iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

meat grinder

Started by trapper, February 14, 2022, 10:09:10 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

trapper

The cost of getting deer processed is going up around here and less bucher shops are doing it.  My wife, daughter and I do the small ones ourself.  Would like to do more and would like to get a grinder.    I am considering lem or cabelas .5 horse.  My son would use it also for 2 deer a year.  Would like coments from people that have used them and other brands.
stihl ms241cm ms261cm  echo 310 400 suzuki  log arch made by stepson several logrite tools woodmizer LT30

Bricklayer51

we have a lems #12 had that and a lems stuffer for years they work perfect  we grind pork butts for sausage and the venison they work great

Southside

I have a Weston 22 have ground probably 500 lbs a year with it for over a decade, very happy with it. 
Franklin buncher and skidder
JD Processor
Woodmizer LT Super 70 and LT35 sawmill, KD250 kiln, BMS 250 sharpener and setter
Riehl Edger
Woodmaster 725 and 4000 planner and moulder
Enough cows to ensure there is no spare time.
White Oak Meadows

jb616

I have the Cabela's Deluxe model I think. We have done 8 deer in 3 years and it works fine. 

WV Sawmiller

I only have a large and a small manual grinder and a Rival electric (which did not work for me on my last deer). I usually only grind 10-12 lbs at a time but did grind a whole deer (about 35 lbs of meat) in December.

I bought and used the Weston 5 lb manual press type (Not crank) handle stuffer to do my first ever link sausages out of it and I was well pleased with it. Good luck and let us know how it works out for you.
Howard Green
WM LT35HDG25(2015) , 2011 4WD F150 Ford Lariat PU, Kawasaki 650 ATV, Stihl 440 Chainsaw, homemade logging arch (w/custom built rear log dolly), JD 750 w/4' wide Bushhog brand FEL

Dad always said "You can shear a sheep a bunch of times but you can only skin him once

Mooseherder

Buy one with a stainless steel hopper.  Some models they sell are pot metal that in my opinion leaches into the meat as you're processing.   Grind once with a coarse plate and a second time with a medium or fine plate.  I buy chuck roasts and grind my own burger. :)

Chuck White

I have a Cabela's #8 Heavy Duty Meat Grinder, Model #54-0708.

My son got it for me for Christmas, I don't know how long ago.  It really works nice and is an easy clean-up when finished!

I would not even guess how many deer have been ground up with it!

I'd still like to find a GOOD sage sausage recipe.  I like the sausage you'd typically get for breakfast in a restaurant.
~Chuck~  Cooks Cat Claw sharpener and single tooth setter.  2018 Chevy Silverado and 2021 Subaru Ascent.
With basic mechanical skills and the ability to read you can maintain a Woodmizer  LT40!

Mooseherder

barbender

I bought a LEM this fall, I think it is #8 size? 1/2hp I think. I'm very happy with it, it grinds the meat faster than I can feed it in. I did a deer and a bison (hehe) with it. One big bonus is it is really quiet👍🏻👍🏻
Too many irons in the fire

Walnut Beast

That's a quality unit! Once you have your own grinder you love it and you control the quality of product you put out

trapper

bought the lem #8 big bite tonight at fleet farm.  They had it for $379   Store 30 miles east where my wife goes often had it for $349 and Fleet matched the price.
stihl ms241cm ms261cm  echo 310 400 suzuki  log arch made by stepson several logrite tools woodmizer LT30

barbender

I just fired mine up tonight and ground up a couple large pork roasts that I bought on sale for sausage. It works great, you'll love it trapper👍🏻
Too many irons in the fire

GaTrapper

I have the commercial Cabelas Carnivore grinder 1 HP. It's a beast and I love it. I've had it for a few years and it has processed 3 large hogs and a ton of deer. Never had an issue. 

bluthum

I ground venison for years with a big manual but finally decided it was more work than I needed.  A couple years ago I bought an inexpensive generic electric one, seems like it was well under $40. Seems like it was advertised as 400watts but who knows.

So far it has worked perfectly but only grinds about 2 deer a year. It's far quicker than my biggest hand grinder.  So far, so good.

Thank You Sponsors!