The Forestry Forum is sponsored in part by:

iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Forestry Forum
Sponsored by:

TimberKing Sawmills

Toll Free 1-800-582-0470

LogRite Tools

Norwood Industries Inc.

Your source for Portable Sawmills, Edgers, Resaws, Sharpeners, Setters, Bandsaw Blades and Sawmill Parts

EZ Boardwalk Sawmills. More Saw For Less Money!

STIHLDealers.com sponsored by Northeast STIHL

Woodland Sawmills

Peterson Swingmills

KASCO SharpTech WoodMaxx Blades

Turbosawmill

Sawmill Exchange

Michigan Firewood, your BRUTE FORCE Authorized Dealer

Baker Products

ECHO-Bearcat

iDRY Wood Lumber Vacuum Drying for everyon

Nyle Kiln Dry Systems

Chainsawr, The Worlds Largest Inventory of Chainsaw Parts

Smith Sawmill Service

Author Topic: Water wheel or wind powered firewood saw  (Read 2526 times)

Offline moodnacreek

• Senior Member x2
  • Sawin by the notches
    • Share Post
Re: Water wheel or wind powered firewood saw
« Reply #20 on: July 28, 2022, 09:49:12 PM »
If I needed to saw firewood without buying fuel I would use an old indirect injection diesel engine and burn used vegetable or motor oil. I did this for several years on a sawmill with an old Cat 318 diesel, pony start. The settling and filtering of the dirty oil is the thing plus having easy access to the injectors and the old Cat was just right. I also have a 1 cyl. 7 1/2 hp that will do this. Water power is a beautiful thing but way too much up keep.

Offline Ianab

• Administrator
  • Marmite on toast is a real breakfast
    • Share Post
« Reply #21 on: July 29, 2022, 01:01:35 AM »
Hydro would be my choice, assuming a suitable location.

This is a historic hydro generator that's in the local National Park. The unit was built in 1896, and has been operating continuously at it's current site since 1935, It was moved there at that time because there was no mains power at the guest house. It's actually rated for 75 kw, assuming enough water flow and pressure.

https://www.doc.govt.nz/documents/conservation/historic/by-region/dawson-falls-power-station-fact-sheet.pdf

Now that technology is over 100 years old and would run a decent sized sawmill. On a smaller scale a micro-hydro could charge an old EV battery pack. Even if it was only producing ~1kw, it's doing that 24/7, and storing it for later. I guess the same goes for solar and wind too, where a battery would overcome their intermittent nature. 
Weekend warrior, Peterson JP test pilot, Dolmar 7900 and Stihl MS310 saws and  the usual collection of power tools :)

Offline DMcCoy

• Senior Member x2
    • Share Post
« Reply #22 on: July 29, 2022, 08:14:58 AM »
Don P. - I have decided to build something, though my current project list is overflowing.  I already have the hub on the the lathe, bored to 1".  I will broach a keyway.
Using my junk pile,  it will have 4 spokes of 1 3/8" galvanized greenhouse tubing and cedar blades.  If I can make the blades swivel on the spoke it might be useful for over speed protection.  Thinking 8' blades at the moment, which could get real exciting in a bad way. Either spring loaded or counter weights to reef the blades, not sure yet.
Our winds are light when it is windy 5-8 mph.  Max out at 13-15
I really want a jack shaft and pitman arm down near the ground to move the saw.  The see-saw motion would be useful to overcome the starting inertia and help with overall low power.  I have an abundance of #55 ag chain and sprockets so it is doable. Perhaps a V belt pulley and a portion of belt for a brake.  The tower thing I have no ideas, lots of 1/2" galvanized pipe and of course lumber.
Reading about Dutch windmill operators who might put in a 36 hr shift while the wind blows I will never get rid of my chainsaw. ;D

Offline DMcCoy

• Senior Member x2
    • Share Post
« Reply #23 on: July 29, 2022, 08:38:36 AM »
I have become increasingly concerned with anything in the alternative energy realm that requires fuel or batteries.  There is a girl in FL who bought an $11,000 used EV only to need a new battery $14,000...BUT...the battery is not even available.
Jim Kunsler's home solar system needs new batteries and the new code requires lithium ion.  He isn't sure it economically  viable anymore.
Supply chain issues are still there.  Anything I can fix with common and readily available parts, big plus.  Imho our interconnected, just in time inventory, has been shown to be fragile.  
I believe fuel and oils will be available for years into the future, but the price will make the economics of old systems look better.
The intermittency was something our predecessors just accepted.  This is a just a for fun project.
I did find a modern and radical design for windmills.  Interesting to say the least- they store the energy created by compressing 'air' into a liquid and transporting it like you would LNG.
Technology - Keuka Energy

Offline Don P

• Senior Member x2
    • Share Post
    • Calculator Index
« Reply #24 on: July 29, 2022, 05:40:44 PM »
This is I hope a poor perspective engraving of a late 1800's Aeromotor tilting tower.

storage of high quality energy is a hard nut to crack. A lake or pond above a drop is a battery. I can't think of another low tech one.
The future is a foreign country, they will do things differently there - Simon Winchester

Offline moodnacreek

• Senior Member x2
  • Sawin by the notches
    • Share Post
« Reply #25 on: August 01, 2022, 06:55:33 PM »
Alternate energy projects sure are interesting  but is very hard to get completely away from engines or electric motors once you have been there. My operation is very inefficient and it bothers me every time I start up but pushing buttons is so easy.

Offline Don P

• Senior Member x2
    • Share Post
    • Calculator Index
« Reply #26 on: August 03, 2022, 07:02:26 AM »
I've been watching more sash saws go up and down  :)

The future is a foreign country, they will do things differently there - Simon Winchester

Offline DMcCoy

• Senior Member x2
    • Share Post
« Reply #27 on: August 07, 2022, 07:46:08 AM »
Agree with you moodnacreek.  I'm still grid tied for everything but lights in one small building.  I can't even begin to replace my tractor or sawmill with some sort of alternative.  The closest thing I have to alternative energy are my greenhouses and they are so common they hardly count as alternative. It would be nice but it just doesn't make sense at this time.  My projects don't pencil out other than a hobby or conversation pieces.

Share via delicious Share via digg Share via facebook Share via linkedin Share via pinterest Share via reddit Share via stumble Share via tumblr Share via twitter

xx
Wind powered sawmill

Started by Farmerjw on Sawmills and Milling

3 Replies
Last post May 20, 2016, 09:26:11 AM
by lowpolyjoe
xx
Wind powered sawmill

Started by Kingcha on Sawmills and Milling

4 Replies
Last post June 10, 2017, 08:27:56 PM
by brianb88