iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

Pictures of your trees on the hit list for the mill

Started by Walnut Beast, February 14, 2022, 02:55:58 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

rusticretreater

If those are solid burls big enough to make bowls on that tree, wood turners would pay to get their hands on them. 
Woodland Mills HM130 Max w/ Lap siding upgrade
Kubota BX25
Wicked Grapple, Wicked Toothbar
Homemade Log Arch
Big Tex 17' trailer with Log Arch
Warn Winches 8000lb and 4000lb
Husqvarna 562xp
2,000,000th Forestry Forum Post

mike_belben

Quote from: TroyC on February 15, 2022, 10:14:29 AM
Woodman, how you safely take out that one hung up at 45 degrees? I have a pine about twice that big, hung and leaning. Still alive but on the cut list next week or so.
i pull stuck and very stuck trees out with the dozer all the time.  just choke the butt and pull in the direction the butt is already sliding.   its almost boring.  
Praise The Lord

TroyC

Quote from: mike_belben on February 15, 2022, 02:58:27 PMi pull stuck and very stuck trees out with the dozer all the time. just choke the butt and pull in the direction the butt is already sliding. its almost boring.

Can't see getting my neighbor's D6 just for this tree and I doubt my tractor is gonna get enuf traction. Thinking of a plunge cut after notching, don't want to barber chair the thing.

rusticretreater

I had a 40 ft tree that fell into the crotch of another tree.  The root ball was still attached and only halfway torn out of the ground.  I cut a large wedge out of the bottom of the log just like felling a tree.  On top, I also started cutting a wedge, but not all that deep, 2 or 3 inches.  The first cut to make the top wedge should be placed that if it were cut deep, it would align with the wedge cut from the bottom. So when you make the second cut, your small wedge is off center.  

Then I kept taking pieces out, extending the aligned cut deeper and then taking a 1 inch piece off with another second cut.  You gradually open the wedge up and get closer to cutting through without having the tree pinch your chainsaw bar.  When close enough, make the final cut trying to keep your feet well clear.  It will tear out instead of giving you a good finished cut.

I then pulled the stump out of the way.  Then strapped the base of the tree, hooked it to the tractor and gave it a few strong pulls, finally getting it to pull enough to snap the top and fall...into the next crotch down.

I was out of room to pull due to an outbuilding, so I unhitched from the tree and maneuvered the bucket over the tree and lifted a bit with a strap so I could buck off 3-4 feet.  Then I re-hitched and finally pulled it all the way out.
Woodland Mills HM130 Max w/ Lap siding upgrade
Kubota BX25
Wicked Grapple, Wicked Toothbar
Homemade Log Arch
Big Tex 17' trailer with Log Arch
Warn Winches 8000lb and 4000lb
Husqvarna 562xp
2,000,000th Forestry Forum Post

Walnut Beast

A couple 20 + year old down black gold treasures that are headed to the mill

SwampDonkey

I experimented with walnut up here, but after 25 years it was obvious they were not frost hardy up this far. I removed them. Then I found 3 seedlings the squirrels started by burying the seed. Two out of three are still alive. I'm hoping that the next generation becomes more hardy, sometimes they do. But it's a gamble for sure. :D  The butternut suffer from weevils that kill the terminals and flower buds that hold the female flower. This is a big problem for nut production, and I have only seen this in recent years. Plus now we have canker pretty much entrenched after Arthur blew in the fungus from the south. Seen trees die within 2 years, or in a bad way, since the hurricane.
"No amount of belief makes something a fact." James Randi

1 Thessalonians 5:21

2020 Polaris Ranger 570 to forward firewood, Husqvarna 555 XT Pro, Stihl FS560 clearing saw and continuously thinning my ground, on the side. Grow them trees. (((o)))

Walnut Beast

Done playing around with scrounging around of the dead black gold on the ground now the dead stuff standing. A couple ones to start. Then several more

Walnut Beast

Burning the midnight oil putting the black gold on the ground

OH logger

This must be the right moon to cut walnut in eh? 😂 
john

IndiLina

About 30 acres of this parcel is planted Loblolly Pine. Going through and thinning it will provide plenty of logs for the mill. As well as clearing some room for some solar kilns and maybe a small barn if I magically have the time and energy.   

Skidded out some logs I'd previously dropped to make some room for replanting other species.    

Tracts in So. Indiana, Nor. NC, SW Virginia

Walnut Beast

Sounds like a plan. Nice stash of trees to work with 👍

Walnut Beast

This this little baby black golds whole top had been blown out so was on the hit list and kaboom 💥 it got hit. Cut the broke off top and a nice 24' stick.  This other little guy has his top broke out and I'm not sure what happened to it. Maybe lightning. Do you think there is anything good in it ?

Walnut Beast

mike_belben

Thats a nice setup.   For the tight twisty woods we have i needed it to be a 2wheel trailer with a drop leg and hitched to the front so it pivots like a skidder in the same tracks.  But anyways a skid steer and a trailer can CTL log pretty efficiently with a light footprint if its big enough for the logs and the terrain/mud isnt too bad.  I enjoy it.
Praise The Lord

Walnut Beast

Thanks Mike! Going to be bringing some bigger ones out later today. Looking forward to seeing more pictures of your tracked beast and truck skid rig 💪👍

mudfarmer

First tree I milled with brand new WM was a white pine that got hit by lightning. It blew a 2x4x10' sized chunk right out of the side and 20ft into the woods. Still got some nice lumber

SwampDonkey

Here is what lightning did to a fir. It pretty much killed or fried the apical meristem on every branch. :D Some of those in the photo are probably fried flowers to. Could no longer have shoot growth, so those needles might have lived one more year. I think they live 3 or 4 years before dying on fir.

2020 Polaris Ranger 570 to forward firewood, Husqvarna 555 XT Pro, Stihl FS560 clearing saw and continuously thinning my ground, on the side. Grow them trees. (((o)))

Walnut Beast

Locked and loaded!This 27"black gold was on the hit list and almost hit the ground and the other leaner will be hit soon

SwampDonkey

What's hitting your walnut, some kind of canker or is it logging scares? Looks like some twisty gems in there. Try to keep the trees off the Jeep in there. :D Is that a wind buffer in there for the fields?

Walnut Beast

Good question! No logging but me. No stumps anywhere except from me. Don't think the canker is in this nick of the woods. There are three just as big Black Walnut trees within 20 yards that are just fine. These are a handful of dead trees compared to the numbers of healthy ones. Looking forward to some knarly stuff with character headed to the mill

SwampDonkey

Probably not thousand cankers, but might be target canker. But seems odd for it to be at stump level. Might be more to do with soil conditions.

BlackIrishRedne

Quote from: g_man on February 15, 2022, 06:48:52 AM
I am going to cut this one and bring it to a friend who has a mill and likes to open these things up.

gg
Species? Looks like Oak...
Why do I do it..."All for the Love of Cedar"

cutterboy

I have been eyeing this red maple but will have to wait till the ground warms up and dries out before I can get to it. I need more red maple lumber as it sells very well.

To underestimate old men and old machines is the folly of youth. Frank C.

OH logger

Wht do people use red maple lumber for? Painted trim or cabinets? And do red maple get worm struck as easy as silver maple ? 
john

cutterboy

Furniture of all kinds. Looks like hard maple but softer. It's easier to work with and not so hard on the tools. Also bread boards and toys. A few weeks ago a guy bought 100bf to make spoons.
To underestimate old men and old machines is the folly of youth. Frank C.

Thank You Sponsors!