The Forestry Forum is sponsored in part by:

iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Forestry Forum
Sponsored by:

TimberKing Sawmills

Toll Free 1-800-582-0470

LogRite Tools

Norwood Industries Inc.

Your source for Portable Sawmills, Edgers, Resaws, Sharpeners, Setters, Bandsaw Blades and Sawmill Parts

EZ Boardwalk Sawmills. More Saw For Less Money!

STIHLDealers.com sponsored by Northeast STIHL

Woodland Sawmills

Peterson Swingmills

KASCO SharpTech WoodMaxx Blades

Turbosawmill

Sawmill Exchange

Michigan Firewood, your BRUTE FORCE Authorized Dealer

Baker Products

ECHO-Bearcat

iDRY Wood Lumber Vacuum Drying for everyon

Nyle Kiln Dry Systems

Chainsawr, The Worlds Largest Inventory of Chainsaw Parts

Smith Sawmill Service

Author Topic: Pictures of your trees on the hit list for the mill  (Read 5193 times)

Offline TroyC

• Share Post
Re: Pictures of your trees on the hit list for the mill
« Reply #20 on: February 15, 2022, 10:14:29 AM »
Woodman, how you safely take out that one hung up at 45 degrees? I have a pine about twice that big, hung and leaning. Still alive but on the cut list next week or so.

Offline woodman52

• Share Post
« Reply #21 on: February 15, 2022, 10:55:59 AM »
How do you store the beech beams, inside or outside?

Outside. I am building out buildings, sheds etc. I build with green wood and take into account that the wood is going to shrink/move. Beams take a long time to dry and almost all older timber frame structures were built with green timber. I build mostly post and beam but the same principles apply.
Cooks HD3238 mill, loader tractor, small wood processor, Farmi winch, 60 ac hardwood, certified tree farm

Offline woodman52

• Share Post
« Reply #22 on: February 15, 2022, 11:08:50 AM »
One can tell you've been culling from below.  Very nice looking woods!  it looks in the pics as if the save trees might be a bit overstocked.  Is that the case?

Not so much. In some areas yes, and I take that into consideration. I take advantage of NY states DEC forestry services. I have had foresters go through my woods periodically and I always walk with them and learn what I can. I currently have about 5 acres marked to be thinned and will have more marked when done with the current batch. Most of the trees marked to be thinned are not saw timber but mid story trees. Take down the worst to let the rest grow better and make room for some under story trees. In general, the saw timber is well spaced with some exceptions. 
Cooks HD3238 mill, loader tractor, small wood processor, Farmi winch, 60 ac hardwood, certified tree farm

Offline woodman52

• Share Post
« Reply #23 on: February 15, 2022, 11:41:20 AM »
Woodman, how you safely take out that one hung up at 45 degrees? I have a pine about twice that big, hung and leaning. Still alive but on the cut list next week or so.
That is a good question. The answer is- it depends - on a lot of things. I have a Farmi winch so the first thing I usually do is try to unstick it. If it is cut from the stump that is often not too hard. Wrap the choker so it rotated the tree and pull from a direction that seems appropriate. When they still have the roots attached it gets a lot trickier. I still try to unstick it, but by hooking it up as high as I can. If it is really solid I have been know to use a ladder (I have one that collapses down and is easy to transport in the woods). Once hooked up I will pull sideways or down or shake or whatever seem like is might work. A snatch block can come in handy for this. If a no go I will cut it at the base as if it were standing. This can be tough because it is hard to tell which way the forces are. Always watch the cut and if it turns out the notch is on the wrong side stop and reevaluate. Maybe cut higher with the notch on the other side, maybe cut a from the notch side. It is a good idea to have a second saw with you because there is a good chance of getting a pinch.
I will sometimes attach the winch and put a little pressure on the side away from where I am cutting, so it can't jump that way. Maybe put some pressure toward the hang up so it can't slide back until after you have it severed. 
Just too many if, ands, and buts to tell you how to do it. This is just some of my thought process when I come up against it. There are people on the forum with lots more experience than I have, maybe post this question as a new post and get some better options.
IF IT LOOKS LIKE YOU CAN'T DO IT SAFELY - LEAVE IT.

Offline Roundhouse

• Full Member x2
    • Share Post
« Reply #24 on: February 15, 2022, 01:23:20 PM »
This one is on the list, just not sure how long it will be until I get to it. There are a number of projects and construction lumber that will be done ahead of it. It is the one I look forward to and sometimes daydream about the best way to mill it for some really wild live edge pieces etc. 

Woodland Mills HM130, 1995 F350 7.3L, 1994 F350 flatbed/crane, 1988 F350 dump, Owatonna 770 rough terrain forklift, 1938 Allis-Chalmers reverse WC tractor loader, 1979 Ford CL340 Skid Steer, 1948 Allis-Chalmers B, 1988 Yamaha Moto-4 200, various chain saws

Offline rusticretreater

• I finally have enough wood!
    • Share Post
« Reply #25 on: February 15, 2022, 02:41:12 PM »
If those are solid burls big enough to make bowls on that tree, wood turners would pay to get their hands on them. 
Woodland Mills HM130 Max w/ Lap siding upgrade
Kubota BX25
Wicked Grapple, Wicked Toothbar
Homemade Log Arch
Big Tex 17' trailer with Log Arch
Warn Winches 8000lb and 4000lb
Husqvarna 562xp

Offline mike_belben

• Senior Member x2
  • Pulp Friction
    • Share Post
« Reply #26 on: February 15, 2022, 02:58:27 PM »
i pull stuck and very stuck trees out with the dozer all the time.  just choke the butt and pull in the direction the butt is already sliding.   its almost boring.  
Revelation 13:11-18

Offline TroyC

• Share Post
« Reply #27 on: February 15, 2022, 05:16:42 PM »
i pull stuck and very stuck trees out with the dozer all the time. just choke the butt and pull in the direction the butt is already sliding. its almost boring.

Can't see getting my neighbor's D6 just for this tree and I doubt my tractor is gonna get enuf traction. Thinking of a plunge cut after notching, don't want to barber chair the thing.

Offline rusticretreater

• I finally have enough wood!
    • Share Post
« Reply #28 on: February 15, 2022, 08:42:24 PM »
I had a 40 ft tree that fell into the crotch of another tree.  The root ball was still attached and only halfway torn out of the ground.  I cut a large wedge out of the bottom of the log just like felling a tree.  On top, I also started cutting a wedge, but not all that deep, 2 or 3 inches.  The first cut to make the top wedge should be placed that if it were cut deep, it would align with the wedge cut from the bottom. So when you make the second cut, your small wedge is off center.  

Then I kept taking pieces out, extending the aligned cut deeper and then taking a 1 inch piece off with another second cut.  You gradually open the wedge up and get closer to cutting through without having the tree pinch your chainsaw bar.  When close enough, make the final cut trying to keep your feet well clear.  It will tear out instead of giving you a good finished cut.

I then pulled the stump out of the way.  Then strapped the base of the tree, hooked it to the tractor and gave it a few strong pulls, finally getting it to pull enough to snap the top and fall...into the next crotch down.

I was out of room to pull due to an outbuilding, so I unhitched from the tree and maneuvered the bucket over the tree and lifted a bit with a strap so I could buck off 3-4 feet.  Then I re-hitched and finally pulled it all the way out.
Woodland Mills HM130 Max w/ Lap siding upgrade
Kubota BX25
Wicked Grapple, Wicked Toothbar
Homemade Log Arch
Big Tex 17' trailer with Log Arch
Warn Winches 8000lb and 4000lb
Husqvarna 562xp

Offline Walnut Beast

• Senior Member x2
    • Share Post
« Reply #29 on: February 16, 2022, 01:46:22 AM »
A couple 20 + year old down black gold treasures that are headed to the mill

Offline SwampDonkey

• Forester
  • Large Tooth
    • Share Post
« Reply #30 on: February 16, 2022, 04:54:49 AM »
I experimented with walnut up here, but after 25 years it was obvious they were not frost hardy up this far. I removed them. Then I found 3 seedlings the squirrels started by burying the seed. Two out of three are still alive. I'm hoping that the next generation becomes more hardy, sometimes they do. But it's a gamble for sure. :D  The butternut suffer from weevils that kill the terminals and flower buds that hold the female flower. This is a big problem for nut production, and I have only seen this in recent years. Plus now we have canker pretty much entrenched after Arthur blew in the fungus from the south. Seen trees die within 2 years, or in a bad way, since the hurricane.
No amount of belief makes something a fact. James Randi

1 Thessalonians 5:21

2020 Polaris Ranger 570 to forward firewood, Husqvarna 555 XT Pro, Stihl FS560 clearing saw and continuously thinning my ground, on the side. Grow them trees. (((o)))

Offline Walnut Beast

• Senior Member x2
    • Share Post
« Reply #31 on: February 18, 2022, 09:51:38 AM »
Done playing around with scrounging around of the dead black gold on the ground now the dead stuff standing. A couple ones to start. Then several more

Offline Walnut Beast

• Senior Member x2
    • Share Post
« Reply #32 on: February 19, 2022, 12:04:39 AM »
Burning the midnight oil putting the black gold on the ground

Offline OH logger

• livin the dream
    • Share Post
« Reply #33 on: February 19, 2022, 04:56:26 AM »
This must be the right moon to cut walnut in eh? 😂 

Offline IndiLina

• I'm new!
    • Share Post
« Reply #34 on: February 19, 2022, 03:06:36 PM »
  About 30 acres of this parcel is planted Loblolly Pine. Going through and thinning it will provide plenty of logs for the mill. As well as clearing some room for some solar kilns and maybe a small barn if I magically have the time and energy.   

Skidded out some logs I'd previously dropped to make some room for replanting other species.    

Tracts in So. Indiana, Nor. NC, SW Virginia

Offline Walnut Beast

• Senior Member x2
    • Share Post
« Reply #35 on: February 19, 2022, 04:43:26 PM »
Sounds like a plan. Nice stash of trees to work with 👍

Offline Walnut Beast

• Senior Member x2
    • Share Post
« Reply #36 on: February 19, 2022, 09:56:40 PM »
This this little baby black golds whole top had been blown out so was on the hit list and kaboom 💥 it got hit. Cut the broke off top and a nice 24 stick.  This other little guy has his top broke out and Im not sure what happened to it. Maybe lightning. Do you think there is anything good in it ?

Offline Walnut Beast

• Senior Member x2
    • Share Post
« Reply #37 on: February 20, 2022, 09:07:42 AM »
Hauling them to the mill

Offline mike_belben

• Senior Member x2
  • Pulp Friction
    • Share Post
« Reply #38 on: February 20, 2022, 09:19:47 AM »
Thats a nice setup.   For the tight twisty woods we have i needed it to be a 2wheel trailer with a drop leg and hitched to the front so it pivots like a skidder in the same tracks.  But anyways a skid steer and a trailer can CTL log pretty efficiently with a light footprint if its big enough for the logs and the terrain/mud isnt too bad.  I enjoy it.
Revelation 13:11-18

Offline Walnut Beast

• Senior Member x2
    • Share Post
« Reply #39 on: February 20, 2022, 09:37:54 AM »
Thanks Mike! Going to be bringing some bigger ones out later today. Looking forward to seeing more pictures of your tracked beast and truck skid rig 💪👍

Share via delicious Share via digg Share via facebook Share via linkedin Share via pinterest Share via reddit Share via stumble Share via tumblr Share via twitter

xx
Pictures of Trees

Started by starbits on General Board

2 Replies
Last post October 19, 2014, 06:01:45 AM
by timberlinetree
xx
Damaged trees (pictures)

Started by Woulde on Ask The Forester

13 Replies
Last post April 15, 2010, 11:51:44 PM
by Pilot1
xx
Buying A used Mill?!? Questions Hit List

Started by quadracutter222 on Sawmills and Milling

2 Replies
Last post September 17, 2018, 01:53:22 AM
by Ianab
xx
Hybrid trees- update got pictures

Started by Hiway40frank on Tree, Plant and Wood I.D.

15 Replies
Last post May 08, 2016, 08:06:59 PM
by WDH