iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

2022 Garden Seed and Starts - Better get on it!!

Started by SwampDonkey, January 15, 2022, 04:32:31 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

thecfarm

Model 6020-20hp Manual Thomas bandsaw,TC40A 4wd 40 hp New Holland tractor, 450 Norse Winch, Heatmor 400 OWB,YCC 1978-79

newoodguy78

SwampDonkey

The tomatoes taste just like from the garden. I've got another ripe one, plus a couple others turning. Some good to. ;D

Here are some cukes in full bloom.

Elder update, starting to flower. ;)

"No amount of belief makes something a fact." James Randi

1 Thessalonians 5:21

2020 Polaris Ranger 570 to forward firewood, Husqvarna 555 XT Pro, Stihl FS560 clearing saw and continuously thinning my ground, on the side. Grow them trees. (((o)))

SwampDonkey

Garden here is dry as snuff. I put on lime today on the veg and fruit gardens. Soon be rhubarb, even the new ones are coming up. All the berry gardens got a good dump of manure today and the small framed veg gardens did to. Apple tree and plums got some to and lime. I was busy all morning from 7:00 am until noon because I was weeding everything first. So only thing to do is till the veg gardens and add fertilizer, that will be a couple weeks and later at 5 weeks for the main garden. I have some fencing to do to, ground hogs. ;D I've got all kinds of black spruce posts to bring down from the woodlot. ;)  The old back was sore after all that bag handling, some was 40 lbs plus the water that was soaked into it. More like 80lb. :D

2020 Polaris Ranger 570 to forward firewood, Husqvarna 555 XT Pro, Stihl FS560 clearing saw and continuously thinning my ground, on the side. Grow them trees. (((o)))

SwampDonkey

Planted some clumps of basal from the grow tent. Planted onion sets, leaf lettuce, carrot, parsnip seeds. Also planted some iceburg and leaf lettuce from the grow tent. Too soon for anything else. Watered the seeds and plants in, real dry ground on the top 2" of soil. Lots of organic in the garden soil compared to a potato field. Maybe rain this weekend. :)   92F today, but cooler coming this week.

I will plant my tomato seed tomorrow in the grow tent. ;)

kantuckid

A local greenhouse operator, who's also a retired ag teacher- he grows hydroponic tomatoes from his greenhouse and sells at local farmers market. I've tried them and the taste & hard texture was like an off-season grocery store, "brought on" tomato. Do you have outside tomatoes to compare with? 
Our tomato seedling suffered from a month of not much sun to intense sun ever since then! It was difficult to harden them off for transplanting to main garden. Lacking a shade cloth arrangement, we use our screened in front porch with a southern exposure, but some still had burned leaves. 
Now we need rain! 
Kan=Kansas;tuck=Kentucky;kid=what I'm not

SwampDonkey

I don't grow them hydroponically. They are in dirt and taste like the garden ones. ;) Like a potato, the good old dirt changes the flavour. If it is just water and fertilizer, pass. ;)

I plant them directly outside here from the grow tent. They take well to our northern sun.

I put the cukes out this morning in their pots, they require you to be on the ball with fertilizing the blossoms. You have to take pollen from the male and put onto the female blossom. A tomato blossom is a perfect flower, both parts, less fuss to pollinate. I'll let the bees do their work on the cukes, or let them perish. :D

SwampDonkey

Sunday planted tomatoes, basal, lettuce, dill for sets. I see everything is coming up now, might take another day or two to finish germ. I don't set up until mid June. Been 50's this week and wet out. Too cold for garden veg to grow much. 30's F tonight predicted, was 40F this morning. ;D

B.C.C. Lapp

I beat the rain by about 25 minutes today planting.  I put in the first acre of Honey select sweet corn, a half acre of Chieftain potatoes and a half acre of Kennebeck potatoes.  Ill plant more about every ten days now till Im out of seed.   

The Asparagus is doing great, I'm eating that every day for supper now, and its already selling at the stand.  And I put in 10 60ft. rows of candy onions yesterday.  Cabbage, broccoli, brussel sprouts, and  a few other odds and ends in and doing okay.    

As always I have high hopes for the summer but always keeping in mind how fast a season can go south on us.  The Lord gives and the Lord takes away.  We are aware how blessed we are to be able to work this land and spend our days outside in the sun.
Listen, or your tongue will make you deaf.

B.C.C. Lapp

Quote from: SwampDonkey on May 14, 2022, 10:12:26 AM
I don't grow them hydroponically. They are in dirt and taste like the garden ones. ;) Like a potato, the good old dirt changes the flavour. If it is just water and fertilizer, pass. ;)

I certainly agree with that.

21incher

Looks like after  the middle of next week we will be safe to start moving plants out in the garden. Onions , garlic, shallots,  spinach, lettuce,  and radishes doing good now. Those couple of real hot days we got stunted my kale.
Hudson HFE-21 on a custom trailer, Deere 4100, Kubota BX 2360, Echo CS590 & CS310, home built wood splitter, home built log arch, a logrite cant hook and a bread machine. And a Kubota Sidekick with a Defective Subaru motor.

sawguy21

Too cold to do any outdoor gardening, it is snowing on the hills to the east. :'( I have had some early asparagus and radishes which were very good but everything else is going to be a late start.
old age and treachery will always overcome youth and enthusiasm

SwampDonkey

I see some lettuce germination in the garden. The onions I started in the grow tent are starting new green shoots in the garden now, so that was successful so far. I have some other onion starts I'll plant when I set out the peppers and tomatoes, 3 weeks way for that. ;D Only going to be in the 60's next week.

This might be the first year for plums, the frost has held off and no beating hail storms, yet. :D I see blossoms on the Cortland apple. I just planted it for the blooms as I know the bugs will move in on the apples and I don't put sprays on any fruit plants. It is what it is. ;D  I see life in the grape vines, hoping no white frost to reset those. :D

newoodguy78

Quote from: B.C.C. Lapp on May 18, 2022, 04:46:00 PM
I beat the rain by about 25 minutes today planting.  I put in the first acre of Honey select sweet corn, a half acre of Chieftain potatoes and a half acre of Kennebeck potatoes.  Ill plant more about every ten days now till Im out of seed.    

The Asparagus is doing great, I'm eating that every day for supper now, and its already selling at the stand.  And I put in 10 60ft. rows of candy onions yesterday.  Cabbage, broccoli, brussel sprouts, and  a few other odds and ends in and doing okay.    

As always I have high hopes for the summer but always keeping in mind how fast a season can go south on us.  The Lord gives and the Lord takes away.  We are aware how blessed we are to be able to work this land and spend our days outside in the sun.
BCC are you growing potatoes every year, many problems with pests and insects?
I'd like to grow some potatoes here I think they'd sell well. Been looking into a bit wanting to do it without much chemical dependence. Not a lot of information out there on doing it on a decent size scale without heavy input use. 
Not much better than a big helping of fresh baby red potatoes and peas with enough butter to support the dairy farmers. That's my kind of delicious. 

Wlmedley

Got a little hillside garden close to the house.Cucumbers and watermelon are up.Trying using sawdust to keep weeds down when they start vining.Lettuce bed coming along and onions.Taders are looking good in the big garden.Planting sweet corn in a couple days 

Bill Medley WM 126-14hp , Husky372xp ,MF1020 ,Homemade log arch,Yamaha Grizzly 450,GMC2500,Oregon log splitter

Wlmedley

Didn't buy any seed potatoes this year.Had about a half bushel left from last year with plenty of sprouts.Cut them up and planted.No fertilizer yet.So far so good.Already hilled them up once.

Bill Medley WM 126-14hp , Husky372xp ,MF1020 ,Homemade log arch,Yamaha Grizzly 450,GMC2500,Oregon log splitter

21incher

Hudson HFE-21 on a custom trailer, Deere 4100, Kubota BX 2360, Echo CS590 & CS310, home built wood splitter, home built log arch, a logrite cant hook and a bread machine. And a Kubota Sidekick with a Defective Subaru motor.

Wlmedley

<Hillside garden all planted and everything is up.Brushhoged a 1/2 acre bottom,raked it with a hand rake and used grass for mulch.Not much weeding or water will be needed this summer. I use very little fertilizer.Been doing this for years and it works out good.br>

SwampDonkey

Everyone is doing good. Still waiting for warmer days here. Only 60 F and could be frost tonight. I do have onion, carrots, parsnip, lettuce growing in the garden. I have the fence around most of it, ground hogs like all them except onions. :D

B.C.C. Lapp

I put in 225 more pounds of kennebecks and Chieftains today along with 6 more rows of honey select corn.  Almost time to start planting gourds, Indian corn and more kinds of pumpkins than I care to think to hard on.

SwampDonkey

I put in some more garden here today. Sweet Momma winter squash, cuke seeds, yellow and green string beans, beets, talon onion sets from the grow tent, lettuce and basal sets from the grow tent, some more dill weed, small patch of radish. ;D

doc henderson

Timber king 2000, 277c track loader, PJ 32 foot gooseneck, 1976 F700 state dump truck, JD 850 tractor.  2007 Chevy 3500HD dually, home built log splitter 18 horse 28 gpm with 5 inch cylinder and 32 inch split range with conveyor powered by a 12 volt tarp motor

SwampDonkey

Put on the floating fabric on the beats, beans and squash this morning and put up the fencing. Laid down the black fabric where the peppers and tomatoes will go.

Had coons digging in the fresh planted beat beds, so the fence had to go up.

21incher

Looking good. I hate coons. That's why I don't  plant a lot of corn now. I had one try to eat every grape on my vines one night a couple  years back and found him dead under the vines the next morning.  He must have eaten 50 pounds of them that finally did him in. 

newoodguy78

Do you direct seed your beets or transplant them?

Thank You Sponsors!