iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

C4 Can car Pole skidder with Germatic winch, Brake wont hold

Started by hanstedtwr, August 21, 2022, 10:49:35 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

hanstedtwr

Just picked up this skidder with the Germatic # 9 Winch, the winch brake will not hold with a heavy load, winches great other wise. Also the winch cable pulls out hard. We did go through and clean up the winch guts, it was sitting for a few years. I will try to post pictures soon, any ideas would be great. We are typically a CTL operation but this was a must for a down hill skid on with storm damage. Most of the wood is average 24-inch diameter logs.
550 Cat Harvester with fabtek 180 dangle head, 2006 John Deere 1010D, Conehead 585 Chipper, Cancar C 4 cable skidder, Dyna sc 14 firewood processor and many other toys

C5C Tree Farmer

With the winch under load check to see if the upper anchor hole on the primary brake band (the narrow one) is hitting the the pin boss that is directly above it. Easiest to see with the winch cover off and a couple of trees hanging on the mainline.

The primary band wraps CCW in the brake mode and sometimes the long taper on the band anchor hits the pin boss which limits the amount of brake pressure the secondary brake band (the wide one) can exert. If you find this is the case just notch the taper area on the primary band anchor until you have clearance under load.

Gary Davis

when my gearmatic 8 slips its either because there is oil on the brake or air in the line but it acts like mine did when there was air in the line , when they get moisture in them they get hard to pull out

Thank You Sponsors!