iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

drying Bass Wood

Started by Charles, August 31, 2021, 10:06:12 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Charles

I have been trying to dry some 5" thick bass wood that has been air dried to about 14%
My kiln holds about 800 bd/ft and I use the Nyle L50 system. My moisture meter is a Delmhorst with the slide hammer attachment
I have the dry bulb set to 105 f and cannot get the wet bulb  to get past 88 while the MC inside the kiln is about 45%
I have tried raising the temp to 115 f in which case the wet came up to 100 so I set the wet to 95 but as soon as I turned on the compressor the wet side dropped within hours to 95 and the compressor never did come back on.
I did try the wet to 120 f but same results
Is thick bass wood slow and hard to dry or am I missing something.  I did have a load of 10/4 bass wood in before this with no  problem.
Right now the wood is losing about .3 % of moisture per day with the compressor off. 
I have been drying a very long time and have never encountered anything like this
I am stumped, any suggestion's

K-Guy

At that thickness it will be very slow to dry. A general rule to use is to multiply your drying time by 2.5 by each inch over 1"
Nyle Service Dept.
A common mistake people make when trying to design something completely foolproof is to underestimate the ingenuity of complete fools.
- D. Adams

Thank You Sponsors!