iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

First New Saw in a Few Years

Started by labradorguy, July 10, 2022, 09:42:41 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

labradorguy

Hey all...
I'm buying a new saw and had a question. All I run are Husky XP saws. I still have a 371xp running that I bought new in '98 and have logged with every year. I have no clue how many hours are on it or how that thing is still running, but *DanG it's the best saw I ever owned. It's starting to show its age though, so I'm thinking of moving it to the bullpen and adding a new one to the starting rotation. 572XP seems like a natural replacement. I see it has a computer on it and emissions crap. Great, every saw in the woods needs a computer.... What the hell happened to carrying a screwdriver? Nine times out of ten, when my tractors or heavy equipment go down, it's emissions related. I've already figured out that this will not be a 20 year saw, but is there anything I can do to improve its performance and lifespan like I do for my choked down power strokes? Thanks!

Real1shepherd

If you wanna stay in the same class saw (70cc), I'd look at the Echo 7310. It is a true 'pro' saw and priced well below its competition. Not a computer saw and with lots of mag pieces. More old-school with a modern bent.

Buying a pro saw will hedge your bet for longevity. There's no reason the computer 'pro' saws can't deliver longevity either. With firmware updates they just keep getting better and better.

The EPA attacked the chainsaw industry because they could. Just like the IRS attacks middle income and poor people rather than take on the big-fish cheaters. Path of least resistance kinda thing.........

Kevin

lxskllr

Echo makes a good saw, and is worth considering, but if Husqvarna gives you the warm fuzzies, just stick with them. Reading around on the internet will show you problems with all the brands, cause people post when they have problems. You don't hear about the fifth day of flawlessly putting wood on the ground.

I use echo and Stihl, and those are the only brands I'd really consider barring a smoking deal. I had a fairly low hour Husky brushcutter fail a coil, and left me in a bad spot. Bad enough that I had to buy another machine of the exact same one to get me out of it. Was it Husqvarna's fault? :shrugs: Stuff happens, but it was an objective mark against them for me. Combined with the slim Husky presence around here, it made it easier for me to pick echo and Stihl.

Point is, it helps my head feel better, and cuts down on options to make selection easier. Contrary to intuition, sometimes having more options makes life more difficult. Shuffle the brands around, and you'll have someone else's story. A computer saw sometimes requires professional intervention to fix, but any quality brand should last long enough to pay for the occasional doctor visit, and you won't have to carry a screwdriver. Get what you think will make you happiest, and don't worry about the computer.

sawguy21

We are stuck with emission compliant internal combustion engines whether we like it or not. Gotta preserve that ozone layer at all cost and keep the eco nazis happy. ::) The 572XP should serve you well with reasonable care and a supportive dealer.
old age and treachery will always overcome youth and enthusiasm

Real1shepherd

Well, I've only owned Husky and Jonsered(s) so I'm pretty partial. But the Echo 7310 has a lot going for it in my opinion. I was seriously considering buying it a few yrs ago. But COVID changed everything and I'm not buying anything 'new' of substantial value.

Kevin

Spike60

572 is unreal, but...............They still make the 372; get another one. It doesn't have a computer. You've been running one for 25 years. Anything else you try will feel somewhat off. After you get it, you'll have time to drop a new P&C on the ole 371; maybe new seals as well and bring 'er back to happier times.

Husqvarna-Jonsered
Ashokan Turf and Timber
845-657-6395

labradorguy

Quote from: Spike60 on July 10, 2022, 07:40:23 PM
572 is unreal, but...............They still make the 372; get another one. It doesn't have a computer. You've been running one for 25 years. Anything else you try will feel somewhat off. After you get it, you'll have time to drop a new P&C on the ole 371; maybe new seals as well and bring 'er back to hap. pier times.
I've heard good stuff about them. I'm just wary of computers on stuff like that... When the 371 came out, it was a game changer for me. Used a concrete saw engine in a chainsaw... Crazy. lol I loved it from the first cut. Huskys fit me well. I'm not one of those guys that dicks around with 1 or 2 chains and all those weekender filing contraptions. I carry two dozen chains with me on the equipment so I always have a sharp one on the saw. The way that thing can rev, it eats. My 372 also... Was going to get another 372, but the 572 intrigues me. Lots of good reviews but they haven't been out long enough to get much feedback on how they hold up.
Oh yeah- 371xp frame off restoration is on the winter planning book. lol
There has to be some kind of delete out there.
Thanks for all the feedback guys.

barbender

I bought a 562xp a couple years back, and I love the way that saw runs. You'd really have to have the bar buried to ever tell that a 372 had more power. The 562 is a lot lighter and the throttle response is incredible. When my 562 and Jred 2171 are sitting next to each other on the shelf, I end up with the 562 in my hands every time. 
Too many irons in the fire

DHansen

I have a 572xp and it is a great saw.  But thanks to this forum I knew exactly what to do when it started poor and didn't want to idle.  I had been cutting for a good 30-40 minutes.  Set the saw down, left running, to roll some logs into position.  Had my ear muffs on.  When I picked up the saw it was not running.  Had run out of fuel.  This affected the auto tune.  But refueled and run wot in a large cut, and back to perfect.  Again thanks for the education I get from this forum.

snobdds

If you don't want a computer, there are still Husky 372 out there.  The new Husky 585 is non computer saw. 

Stihl also has pro saws with no computer.  The forest service does not buy computer based saws, so Stihl still makes all their pro saws with a standard carb.  Might need to order one in.  

labradorguy

I run extra oil in everything. Will that bugger up the autotune??

barbender

I run mine at 40:1 and err on the rich side of that. I haven't had any problems from my Husky 562 or Stihl 261, both auto tune.

DHansen

I also run 40:1 on all my Husqvarnas From a 1983 154se to the 572xp.  Even a 2022 model year 592xp.  If it is hampering performance, I have not noticed it!

labradorguy

Done deal. She's on her way. Thanks for all the info guys.

Spike60

Husqvarna-Jonsered
Ashokan Turf and Timber
845-657-6395

drlewis

i got the echo cs 7310 with a 20 in bar .i  like it alot  i have 820 and 920 jonsered with long bars and 590 echo 18  bar i have used hard for 7 years with a 562 xp autotune 18 bar that has run great but the 7310 is a real good saw for money i  have about 8 tanks of gas in it and it still gets better all the time

labradorguy

Quote from: Spike60 on July 12, 2022, 04:10:10 PM
Which one?  :)
572xp. It pairs up nicely with my 372 and 371. All have 24" bars.

caveman

For what it's worth, we were going through this a month or so ago.  After smashing our 365, we wanted to replace it.  The saws we really considered were the 372xp and the 572xp.  I have a couple of 545's, which are autotune saws.  They have run well and are reliable.  We ended up buying a 572xp with a 24" bar.  Two days later, I returned to the saw shop and bought another 572xp and 20" and 28" bars.  We run 40:1 mix also.  The 572xp is the smoothest saw I've run and it gets better the more we use it.

I do not run a chainsaw for a living but I do appreciate good tools. 
Caveman

labradorguy

40:1 and yank the spark arrest out and the autotune thing is good with that? Just wanted to confirm. 

It's taking a lot of willpower to not drill a hole in the muffler and weld a stubby pipe on it. I imagine auto tune wouldn't like that at all...

There has to be some kind of delete for the pollution crap out there somewhere.

barbender

If Autotune can compensate for a  dirty air filter, or running at 8000' above sea level, shouldn't it be able to compensate for a muffler mod too?

rusticretreater

My Husqvarna 562xp is 50:1 and Husqvarna recommends that for all engines up to 75cc.

As for autotune adjusting to major changes in the saw, its only as good as the programming and formulas it uses to calculate things.  Big changes might mess it up, but some folks push the boundaries and help the rest of us out.
Woodland Mills HM130 Max w/ Lap siding upgrade
Kubota BX25
Wicked Grapple, Wicked Toothbar
Homemade Log Arch
Big Tex 17' trailer with Log Arch
Warn Winches 8000lb and 4000lb
Husqvarna 562xp
2,000,000th Forestry Forum Post

Skeans1

I swap between modified mufflers and stock mufflers depending on the time of year on my auto tune saws without issues. I've ran 40 to 1 and 50 to 1 without issues mind you mine are old girls one is a 11 the other is a 12 with some hard hours. As far as putting pipes personally not my personal favorite way of doing them I prefer extra deflectors it still makes the saw usable for timber falling same with the screens we always leave them in and add them into the extra deflectors.

labradorguy

On my 395XPs the muffler sits so far forward that the pipe doesn't get in the way with felling. Plus it's great for setting on a stump and warming your fingertips in front of it. It's the little things... LOL. I'm used to squared off sewing machine looking saws. This 572 looks like it's been put in a wind tunnel. 
I don't like the priming bulb. Those always crap out on me. 
There's a little white plastic disc in the bottom of the box that I have no clue on what it is. There's a bag of parts too. I'm guessing extras?
I'm going to see what she's made of tomorrow.

labradorguy

Quote from: rusticretreater on July 21, 2022, 11:43:17 PM
My Husqvarna 562xp is 50:1 and Husqvarna recommends that for all engines up to 75cc.

As for autotune adjusting to major changes in the saw, its only as good as the programming and formulas it uses to calculate things.  Big changes might mess it up, but some folks push the boundaries and help the rest of us out.
That's what they recommend... Adding extra oil on saws that work hard never hurts a thing. I'd never run 50:1. I'm 35:1 on everything except my outboard, that's 30:1.

Spike60

No worries about opening up the mufflers on these saws as far as the auto-tune goes. Have at it. :)
Husqvarna-Jonsered
Ashokan Turf and Timber
845-657-6395

MattM

Quote from: labradorguy on July 22, 2022, 09:44:18 PM
Quote from: rusticretreater on July 21, 2022, 11:43:17 PM

As for autotune adjusting to major changes in the saw, its only as good as the programming and formulas it uses to calculate things.  Big changes might mess it up, but some folks push the boundaries and help the rest of us out.
That's what they recommend... Adding extra oil on saws that work hard never hurts a thing. I'd never run 50:1. I'm 35:1 on everything except my outboard, that's 30:1.
That's not quite true. To much oil in your mix with modern oils reduces performance and can create a ton of carbon buildup on your piston and around the exhaust port. I've had to rebuild quite a few saws that had a bit of carbon tear the bejesus out of the cylinder, rings and piston when it let go.
Using to much mix oil isn't improving anything it's just throwing away good money... Like over oiling with a modern bar and chain, it only needs just enough oil... any more than that and your just spraying it on the ground and wasting money.
Just my 2cents  :laugh:
LT35HDG25

Thank You Sponsors!