iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

Colorado Elk, 2022

Started by Magicman, June 06, 2022, 07:22:05 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Magicman

OK, it's 5 months away but Marty has drawn a Bull Elk tag for a 9 day hunt beginning Oct. 29th.   This will be our first trip since 2018.

The plan is for Marty's two Sons to make the trip with us this year.  Ben and Luke will alternate days with one accompanying Marty and the other staying at camp with me.  We will walk about a half mile to an overlook and spend the day glassing.

I will have to dust my bicycle off and start strengthening my legs.  I do not anticipate having any trouble with the total knee replacement that I had done November, 2020.  I am excited.  :)
Knothole Sawmill, LLC     '98 Wood-Mizer LT40SuperHydraulic   WM Million BF Club Member   WM Pro Sawyer Network

It's Weird being the Same Age as Old People

Never allow your "need" to make money to exceed your "desire" to provide quality service.....The Magicman

B.C.C. Lapp

Good luck Magicman. Good hunting.
Listen, or your tongue will make you deaf.

WV Sawmiller

Sounds great. Since I can't get Luke to come off-bear for me you guys might as well enjoy some quality family time together. Good luck but mostly have a great time.
Howard Green
WM LT35HDG25(2015) , 2011 4WD F150 Ford Lariat PU, Kawasaki 650 ATV, Stihl 440 Chainsaw, homemade logging arch (w/custom built rear log dolly), JD 750 w/4' wide Bushhog brand FEL

Dad always said "You can shear a sheep a bunch of times but you can only skin him once

beenthere

That's great news. Looking forward to your trip.
south central Wisconsin
It may be that my sole purpose in life is simply to serve as a warning to others

barbender

It sounds like a great time!
Too many irons in the fire

petefrom bearswamp

Im envious Lynn
Some of the best quality time spent with my son is the Elk/Mule Deer trips we took together to both Colorado and Wyoming.
To spend it with 3 generations is priceless.
I could probably still do a half mile walk, but probably wont go again.
Last trip was when I was a young pup of 75.
Kubota 8540 tractor, FEL bucket and forks, Farmi winch
Kubota 900 RTV
Polaris 570 Sportsman ATV
3 Huskies 1 gas Echo 1 cordless Echo vintage Homelite super xl12
57 acres of woodland

snobdds

Where are you hunting at?

I see October 29, and by then...Wyoming has too much snow for good elk hunting.  Some years it's ok, but more often than not it's hard to hunt in the forests.  So it must be middle to southern Colorado. 

Good luck.  I have my tags in for the area around my cabin.  It's not a very good elk area and more of a moose and deer area.  But I pay for the privlege just to go walk around the forest for a few days.  I never get one but it's worth it. 

Magicman

Almost dead center of Colorado and East of the Divide.  Yes, the 29th is late because they added a week between the 1st and 2nd seasons.  It will absolutely be different.  ::)
Knothole Sawmill, LLC     '98 Wood-Mizer LT40SuperHydraulic   WM Million BF Club Member   WM Pro Sawyer Network

Never allow your "need" to make money to exceed your "desire" to provide quality service.....The Magicman

snobdds

The weather should be more favorable that time of year for that part of the state.  Just watch the forecasts...

I have been in a few major snowstorms while elk hunting.  The first was in the early 90's when a storm came in that dropped 25 inches.   The storm kind of snuck up on people and left a lot of people in a bind.  There were guys with big campers that could not get them out.  The Forrest Service brought in a dozer later to try and get some out, but many had to leave their camper up there over the winter which destroyed them. Luckily we use Canvas wall tents and were able to get out a few days later. 

The last time was just a few years ago.  It was a little better forecasted and this time we had sheriffs and Forest ranges come by our camp and basically said get out as were not coming in to rescue you.  I spent two days setting up and breaking camp, which was more time than I was able to hunt that year. 

Magicman

In 1993 Marty and I tent camped on Grand Mesa, CO, and made the 2 mile trek before daylight.  We very quickly got on some Elk but it started to snow.  It got worse and we decided to head back to camp.  We quickly found out that you can not walk (very far) in knee deep powder snow.  Long story short, that morning was the extent of our hunting.

barbender

The area I hunt in the Bighorns gets better for cow elk hunting later in the season, because most hunting pressure is off. I'd be all for going early November, except for those pesky mountain blizzards😬

Nebraska

Congratulations, I got my "you failed notice from Colorado a couple  days ago. I think I have 24 points now... Turns out I need to be in NYC during the season I was trying to draw.... Somebody was looking out for me. 

snobdds

Quote from: barbender on June 07, 2022, 08:22:59 PM
The area I hunt in the Bighorns gets better for cow elk hunting later in the season, because most hunting pressure is off. I'd be all for going early November, except for those pesky mountain blizzards😬
They start to herd up and slow down to preserve fat reserves for the winter around then. 
The area I hunt starts October 1st and that time in the forest is wild.  Bulls bugling and cruising the forest looking for a mate.  Things are just more active and harder to hunt, but it's my favorite time of year in the mountains. Cool mornings and warm afternoons...perfect. 

SawyerTed

Looking forward to seeing your photos of the trip.  Good luck on the elk!
Woodmizer LT50, WM BMS 250, WM BMT 250, Kubota MX5100, IH McCormick Farmall 140, Husqvarna 372XP, Husqvarna 455 Rancher

Magicman

I hate to admit it but sometimes I need a motive to stay motivated.

So today I got the Schwinn out that has not been ridden since 2018, and gave it a well needed washing and aired the tires.  It's not some kind of trail or racing bike but just an ordinary 7 speed.  After it cools off a bit this evening, I'll take it for a half mile ride and gradually build up from there.

I now have a motive.   ;D 

WV Sawmiller

Lynn,

While you are at it you could hook a trailer and deliver firewood or go ahead and get a paper route and moonlight some to off-set your trip expenses while you get in shape for it. ;)
Howard Green
WM LT35HDG25(2015) , 2011 4WD F150 Ford Lariat PU, Kawasaki 650 ATV, Stihl 440 Chainsaw, homemade logging arch (w/custom built rear log dolly), JD 750 w/4' wide Bushhog brand FEL

Dad always said "You can shear a sheep a bunch of times but you can only skin him once

Magicman

Not a chance on either. 

I made a half mile this evening, could have gone further but I said gradually and gradually is how it will be.  I'll add a few hundred yards each day and keep it fun.   :)

Magicman

I added another hill today and plan to increase my distance to a mile tomorrow and from there I will add more distance each day. I'll be regularly hitting 8-10 miles by the end of October, but not so much during the end of July & August because it will be HOT!! I am enjoying the thought of getting these 78 year old bones back into shape.

That plus I need to dull a few sawblades.  ::)

WV Sawmiller

I'm sorry I am not closer. If I were I could offer to trade your fancy ride along seat mill for my walk beside model for a few months. Maybe there are other members closer you can help in this fashion. :D Anything for a buddy - right? ;)
Howard Green

barbender

Howard, you're just always looking out for the other guy!😁

Snobdds, I prefer October too. The last time we went hunting, my daughter drew a cow elk tag and we were confident of success in the early cow season. Our confidence was very unfounded- we found that the early season has so many hunters on the mountain (more than there were for the bull season we hunted the prior fall) driving everywhere on ATV's and side by sides that the elk were back way off of the roads. That's not a problem and I'm not afraid to work for them, but when the temp is hitting 60°-70° I can't see how you are getting an elk out and cooled down from 3 miles in- especially on foot like we were. So the reason the locals say to come in the late season, is that the bulk of the hunting groups have left, the elk are unmolested and you can find them where you don't need horses to get them out. The locals will all tell you- ATV's have ruined the hunting in that area. 

SwampDonkey

Great! Have to take every opportunity for a good time outdoors with the family. Always looked forward to hunting grouse and trout/salmon fishing with grandpa. You must have lots of tales and wisdom saved up. ;)
"No amount of belief makes something a fact." James Randi

1 Thessalonians 5:21

2020 Polaris Ranger 570 to forward firewood, Husqvarna 555 XT Pro, Stihl FS560 clearing saw and continuously thinning my ground, on the side. Grow them trees. (((o)))

Jeff

If there is no room in the trunk, I'd be fine strapped to the roof or sitting in a big cooler.
Just call me the midget doctor.
Forestry Forum Founder and Chief Cook and Bottle Washer.

Commercial circle sawmill sawyer in a past life for 25yrs.
Ezekiel 22:30

Magicman

How 'bout in a rocking chair with Granny Clampett?? 

I can tell you now that if you rock across Texas, that's a lotta Rockin'.  I have watched the sun rise and set on me in Texas many times.  ::)

Jeff

I'll even let ya call me Jethro, or Bodeen. That was actually one of my nicknames in another life.
Just call me the midget doctor.
Forestry Forum Founder and Chief Cook and Bottle Washer.

Commercial circle sawmill sawyer in a past life for 25yrs.
Ezekiel 22:30

Texas Ranger

Kinda gives "don't let the sun set on ya" a new meeting, doesn't it?
The Ranger, home of Texas Forestry

Thank You Sponsors!