iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

Stihl Dealer Closing

Started by firefighter ontheside, July 14, 2022, 12:59:45 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Magicman

I'm not a fire crew but in addition to 2 saws, I also carry a spare bar/chain.

Back in the day when I did not have a spare anything, I hung my saw while falling.  I removed the saw and left the woods.  When I returned the next day the tree was on the ground and the bar/chain were unharmed.
Knothole Sawmill, LLC     '98 Wood-Mizer LT40SuperHydraulic   WM Million BF Club Member   WM Pro Sawyer Network

It's Weird being the Same Age as Old People

Never allow your "need" to make money to exceed your "desire" to provide quality service.....The Magicman

Al_Smith

I do admit I have stuck two saws in the same tree .Duh !

SwampDonkey

So far over the years I've never left a bar or chainsaw behind. I've pinched a saw before, yes. Sometimes when you do, you're not thinking, because you did something dumb. :D I'm not working in huge wood, and mostly to free up a bar I just drive a spark plug wrench in the cut or a few cracks with the axe. Probably happens once a year.
"No amount of belief makes something a fact." James Randi

1 Thessalonians 5:21

2020 Polaris Ranger 570 to forward firewood, Husqvarna 555 XT Pro, Stihl FS560 clearing saw and continuously thinning my ground, on the side. Grow them trees. (((o)))

Tacotodd

Quote from: Ianab on July 19, 2022, 01:21:11 AM

Never hurts to have a backup saw. Now more relating to the "did something dumb" thread, it's possible to get TWO saws stuck in the same log, while trying to free the first pinched one. :-[
Ianab, I've even got 3 stuck. Only one time, but it happened. I've now got more saws but need them much less to help with my mistakes that I might make. Now I can do the same job with only using 1 most of the time.
Trying harder everyday.

Kawaliga

Quote from: Al_Smith on July 15, 2022, 12:46:30 PM
Things evolve weather we like it or not .Otherwise we would be discussing things at the "deacons bench " outside the general store and certainly not over the internet .Never say never because eventually it will happen .They thought Jules Verne was nutty as a fruit cake but I'm living proof it did come to pass from the novel "20,000 leagues under the sea" .About 100 years after he wrote about it .---Under the spreading chestnut tree the village smithy snoozes .No horses since 1923 have came to him for shoes's  . ;D From crank telephones that hung on the wall to cell phones that fit in your pocket in one quantum leap .
Battery powered vehicles will never be the success they are leading people to believe,
I doubt they will ever replace a chainsaw either, ok for a few cuts, but day in day out work,
no way.
Battery powered vehicles are being used to put fosil fuel types off the road, just like
the powers that be want the guns too, they have their reasons and being kind to the
planet is not one of them, time will prove what they are up to.

stavebuyer

The "problem" with the low kickback chain is it is a pain to lower the rakers with a file in the field. The single raker chain and  half of a lick with the flat file and your chain is biting better than new.

Thank You Sponsors!