Chainsaw Parts

Smith Sawmill Service

Author Topic: drying thin wood for coaster stock.  (Read 2033 times)

Offline K-Guy

• Share Post
    • http://www.nyle.com/
Re: drying thin wood for coaster stock.
« Reply #20 on: August 25, 2021, 09:34:44 AM »

" That's the problem with you, Butch, your always thinking"  smiley_clapping

Well done Doc.
Nyle Kiln Sales & Service
"He has all the virtues I dislike and none of
 the vices I admire." -Winston Churchill

Offline Crusarius

• Senior Member x2
  • Lost in....
    • Share Post
    • RockModified.com
« Reply #21 on: August 25, 2021, 02:22:25 PM »
That is looking a little more than a fly by night operation. Nice.

Offline JoshNZ

• Share Post
« Reply #22 on: August 25, 2021, 04:38:20 PM »
Quite the impressuve structure on its own haha. Would weight set on top of it not work just as well?

I've got a spiral head thicknesser arriving in October will be interested to see how well it works in comparison to knives in that regard.

My lady here has gotten into making coasters with funny covid quotes on them so I'll prob be doing something similar to this

Offline doc henderson

• Senior Member x2
  • Evil Prevails when Good Men Standby and Do Nothing
    • Share Post
« Reply #23 on: August 25, 2021, 08:21:59 PM »
I can pick this up and carry the whole stack.  it can fit in my fluid/blanket warmer so I can sterilize it if I want.  I will tape a second fan to reach the top of the stack.  I could make several sets, and stack them one on top of the other.  easier to handle.  when they are dry and sanded, I will dead stack them for later use.  21 deep, 24 wide, 36 inches tall.  prob. weighs about 20 pounds.  I had one thin one go wonky, but most are doing great.  I did not have it ready, so the thin sawn boards sat for a week and prob. started to dry on the edges.  overall pleased.  made some letter engravings for jimmy to frame as coasters,  did 6 across on a 4.5 x 24 inch strip of maple.  these will get 24 per sheet and the laser can do the shearing.
timberking B 2000, 277c track loader, PJ 32 foot gooseneck, 1976 F700 state dump truck, JD 850 tractor.  2007 Chevy 3500HD dually, home built log splitter 18 horse 28 gpm with 5 inch cylinder and 32 inch split range with conveyor 12 volt tarp motor

Offline doc henderson

• Senior Member x2
    • Share Post
« Reply #24 on: August 25, 2021, 08:25:39 PM »
thus the reason for not doing the weight.  I can crank the knobs every 12 hours and still move the assembly.  I plan to make a wrench to tighten them, as the little knobs were giving me a sore spot.  (boo hooo).  :) I would love to hear about the spiral head.  I thought about dropping the bottom rollers on my planer, but it is too hard to readjust.  requires Allen wrenches, dial indicator and wrench to set a nut on the eccentric.

about 20 bucks for the hardware and another 20 for the all thread.
timberking B 2000, 277c track loader, PJ 32 foot gooseneck, 1976 F700 state dump truck, JD 850 tractor.  2007 Chevy 3500HD dually, home built log splitter 18 horse 28 gpm with 5 inch cylinder and 32 inch split range with conveyor 12 volt tarp motor

Offline Larry

• Senior Member x2
    • Share Post
    • Copas Sawmill
« Reply #25 on: August 25, 2021, 09:20:26 PM »
With my Byrd Shelix I can plane down to .040 than it starts munching.  It will vary a little by species.  Sounds just like somebody eating potato chips when it starts munching, no real drama at all.

When I saw veneer I usually stop planing around .090 to .060.

I want to try the wide belt and see how it does abrasive planing.  Might be better than the planer.
Larry, making useful and beautiful things out of the most environmental friendly material on the planet.

We need to insure our customers understand the importance of our craft.

Offline JoshNZ

• Share Post
« Reply #26 on: August 25, 2021, 10:52:46 PM »
You could make a false floor for your planer doc. I have made thin strips for accents in projects before and planed down to 1-2mm with success when knives are sharp (I had to because planer didn't go that low). It might be my own head telling me this but I feel like I had better success when the end entering was cut at a slight angle rather than square, so that the knives engage progressively rather than one board-wide hit.

All I did was clamp a piece of MDF to the in+out feed tables, large enough to cover it all. I might've waxed it too I can't remember. You could route away a little relief for your rollers (I had a lunchbox planer back when I did that).

Offline doc henderson

• Senior Member x2
    • Share Post
« Reply #27 on: August 26, 2021, 01:21:29 AM »
my maple is not straight grained.  lots of figure and whirls of grain.  pretty but not great for the planer.  any grain that goes perpendicular to the face of the wood, cannot hold together, and flies into bits.  the 24 inch sander works well with 80 grit on front and 120 on back.  it has a wide belt to propel the sheet through.  I think the 18 inch wide makes the planer tough. and then the rollers that lift the ends, and I am sure the knives just bounce the center up and down.  I like the idea of the false bottom.  if my sheets were all the same size, I thought about a carrier board as well.

Offline metalspinner

• Senior Member x2
    • Share Post
« Reply #28 on: August 26, 2021, 01:45:16 PM »
Doc Henderson
You should really look into a spiral head. The wood you just described would slide right through my grizzly 20Ē and come out perfect on the out feed side. It really is amazing. I think in the past 7 years, Iíve rotated the inserts just twice. The carbide really stands up a long time.
I do what the little voices in my wife's head tell me to do.

Offline Crusarius

• Senior Member x2
  • Lost in....
    • Share Post
    • RockModified.com
« Reply #29 on: August 26, 2021, 02:00:28 PM »
I spent $380 on a WEN planer with a spiral head. it has been a very decent machine for the price. It only has HSS cutters but still performs very well. I also plane a bunch of stuff that is very figured. sometimes I end up flipping the board around to run it through the other direction trying to take the fuzz off.

I have been very happy with it. may be worth investing in just for a cheap option.

Offline WDH

• Forester
  • Administrator
  • April 1998 - August 2008
    • Share Post
    • hamsleyhardwood.com
« Reply #30 on: August 26, 2021, 02:24:11 PM »
You need a spiral head planer with the square carbide inserts.  
Woodmizer LT40HDD35, John Deere 2155, Kubota M5-111, Nyle L53 Dehumidification Kiln, and a passion for all things with leafs, twigs, and bark.  hamsleyhardwood.com

Offline Larry

• Senior Member x2
    • Share Post
    • Copas Sawmill
« Reply #31 on: August 26, 2021, 04:59:48 PM »
I should have put in my last post that I also use a bed board when planing the thin stuff.  Its just a melamine shelf board from one of the box stores.  I wax it with Johnson paste wax.  The melamine wears through pretty fast so I have to replace it every couple of years.

Larry, making useful and beautiful things out of the most environmental friendly material on the planet.

We need to insure our customers understand the importance of our craft.

Offline Crossroads

• Senior Member x2
  • letís make some sawdust
    • Share Post
    • Kevin Bales faith family farm and portable sawmill
« Reply #32 on: August 27, 2021, 12:00:07 AM »
Looks like a good setup Doc. Thanks for sharing 
2017 LT40 wide, Kubota l185dt, 2-036 stihl, 2001 Dodge 3500 5.9 Cummins, l8000 Ford dump truck, hr16 Terex excavator, Farmi logging winch, Valley je 2x24 edger, Gehl ctl65 skid steer

Offline doc henderson

• Senior Member x2
    • Share Post
« Reply #33 on: August 27, 2021, 12:36:36 AM »
had to crank it down an inch today, so I need a wrench for the knobs or maybe a drill adapted bit to turn them faster.

Online ljohnsaw

• Senior Member x2
  • Happily retired... Working harder than ever!
    • Share Post
« Reply #34 on: August 27, 2021, 02:13:32 AM »
so I need a wrench for the knobs
You have a band saw or jig saw?  Take a piece of thin ply and cut out the shape of the knob to make a custom "box" wrench!
John Sawicky

Just North-East of Sacramento...

SkyTrak 9038, Davis Little Monster backhoe, Case 16+4 Trencher, Home Built 42" capacity/32" cut Bandmill up to 54' long - using it all to build a timber frame cabin.

Offline doc henderson

• Senior Member x2
    • Share Post
« Reply #35 on: August 27, 2021, 03:59:21 AM »
that is a good idea but of course I have to make it harder.  so I plan to photo or scan the knob, and then cut out layers on the engraver.  cannot make it too easy.  I may put a handle with a spinner, or adapt it to an impact.  the bar clamps held better, but it was hard to turn the little knobs on this as tight as I wanted.

Offline kantuckid

• Senior Member x2
    • Share Post
« Reply #36 on: August 27, 2021, 03:41:33 PM »
Threads a tad "scientific"?  :D

If you cut thin, small dia. coaster sized cookies from Catalpa and made a set-up to sand them they'd air dry easily and that species almost never cracks to the heart. Plus it's got a nice lt brown tone too. I've used a bunch of it and never seen a crack-only some buggy stuff inside the logs at times. 
For coasters, given their small diameter when finished, there's also the notion to not fool with wide stock and it's inherent drying issues, especially when sawed thin and just table saw the thin strips then stack and dry them using bar clamps in an assembly of many pieces. 
 Some KS UV rays might do well to dry them fast? 
Kan=Kansas;tuck=Kentucky;kid=what I'm not

Offline doc henderson

• Senior Member x2
    • Share Post
« Reply #37 on: August 27, 2021, 05:20:00 PM »
I think there is a sweet spot for thickness of a cookie, relative to its diameter.  I had good luck with 3/4 inch thick cookies 10 to 12 inches in diameter.  for 4 inch diameter, I do ok with 1/4 inch.  the motivation for the 18 x 24 inch size is it maximizes my equipment.  when I have a project i am busy working up material  I am trying to have stock ready, so if someone has a wedding,  I can pull 8 or 9 sheets and do 24 to 30 coasters per sheet.  each sheet will take an hours to engrave and sheer.  I have made anywhere from 200 to 400 coasters for each wedding I have done.  I started out making a 4 x 4 inch blank.  engraving and then sanding the corners round.  I am trying to industrialize the process for fun.  I could even engrave, sand the whole sheet, then sheer them in the laser.  I cranked down the threaded knobs another half inch this am.  the sheet that are about 1/4 inch are strait, a few that we close to 1/8th, are wavy on the edge. so there is also a sweet spot here too.  after sawing, I got busy and had to build the jig, so the thin boards sat for a week.  looks like this thin wood easily gets under 10% in about 3 days in the shop.

Offline doc henderson

• Senior Member x2
    • Share Post
« Reply #38 on: August 27, 2021, 05:21:08 PM »
@kantuckid I love catalpa.
now that I have the jig, I think the key will be to saw it thin, put it right in the jig, turn on the fans and dry it fast.  dead stack it after sanding and clamp it flat.

Offline moodnacreek

• Senior Member x2
  • Sawin by the notches
    • Share Post
« Reply #39 on: August 27, 2021, 08:42:01 PM »
Thin boards dry too fast.  The way I have done it is to use thin dry sticks about 8" o.c. Thats a lot of sticks but without them real close the boards will buckle.

Share via delicious Share via digg Share via facebook Share via linkedin Share via pinterest Share via reddit Share via stumble Share via tumblr Share via twitter

question
Thin stock

Started by Bibbyman on Sawmills and Milling

8 Replies
Last post August 08, 2002, 08:21:56 PM
by woodman
xx
Drying Gun Stock Material

Started by 123maxbars on Drying and Processing

3 Replies
Last post February 27, 2019, 09:19:57 AM
by YellowHammer