iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

Logging ERC

Started by RedDirt Cedar, May 02, 2022, 10:36:27 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

RedDirt Cedar

Has anyone ever used a timber processor to cut and limb cedar trees?  I'd like to find something more efficient than a chainsaw.  

Southside

I have cut some with my Fabtek 
Franklin buncher and skidder
JD Processor
Woodmizer LT Super 70 and LT35 sawmill, KD250 kiln, BMS 250 sharpener and setter
Riehl Edger
Woodmaster 725 and 4000 planner and moulder
Enough cows to ensure there is no spare time.
White Oak Meadows

nativewolf

@barbender spent a few weeks in the Dakotas on an ERC job and posted some pictures.  Not sure he has insight into how well the processors did on the project.  We're thinking of doing some in July this year, about 30 acres of so so ERC but it will sell well as fence posts if nothing else.  
Liking Walnut

barbender

Yep, it was in Nebraska actually. On the Missouri River. The processor worked great on the red cedar. 
Too many irons in the fire

doc henderson

I reach in with a Stihl pole saw to trim the branches, so I do not get green stuff down my neck. 8) 8) 8)   It is hard to trim branches with the tree on the ground.
Timber king 2000, 277c track loader, PJ 32 foot gooseneck, 1976 F700 state dump truck, JD 850 tractor.  2007 Chevy 3500HD dually, home built log splitter 18 horse 28 gpm with 5 inch cylinder and 32 inch split range with conveyor powered by a 12 volt tarp motor

barbender

The stuff we were cutting, we felt sorry for anyone that felled them by hand. It would've been a real battle just getting to the trunk, there were so many limbs!

Cedarman

We used a Patu processor for a few years.  Stroke delimber.  Worked great. Learning curve is there though. Now most of the cedar comes in tree length that has been run through a pull through delimber.  One company can cut, pull out delimb and load   22 ton in 2 hours.  4 loads a day.  they can cover us up when they get a good patch.
I am in the pink when sawing cedar.

doc henderson

Timber king 2000, 277c track loader, PJ 32 foot gooseneck, 1976 F700 state dump truck, JD 850 tractor.  2007 Chevy 3500HD dually, home built log splitter 18 horse 28 gpm with 5 inch cylinder and 32 inch split range with conveyor powered by a 12 volt tarp motor

barbender

Cedarman, I thought a Patu or similar would be a good answer for that red cedar, on a smaller scale. The Ponsse Cobra with an H6 head devoured it but we were demoing a $1 million harvesting solution...stroke heads look like they have a lot of limbing power for their size, just because of the different way they function. Limby softwoods like plantation white spruce, red pine, and that red cedar don't limb worth a hoot in a roller feed processor head, especially when it gets warm. The limbs get to be like noodles on spruce! I always thought one of the stroke heads would work well in some of these first entry thins we do. BTW, when thinning red cedar in Nebraska I could've swore it was just another northern MN white spruce thin😊

barbender

From my gallery, this was 2 years back I think

Nebraska

I recognize that country. :)

Resonator

Those were some nice looking logs. smiley_thumbsup 
Not all rotten in the center like so many red cedar. 
Under bark there's boards and beams, somewhere in between.
Cuttin' while its green, through a steady sawdust stream.
I'm chasing the sawdust dream.

Proud owner of a Wood-Mizer 2017 LT28G19

GRANITEstateMP

barbender did it smell good after cutting all that red cedar?
Hakki Pilke 1x37
Kubota M6040
Load Trail 12ft Dump Trailer
2015 GMC 3500HD SRW
2016 Polaris 450HO
2016 Polaris 570
SureTrac 12ft Dump Trailer

barbender

I actually don't like the smell of red cedar, only because it reminds me of my sister's stinky little hamster when we were kids- red cedar is used for their bedding. But if I put that memory out of my mind, yes, it was quite aromatic! It was a unique experience, no doubt.

Those logs were very nice. There was ugly ones too, I just didn't take pictures of those😊 I sorted for saw logs, posts, and junk that they didn't know what they were going to do with. 

Now if anyone thinks they're going to set the world on fire going cut to length in red cedar, hold on a second. With a brand new Ponsse Cobra processor, and one of the most experienced Ponsse harvester operators in the Lake States, we were getting about 25 cords in an 8 hour day. The terrain was extremely challenging (Missouri River breaks), and it was a demo so there was a little bit of stopping to do show and tell. On flat ground we might have done 40-50 cords. The locals who had been cutting cedar for posts were amazed at any rate, the most mechanized ones were using a skid steer, chain saw, and a pickup and figured we did about 2 weeks worth of posts in a day😂 But then, our equipment was a bit more $$  

doc henderson

any pics of the pull through delimber?  I remember a video of an old tire rim used, and onw with a hydraulic pack and it ran up the tree to delimb.

Cedarman

Will see if I can get a few pics from the past.
May take a while.
I am in the pink when sawing cedar.

doc henderson

I watched some video at work last pm.  I re-watched the steel wheel being pulled by a winch as well.  that is prob. my price range to spend anyway   :)

barbender

I think it would work better to anchor the wheel, and push the stems back and forth through it with your skid steer. 

RedDirt Cedar

Doc can you link the video of using the steel wheel to delimb the trees.  I have plenty of them laying around.  

doc henderson

Thank You Sponsors!