iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

Minwax stain FYI

Started by azmtnman, June 26, 2022, 10:02:36 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

azmtnman

I was having trouble finding the oil based Minwax in Puritan Pine. I saw that Sherwin-Williams was a Minwax dealer so I stopped in at our local SW store. The lady told me that Minwax is getting away from the individual pre-mixed stains and are going to a mix-on-sight product. The big box stores had no clue. 
   This gallon doesn't have to match anything but I'm going to need some that does match what I already have. We'll see how it works.
1983 LT 30, 1990 Kubota L3750DT, 2006 Polaris 500 EFI, '03 Dodge D2500 Cummins powered 4X4 long-bed crew cab, 1961 Ford backhoe, Stihl MS250, MS311 and MS661--I cut trees for my boss who was a Jewish carpenter!

firefighter ontheside

That's interesting and odd.
Woodmizer LT15
Kubota Grand L4200
Stihl 025, MS261 and MS362
2017 F350 Diesel 4WD
Kawasaki Mule 4010
1998 Dodge 3500 Flatbed

rusticretreater

Puritan Pine stain is listed on the Lowe's website.  You may have to get it shipped in, but it should be available to you.
Woodland Mills HM130 Max w/ Lap siding upgrade
Kubota BX25
Wicked Grapple, Wicked Toothbar
Homemade Log Arch
Big Tex 17' trailer with Log Arch
Warn Winches 8000lb and 4000lb
Husqvarna 562xp
2,000,000th Forestry Forum Post

thecfarm

That is sold at the hardware store I work at.
No word on the change, yet.
Model 6020-20hp Manual Thomas bandsaw,TC40A 4wd 40 hp New Holland tractor, 450 Norse Winch, Heatmor 400 OWB,YCC 1978-79

Tom King

I'll be sad to see it go.  I've used Puritan Pine mixed with Natural to add a little color to SYP without reversing what is supposed to be the darker grain since 1974.

doc henderson

they came out with the stain and "sealer" all in one, that I never had use for.  I used to buy the stain by the gallon.  the old name was "colonial maple", but now use the "gun stock" on stuff, but it has a little too much red in it.  I like to buy the same brand oil based and you can tint and mix together.  almost all of my projects get the amber color from the finish and are otherwise natural.  At least it is not PURPLE.  @Old Greenhorn
Timber king 2000, 277c track loader, PJ 32 foot gooseneck, 1976 F700 state dump truck, JD 850 tractor.  2007 Chevy 3500HD dually, home built log splitter 18 horse 28 gpm with 5 inch cylinder and 32 inch split range with conveyor powered by a 12 volt tarp motor

kantuckid

When I taught woodworking I kept Minwax for the kids as sort of foolproof finish. I have personally used it as a stain but never liked their all-in-one products they sold. 
Walmart has lots of the stuff as do most box stores, worry not? 
I watch shelves for clearances like when Walmart changes stock carried and buy all I see of things like varnish they switched out last year and more. I LOVE Lowe's ability to create miss tints that I can use. 
Kan=Kansas;tuck=Kentucky;kid=what I'm not

21incher

I agree with kantuckid about Lowes. Bring in a sample and they will match it very close with their mixing system. It's the easiest way to match aged stain on things like trim.
Hudson HFE-21 on a custom trailer, Deere 4100, Kubota BX 2360, Echo CS590 & CS310, home built wood splitter, home built log arch, a logrite cant hook and a bread machine. And a Kubota Sidekick with a Defective Subaru motor.

Don P

We used to buy mismixed oil based paint, mix them all together and paint the subfloor. Generally it was some shade of pink when it was all done. It came out a pretty brilliant off white on one job, I nearly went blind before we got a lid on that box  :D.

azmtnman

I don't think they're doing away with the color--just the way we are used to seeing it packaged in the good ole yellow can like we've bought for years.
It could just be a Sherwin-Williams thing, but I haven't been able to locate any at a retail store for several months. They still have some of the other colors. 
1983 LT 30, 1990 Kubota L3750DT, 2006 Polaris 500 EFI, '03 Dodge D2500 Cummins powered 4X4 long-bed crew cab, 1961 Ford backhoe, Stihl MS250, MS311 and MS661--I cut trees for my boss who was a Jewish carpenter!

Thank You Sponsors!